Resizing Disk Partition

Old May 2nd 09, 11:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

Default Resizing Disk Partition

Roy wrote:
On May 2, 12:57 pm, kony wrote:
On Fri, 01 May 2009 16:20:58 -0700, Andy wrote:
On Fri, 1 May 2009 05:21:09 -0700 (PDT), Roy
wrote:
Hello guys
I am planning to modify / resize both the C and D drive from 30/70 to
40/60. There is a 5 % of the C drive space taken by the recovery
files. The HDD space is size is 100 Gig and the empty space is just
barely 4 gigs for the C drive and would like to extend that by
reducing the space of the D .
Does anybody here have experienced in resizing partition with any
partition tools like for example Easus partition master. ?
The direction given by the user’s manual is just concise with no
explanation aside from pulling the slider from either sides.
Can somebody give me more explanation how does this work?
I tested it but I can’t increase the size of the C drive by doing
such…..
TIA
1. Shrink D, freeing space to its right, or at the end of the disk.
2. Move the smaller D partition to the right, or to the end of the
disk, creating unallocated space between C and D.
3. Expand C to the right, filling up the unallocated space between C
and D.

There is no need to free space to the right of D, towards
the end of the disk.

First shrink D freeing up space to it's left, which in
operation means the partitioning program copies the data
occupied in that area further towards the end of the drive,
restructures it, and then decreases the size of the extended
partition so there is unallocated space between the primary
C partition and the beginning of the extended partition,
then finally it can increase the size of the primary
partition to include the unallocated space.

Or to put it another way, there isn't much to explain when a
program simplifies to the point of only having a slider, you
just slide it to make C bigger and D smaller and it does the
rest. The real question is when Roy tried to do it, what
went wrong? There is a piece of the puzzle we don't have
yet, did it create an error message or did it reduce the
size of D but a second procedure is required to enlarge C or
some other factor? Might it only be there was some button
he had to click to apply the changes, or the system has to
reboot to do it and the partitioning app can't recognize the
drive controller during the reboot, before windows loads a
driver, so it quits without doing anything? We need detail
about exactly what happened.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for that thoughtful explanation...That is what I am planning to
do using
the EASUS Partition master. My preliminary trial which I did but
cancelled was
when I slide the to the left the initial size free space increased
without any indication what will
be the resultling size after such move,
If I slide from the right there is a change after but not
before....this is kinda perplexing
as that particular software don't have an explanation what does the
initial and
final size or there is a corresponsing free space that can be covered
the C drive
once I did the same thing after the D drive...

The preinstalled partition for that PC was 30 gigs for the C which
includes 5 gigs for the
recovery and 70 gigs for the D drive if we consider that the 100 Gigs
does not actually
indicate the actual size as formatting will also cover considerable
space making the
resultihg size to be in the vicinity of 90 gigs only.

Now my plan is to reduce the D drive to 40-50 and correspondlingly
increase the C drive
by the same amount.
I am just worred that there might be some files or software that might
be affected if I did
such regardless if I do a back up of the drives...
I would also like to hear inputs from people that have done
this....preferably using the
Easus partition master...
I will be doing the resizing of that drive soon...

Big catch 22 with resizing:

Though most resizing utilities work without a problem...there is no
guarantee of course...so all data must be backed up first.

OTOH: If all data are backed up then there really isn't any need for
resizing software as you can destructively repartition , then restore
from backup.

Since new drives cost so little now days, when I am faced with a
situation such as yours I simply buy a larger drive...clone the old one
to the new...and keep the old drive as a backup.

Many HD mfg's even have cloning software
Old May 2nd 09, 06:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

philo wrote:
Since new drives cost so little now days, when I am faced with a
situation such as yours I simply buy a larger drive...clone the old one
to the new...and keep the old drive as a backup.

Many HD mfg's even have cloning software

That's the voice of reason. You can get a 160GB SATA2 for $60; an IDE
or SATA1 for a bit less. Give your system the full 100GB to play in,
and treat yourself to 160GB in which to put your pirated music and movies.
Old May 2nd 09, 08:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

Grinder wrote:
philo wrote:
Since new drives cost so little now days, when I am faced with a
situation such as yours I simply buy a larger drive...clone the old
one to the new...and keep the old drive as a backup.

Many HD mfg's even have cloning software

That's the voice of reason. You can get a 160GB SATA2 for $60; an IDE
or SATA1 for a bit less. Give your system the full 100GB to play in,
and treat yourself to 160GB in which to put your pirated music and movies.

Yep new drives are cheap all right.

One thing I don't do is download pirated movies...

they are so cheap to buy legally I see no reason for pirating them
Old May 2nd 09, 11:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

philo wrote:
Grinder wrote:
philo wrote:
Since new drives cost so little now days, when I am faced with a
situation such as yours I simply buy a larger drive...clone the old
one to the new...and keep the old drive as a backup.

Many HD mfg's even have cloning software

That's the voice of reason. You can get a 160GB SATA2 for $60; an IDE
or SATA1 for a bit less. Give your system the full 100GB to play in,
and treat yourself to 160GB in which to put your pirated music and
movies.

Yep new drives are cheap all right.

One thing I don't do is download pirated movies...

they are so cheap to buy legally I see no reason for pirating them

Just a little ribbing there. I used to say "pr0n" instead of "pirated
music," but that's bit too caustic.
Old May 9th 09, 09:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Roy[_5_]

wrote:
[...]

Many HD mfg's even have cloning software- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for that...
Well recently I got a new hard drive-320 G to replace the 100 Gig.
Still trying to find a way to get back the data from that old drive.
Some hardware of my PC is not working anymore such as the audio port
replicator.....