Memory Issue

Old September 28th 07, 12:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bluenose 637

Default Memory Issue

Hi all,

I've got my new rig up and going. Asus P5K Deluxe,4 gb Kingston RAM, Nvidia
GTS 8800, WD SATA 2 HDD, SATA 2 RW DVD, SATA 2 DVD, Intel core 2 duo E6850.
Win xp sp2 / Vista 32 dual boot

Got things up and running fine. But I started getting random CTDs in some
programs and the error message referred to memory issue (could not copy,
etc). I installed my old 3.5" drive and ran MEMTEST 86. Let it run all
night and sure enough I had some errors. I could not tell which stick though
so opened up the case and installed the sticks one at a time (total of 4)
and ran MEMTEST 86. No errors. So then I took one stick and move it to
each DIMM slot and ran the MEMTEST 86. No errors. 8 runs total no run less
than 6 hours (I seem to recall more than 15 passes).

The only thing I can think of is that there is a heat issue when I have all
4 sticks in and the cover on. The memory is "bare" does not have the heat
shields I have had on other memory. I have checked my MB temps and it never
seems to get above 125F when I am looking and is usually around 110F. My CPU
temp is usually about 100 - 105F under load, sub 100 when idle. My CPU fan
hangs around 410RPM. two other fans in the case - one 120mm on back and one
120 mm on top. Power supply is in seperate compartment with own fan. Fans
are only 3 prong so I can't see RPMs, but they are always running. Using
the fan control on the MB.

Do it look like heat or could it be something else I can check.

Old September 28th 07, 02:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bruce Xia

Bluenose 637 wrote:
[...]

Is the memory listed on the Asus QVL ?

http://www.asus.com/999/download/pro...46/1646_10.pdf

Try two known good modules next, for several days. Leave the case closed.

Old September 28th 07, 02:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bluenose 637

Hi Bruce,

Yes it is. I have the KVR800D2N5K2/2G the K2 indicates it is a kit of 2.
So that should be the same as the KVR800D2N5 / 512 on the list. Just the 2G
version. The 512 version is listed as working fine with 4 slots. I had not
thought about the fact that the 4 1G sticks might have issue with the 4
slots.

Old September 30th 07, 04:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
ASI Industries

Add ` /pae' switch to the `boot.ini'` file.

Also check with Kingston for the voltage and ram timings for your ram, the
bios auto some times gets it wrong for example:
Corsair CM2X1024-5400-C4 (ddr2-667)
Auto: 1.8v 5.5.5.15
Real: 1.9v 4.4.4.12

Also what psu have you got?

Old October 1st 07, 04:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bluenose 637

Hi,

What does the /pae switch do?

I have an Antec Phantom 500. Essentially silent. Very quiet rig.

I'll check the voltage and timings from Kingston and manually set them.

Old October 1st 07, 07:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bruce Xia

Bluenose 637 wrote:
Hi,

What does the /pae switch do?

Starting with NT5 the /PAE switch allows 32-bit versions of Windows to
address more than 4GB of physical memory.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833721

Old October 2nd 07, 01:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
jørgen

Bruce Xia wrote:

Starting with NT5 the /PAE switch allows 32-bit versions of Windows to
address more than 4GB of physical memory.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833721

You probably need a server edition to get pae to address above 4GB

Old October 3rd 07, 02:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bluenose 637

With the Voltage on the memory up I'm not having any ctds. If I let memtest
86+ run for 8 to 10 hours i will generate and error or two. Not ideal. But
functional for now. If I am having issues again I can likely pull one stick
and go downn to 3 total and bring the volatge back down to default.

"Bluenose 637" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Memory Issue Bluenose 637 Asus Motherboards 6 September 30th 07 12:39 AM
Memory Issue Mark Compaq Computers 2 October 12th 04 05:08 PM
memory issue jono General 1 March 30th 04 08:57 PM
Help: GA-K8N Pro Memory Issue Default User Gigabyte Motherboards 0 November 29th 03 10:36 AM
memory issue S.Boardman General 4 October 12th 03 11:53 PM