Testing front usb ports

Old September 17th 13, 05:41 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Spec ies

Default Testing front usb ports

Hi,

I believe that my my front usb ports may be faulty.

Is the a free software package that can tell me if the fault lies with the front ports, or the motherboard?

Thanks

Ps. The rear usb ports work well.
I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the drivers.
The motherboard is fairly new.
System is Dell Dimension E520.
OS is Vista Home Premium, 32 bit.
Old September 17th 13, 06:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rodney Pont[_5_]

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 21:41:34 -0700 (PDT), Spec ies wrote:

I believe that my my front usb ports may be faulty.

Is the a free software package that can tell me if the fault lies with the front ports, or the motherboard?

No. Have the front ports worked since you got the new motherboard? If
not check the connector is inserted correctly. It is very easy to get
it on a pin out. If it is inserted correctly then try another
motherboard plug.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont
e-mail rpont (at) gmail (dot) com

Old September 17th 13, 06:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Spec ies wrote:
Hi,

I believe that my my front usb ports may be faulty.

Is the a free software package that can tell me if the fault lies with the front ports, or the motherboard?

Thanks

Ps. The rear usb ports work well.
I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the drivers.
The motherboard is fairly new.
System is Dell Dimension E520.
OS is Vista Home Premium, 32 bit.

I haven't heard of a problem with ICH8 USB ports. There
was a significant problem with ICH5, years ago.

(E520 uses G965 chipset, ICH8 perhaps as Southbridge)

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-produ...nual_en-us.pdf

http://images.dailytech.com/nimage/1...65_diagram.png

Software cannot tell if the cabling assembly to the front
panel is bad. All the software can do, best case,
is perhaps detect corrupted packets and count them
in an event counter. And that's not going to help.
You already know something is wrong with it.

You can examine the cabling, to see if it is really
bad looking (damaged). Or, see if it is routed next
to something that generates electrical noise. USB2
cable is normally shielded on the outside, and
the cable dress near the ends, allows very little
bare wire to be showing.

Paul

testing usb ports species8350 Intel 2 October 1st 13 01:32 PM
front USB ports nospam Homebuilt PC's 8 September 3rd 06 12:29 AM
front usb ports ed jurewicz Asus Motherboards 4 September 28th 05 06:30 PM
Front USB Ports Mike T. Homebuilt PC's 21 August 6th 05 09:40 PM
Front USB Ports [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 6 September 9th 03 05:27 PM