Display dropped out -- ohhh myyyy gawd!

Old September 1st 17, 07:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Display dropped out -- ohhh myyyy gawd!

Returned to find the monitor displaying "no input". Rebooted and,
like an un-sync'd modem, it reestablished itself. DVI connector on it
for the past month. Prior, just VGA, which this new MB apparently
labels (under) D-Sub/DVI-D, although it has both a normal 15-pin VGA
and the later, squarer DVI-D variant that can be had w/ or w/out the
horizontal spacer, at one end, separating two sets of audio pins.

I'd bought the right designated one, DVD-D without the four pins, from
China, but they messed up and instead sent the four pins (which I
broke off with pliers, including the spacer). It's a converter for
DVI-D to 15-pin VGA at the other end.

I didn't mess much with that, (after yanking out its pins like teeth),
instead going very simple, to use a old 15-pin cable with VGA (D-Sub)
on both ends. Leaving -in- the connected HDMI, incidentally, while
switching back and forth from the BIOS. When D-Sub (VGA) is selected,
so it comes up and until Windows, just past the login and into the
desktop, when it mysteriously switches over to the HDMI port.

I pulled the HDMI cable from the monitor at that point, without
further issues running while remaining on the VGA port.

Rather, it got weird. With everything off (by way of audio producing
programs), with the computer on, I happened to hear a whine, from the
monitor -- doing its "unique thing" -- while switching initially from
BIOS selected D-Sub/DVI-D (VGA and not D-Sub/HDMI), so as to change to
HDMI, apparently in response to Windows' instigation. In part,
although somewhat remotely, so as to say why I should then switch
entirely to VGA connects (physically removing the HDMI cable,
irrespective of the BIOS video priority settings).

I really don't need to hear the electronics of a monitor "whining,"
nor, obviously, to find either the computer, or monitor, shutting
itself off, in an obvious fault error, while and if not sending than
then receiving a video signal;- I suspect the monitor for a faulty
receiving response -- a supposed rebadged Toshiba sold under Best
Buy's homebrand, Insignia.

Not that the MB is entirely free of a bit wackiness in the way of its
logic, either. I have had to restore, activate the default video boot
state: An AMD 3000-series video chip for the 15-pin VGA port, with a
paperclip over the MB's reset pins, when it locks itself up after
populating the PEG slot (PCI-E) with a another board.

In sum, three options for MB video physical connections, all together,
if not running an external board slotted on the PCI bus;- BIOS first
offers two selections, the abovementioned D-Sub prefix to HDMI and
DVI, as well as an AUTO;- and then there's an "undocumented" PEG
selection (PCI Express Graphics), not even mentioned in Gigabyte's
distribution manual accompanying the MB.

Perhaps -- should the VGA cabling never, ever again randomly shut
itself down, to display a monitor message: No Signal Present, then I
should take out an old Matrox PCI non-Express board, stuff it in for
the BIOS PEG selection. No way it could conceivably smoke, yes?
Old September 1st 17, 08:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Flasherly wrote:
[...]

Only connect one video cable from the computer to the monitor
at a time. That's to make it easier for the human operator,
to understand what is going on.

On a DVI-I to VGA adapter, the "cross plus four pins" is the VGA
section. If you remove those items, then it's no longer a
DVI-I to VGA adapter! This applies to a passive adapter.
A passive adapter may cost $2 to $10 or so.

Consult the pinout table here for details.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

An active DVI-D to VGA would be a more unusual product,
and need a power source. The +5V pin on the
connector, may not be sufficient to power such an
active conversion protocol. An active adapter could
cost up to $100. (No, I haven't priced one recently,
and the cost can only drop if they make large
quantities of them.)

There isn't a good reason for an LCD monitor power
source to "whine". I have a cheap Acer monitor here,
that goes through all the power states, with no acoustic
output at all. While a power converter could have "coil noise",
that would be unusual. The electrical load inside the LCD monitor
is known, and the designer can test for flawless power
converter behavior, over the 0.5W to 30W range of consumption
the monitor might have.

If the monitor internal PSU has "leaking capacitors",
that might cause a change in operating point or
frequency. I would only take the monitor apart, if
the cover is screw-mounted. If it's those damn plastic
tabs, I wouldn't bother. I hate messing up the plastic
on an item, trying to get it apart. a screw based cover
would be a lot easier to remove.

The noise could also be coming from an inverter that
powers a CCFL tube. If the LCD monitor uses LED backlighting,
then it won't have an inverter present (the power would
come from the main PSU block).

The inverter on a CCFL operates at 25KHz (out of audible range).
But, it is PWM modulated, when less than full screen brightness
is desired. That PWM modulation might alias down into the
audible region. (The inverter does "bursts" of 25KHz sine waves.)
The scheme works that way, to keep the plasma inside the CCFL
tube, in a conducting state. Simply dropping the voltage (the
old way of doing it), has a limited intensity range. If the
monitor has loss of sync (because the computer turned off the
signal on the video cable), then the inverter should just stop
entirely, and not make a noise.

