Meaning of OEM

Old October 17th 06, 03:13 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

Default Meaning of OEM

While I know that 'OEM' means ink as supplied by the printer
manufacturer to most people in this newsgroup might I point out that
it means something quite different in the 'computer spares' context in
the UK at least.

What OEM means to me is "as supplied *to* an Original Equipment
Manufacturer". In other words it's a computer part (or whatever) in a
bulk/minimal format with no retail packaging etc. If you look through
the computer suppliers here you'll find quite a lot of "OEM" parts and
they are significantly *cheaper* than the alternative (sometimes
described as "Retail packed") parts.

An OEM optical drive (for example) will come in a plain bag with no
extras like software on CD or instructions whereas a "retail" one will
have a pretty box, CDs of software, etc.

So to a UK person buying computer supplies "OEM" tends to mean
cheaper, without frills, not what it seems to mean here.

--
Chris Green
Old October 17th 06, 05:16 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Burt

wrote in message
[...]

Same in the US, Chris. Although the part is cheaper by virtue of bulk
sales, less packaging, shipping, marketing, etc, it is the same part as
others with the mfg's same ID number or name.

Old October 17th 06, 05:25 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
MCheu

On 17 Oct 2006 14:13:00 GMT, wrote:

[...]

OEM actually means the same thing in the greater context. For
whatever reason, it seems that it's easier for most people to
understand using the vehicular model, where this same system is used.

Let's say you own a car made by General Motors. If you buy
replacement parts sourced through them ("Genuine GM Parts"), they're
said to be the OEM parts. It doesn't matter if they're actually made
by GM or not, but they're warranted and packaged for sale by GM for GM
vehicles. Even if you found "Mazda" labeling on some component
sourced this way, it'd still be considered a "genuine GM part."

Now, if you were to buy a compatible part made by another
manufacturer, or even if you were to source the part from the same
source that GM got theirs from, it'd be considered "aftermarket"
because it doesn't go through GM at all. That's what we mean when we
talk about OEM inks. If we're talking about Canon OEM ink, we mean
that it was bought by Canon from some source, they put it in a box
labeled Canon and sold and intended to be used in a Canon printer.

In the case of computer parts, it's the same thing, but people don't
like to think of it in the same terms. Let's say you bought a
computer from Ed's computer shop (ECS). Ed is the OEM. They made the
computer. They'll buy some bulk parts that are intended to be used as
replacement parts or as new components for ECS computers. All of
those components are technically branded "genuine Ed's computer
parts", because they're warranted by Ed, and packaged for sale by Ed
for computers made by Ed. The packaging might not amount to much
beyond a sticker that says "Ed's computer shop" on the plastic wrap,
and sometimes not even that, but that's what's meant by an OEM part
that you buy from a computer shop. The ones in the retail boxes are
(in these terms) aftermarket parts by Sony, Toshiba, NEC, etc.

Thanks.

MCheu
Old October 17th 06, 06:25 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Fred McKenzie

In article ,
wrote:

An OEM optical drive (for example) will come in a plain bag with no
extras like software on CD or instructions whereas a "retail" one will
have a pretty box, CDs of software, etc.

So to a UK person buying computer supplies "OEM" tends to mean
cheaper, without frills, not what it seems to mean here.

Chris-

Suppose you have a brand X computer. It needs a new optical drive, so you
order one from the manufacturer. What you receive may have been made by
some other drive company, but it is the one specified by the computer
manufacturer for your particular model. That is an OEM part, as specified
by the Original Equipment Manufacturer. You shouldn't need software or
instructions, since those came with the computer when you bought it.

If you know which optical drive is specified for your computer, you may be
able to save money by buying it from some other source. It is still the
OEM-specified drive.

This is approximately the meaning of OEM that was used in industry since
before computers and inkjet printers came along. However, it is clear
that meanings change over time. That is how language evolves. I can't
understand the meaning of many of the phrases used by today's teenagers.
I recognize the words, but not how they are used!

Fred
Old October 18th 06, 03:57 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

As you mention OEM means "Original Equipment Manufacturer", as opposed
to a 3rd party product. It may not be MADE by the company that packages
it, but it is the product that manufacturers supply to the public with
their product.

The term, for instance, is used with car parts. For example, Honda used
Michelin for the tires sold on their cars from the factory. The tires
usually are special order, made in huge quantities for Honda and may not
be available to the general public as a part, even though Michelin make
lots of tires that will fit Hondas. If your Michelin Honda tire were to
fail during warranty, you may not be able to get a replacement from a
Michelin dealer, but would be able to from Honda.

Honda got the tires for less than an equivalent Michelin tire would be
available to you because it is supplied to Honda in vast quantities, may
have some features removed or adapted, and the packaging or labeling
might be different.

However, again with car parts, an OEM part made by either the car
manufacturer, or their sub contractor, may actually been more costly
than a 3rd party part. For instance, a Ford branded OEM shock absorber
may cost more than buying a 3rd party shock absorber.

As you stated, with computer suppliers, supplies to OEM manufacturers
are often without some hardware, may have unique firmware, may have
different mechanical specs, are often packaged in generic packaging
without instruction manuals or software. This keeps cost down, however,
when you, as an end user buy an OEM model of something, it may actually
have NO warranty, or a much shortened or reduced one. Computer
manufacturers often have contracts with companies they buy OEM packaged
goods from, that they will absorb a certain percent of defective
product, and handle all warranty claims. Since warranty is a major
liability the product can be sold much cheaper is someone else takes the
risk. So if a computer manufacturer buys a hard drive OEM, they may buy
it with only a 90 day warranty, or maybe even a 10 day warranty. they
test the drive themselves, and if it works, that may be where the
liability of the actually manufacturer of the hard drive ends. If the
drive gets installed and is sold in a computer, the end user gripes to
the computer manufacturer, not the hard drive maker. These situations
have occurred before. If average failures during the computer
manufacturer's warranty occur, they eat it, but let's say 80% of the
drives fail, then the contract may allow them to go back to the OEM
supplier and demand they cover the replacements.

In the case of ink, OEM means the ink branded by the printer
manufacturer, and usually sold at a premium price. 3rd party are either
ink formulators or distributors who sell ink under different brand
names. It may actually be the same ink you get from the printer
manufacturer, or a similar ink made by the same company, or a similar
ink made by another company, or a quite different ink made by either.

I hope that clarifies things, or makes them inkier still, as the case my
be... ;-)

Art

Old October 18th 06, 05:34 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

I obviously should have read ahead a bit before answering the same
posting you did... I posted almost the same thing, only using Ford
rather than GM... weird.

Art