Paul
Old September 1st 17, 07:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Fri, 01 Sep 2017 03:40:23 -0400, Paul
wrote:

Only connect one video cable from the computer to the monitor
at a time. That's to make it easier for the human operator,
to understand what is going on.

On a DVI-I to VGA adapter, the "cross plus four pins" is the VGA
section. If you remove those items, then it's no longer a
DVI-I to VGA adapter! This applies to a passive adapter.
A passive adapter may cost $2 to $10 or so.

Consult the pinout table here for details.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

An active DVI-D to VGA would be a more unusual product,
and need a power source. The +5V pin on the
connector, may not be sufficient to power such an
active conversion protocol. An active adapter could
cost up to $100. (No, I haven't priced one recently,
and the cost can only drop if they make large
quantities of them.)

In one scenario, of two cables present, within possible connections
from the three video ports on the back of the MB (excluding of course
any slotted video cards), it's actually possible to run two monitors
simultaneously. Needn't apply to me, though, as I'm only interested
in one monitor -- a monitor which coincidently allows only either a
D-Sub 15-pin VGA if not a HDMI (the monitor manufacturer's recommended
"best" port).

All the DVI-D was is a foray, (unsuccessfully attempted on my part, to
try and get all ports up and running. An Ebay item:

6FT PREMIUM HDMI CABLE For BLURAY 3D DVD HDTV XBOX LCD HD TV 1080P- US
Stock New Item price $0.99

Which is just as easily forgotten, especially, as you say, if I pulled
out video and not extraneous sound pins.

[...]

No, the monitor, normally it would not any noise. None that up until
now, I've noticed.

Nor would it mysteriously "drop" the display, to go into a reserve
black-screen state with a box to display, temporarily bouncing around
the screen, stating an error -- that there is no video signal present.
That is a first and what I walked into last evening.

The whine was incidental and between my taking direct action,
roundabout opening that Chinese package containing the ill-fated HDMI
cable abovementioned -- and an alternative resource I have for hooking
(back up), primarily, both-sided VGA-to-VGA ports that's still if
barely, around after 20 years for a standard.

Rather I should hope to say, I will not again, nor do I foresee any
need, in my case, to run more than one video cable. That the whine
should not occur again will of course also be greatly appreciated.

What bugged me last evening, threatened to raise the hairs on the back
of my neck, was, after finishing a work-out in my exercise room,
walking back in to the find music I'd selected still going, yet with
the monitor reporting the "no video source" error. Everything was
fine, including an operational video screen, when I left it for my
weight room.

Could be some sort of fluke, I suppose. Things that go bump in the
night ... like a few hours later into the evening, than all the above,
and a particularly nasty brown-out I got hit with. A 2T HDD, I've
split into two large if not equal partitions. I was using, reading
but not writing, from one of those partitions. When the boot finished
-- that computer almost never occurs a checkdisk condition, being for
the most a read-only multimedia center -- well, it did that time and
checked the disk during the boot-up. And it found and marked two
relatively small files in a FOUND.000 (not exact folder name) folder,
which Windows normally uses for a CHKDSK dirty-boot flag.

I swear, much more of this spew and I'm going to be off into a
condition of two HDDs, one a backup, and studying a quick way to
filter MD5 hash-tables between any dissimilarity found betwixt the
two. Anything else, I suppose, before I'd consider hooking up a
motorcycle battery, encased in a UPS unit, to the entertainment
centre.
Old September 1st 17, 07:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Fri, 01 Sep 2017 14:36:59 -0400, Flasherly
wrote:

checked the disk during the boot-up. And it found and marked two
relatively small files in a FOUND.000 (not exact folder name) folder,
which Windows normally uses for a CHKDSK dirty-boot flag.

Forgot to mention the CHKDSK reported error were on the *opposite*
side of the HDD, on the *other* partition -- I was NOT reading only
from at the time the brownout sucker-punched me. Dahm!
Old September 2nd 17, 12:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Fri, 01 Sep 2017 14:36:59 -0400, Flasherly
wrote:

-

The noise I heard and attributed to the monitor may be wrong. I've
laser SPDIF cabling, from a soundcard to a analog converter. Being
one of several feeds into a mixer. That converter is USB-powered and
hasn't the greatest floor for filtering out computer data-line
signals, induced as noise from the USB power line. Especially with a
DBX 118 expander/compressor, I use liberally for the driving the
expansion stage, as part of a parallel sum to a signal chain of
effects from the mixer;- there's also a fair amount of open headroom
dialed into a couple amp's volume.

It "sounded" as if coming from the monitor, (between two nearfield
140W speaker monitors, in turn between two larger 250W arrays),
that may, regardless, be a USB-derived source mistaken for a monitor
whine. Although the DHMI port entirely dropping out, so reported by
the video monitor, is an inexplicably strange first occurrence.