QUESTION: Looking for speed ranges for older CPUs

Old August 24th 04, 10:53 PM
Doug Whittier

Default QUESTION: Looking for speed ranges for older CPUs

Hi, all.

I'm trying to run a report indicating which of our older machines are
running Pentium IIs and which run Pentium IIIs.

The report I have is from SMS, and all I can see is the current clock
speed. I don't see any SMS metrics about CPU class.

Is there some table published somewhere, which indicates which class
of CPU I likely have, given a certain clock speed?

Thanks much!

Cheers,

Doug Whittier
Old August 25th 04, 03:14 AM
Nate Edel

In comp.sys.intel Doug Whittier wrote:
I'm trying to run a report indicating which of our older machines are
running Pentium IIs and which run Pentium IIIs.

IIRC, and assuming you don't have any Celerons, it's only the 450s where
there's overlap. Pentium IIs only went up to 450, and P-IIIs started at
450mhz.

For the 450mhz, there's no way to tell purely by megahertz rate.

There's also possible overlap between the 300/333/400mhz Celeron parts with
Pentium II chips, and 500/600+ mhz Celeron parts with the Pentium III chips.

366/433/466/533mhz (did they make a 566?) parts are only Celerons. I'm not
sure which model Celerons do/don't have SSE.

--
Nate Edel http://www.nkedel.com/

"I do have a cause though. It is obscenity. I'm for it." - Tom Lehrer
Old August 25th 04, 04:26 AM
Angry American

This is a handy little program that I use for CPU/chipset ID's, works like a
charm.

http://www.cpuid.com/

Dan

Doug Whittier wrote:
Hi, all.

I'm trying to run a report indicating which of our older machines are
running Pentium IIs and which run Pentium IIIs.

The report I have is from SMS, and all I can see is the current clock
speed. I don't see any SMS metrics about CPU class.

Is there some table published somewhere, which indicates which class
of CPU I likely have, given a certain clock speed?

Thanks much!

Cheers,

Doug Whittier

--
Proud member of
the American Taliban

Old August 26th 04, 11:25 AM
Tony Hill

On 24 Aug 2004 14:53:45 -0700, (Doug Whittier)
wrote:
I'm trying to run a report indicating which of our older machines are
running Pentium IIs and which run Pentium IIIs.

The report I have is from SMS, and all I can see is the current clock
speed. I don't see any SMS metrics about CPU class.

Is there some table published somewhere, which indicates which class
of CPU I likely have, given a certain clock speed?

Your probably better off getting some sort of CPUID util, I'm sure
there are some that can even be setup to report over the network.
Otherwise you might want to check
www.sandpile.org for some info about
all the chips that Intel (and AMD, Cyrix/IDT/VIA, Transmeta, etc.)
have sold in the past 10 years or so.

Here's a quick intro to things (ignoring mobile processors):

Pentium: 60 - 200MHz
PentiumMMX: 166 - 233MHz
PPro: 133 - 200MHz
PII: 233 - 450MHz
PIII: 450 - 1.4GHz
P4: 1.3GHz - 3.6GHz (and still going)

As you can see, there is a bit of overlap here. It's even worse when
you throw the Celeron into the mix, as various types of Celerons have
run at speeds ranging from 233MHz up to 1.4GHz and then from 1.7GHz up
to 2.8GHz with future chips to run faster still. Of course, there are
at least 4 very distinct versions of the Celeron processor that have
been sold, not to mention two fairly distinct versions of the PIII and
P4 processor.

Long story short, clock speed is only good as a rough guess as to what
processor you've got. If you really want to know, find yourself a
nice little CPUID util.

-------------
Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca
Old September 1st 04, 10:24 AM
Grumble

Tony Hill wrote:

Here's a quick intro to things (ignoring mobile processors):

Pentium: 60 - 200MHz
PentiumMMX: 166 - 233MHz
PPro: 133 - 200MHz
PII: 233 - 450MHz
PIII: 450 - 1.4GHz
P4: 1.3GHz - 3.6GHz (and still going)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How much longer? :-)
Old September 1st 04, 10:53 AM
Rupert Pigott

wrote:

I'm trying to run a report indicating which of our older machines are
running Pentium IIs and which run Pentium IIIs.

The report I have is from SMS, and all I can see is the current clock
speed. I don't see any SMS metrics about CPU class.

Is there some table published somewhere, which indicates which class
of CPU I likely have, given a certain clock speed?

Your probably better off getting some sort of CPUID util, I'm sure
there are some that can even be setup to report over the network.
Otherwise you might want to check
www.sandpile.org for some info about
all the chips that Intel (and AMD, Cyrix/IDT/VIA, Transmeta, etc.)
have sold in the past 10 years or so.

Here's a quick intro to things (ignoring mobile processors):

Pentium: 60 - 200MHz
PentiumMMX: 166 - 233MHz
PPro: 133 - 200MHz

Pretty sure I've seen some 333MHz PPros.

PII: 233 - 450MHz
PIII: 450 - 1.4GHz
P4: 1.3GHz - 3.6GHz (and still going)

Worth pointing out that the P4 core has gone through some fairly
heavy changes in order to do scale that far. By that same token
you could claim that the P6 (PPro) core has scaled from 133MHz
to 1.4GHz (and beyond if you include Centrinos).

Cheers,
Rupert

Old September 1st 04, 02:55 PM
David Wang

In comp.sys.intel Rupert Pigott wrote:
Tony Hill wrote:

Here's a quick intro to things (ignoring mobile processors):

PPro: 133 - 200MHz

Pretty sure I've seen some 333MHz PPros.

I don't think 133 MHz PPro's were ever a product. 150 MHz
was the lowest bin.

The 333 MHz PPro wasn't called a PPro IIRC. It was called
a Pentium II upgrade processor.

--
davewang202(at)yahoo(dot)com
Old September 1st 04, 10:45 PM
Bill Davidsen

wrote:

[...]

I don't think they were PPro cores, I had several systems, and still
have two in production, and the 333 part was a P-II in a PPro socket.
The cache only ran at half speed.

Old September 2nd 04, 08:18 AM
Tony Hill

Tony Hill wrote:

Here's a quick intro to things (ignoring mobile processors):

PPro: 133 - 200MHz

Pretty sure I've seen some 333MHz PPros.

I don't think 133 MHz PPro's were ever a product. 150 MHz
was the lowest bin.

They were produced but I'm not sure if they were ever sold. The first
engineering samples were 133MHz, but they might have started volume
sales at 150MHz.

The 333 MHz PPro wasn't called a PPro IIRC. It was called
a Pentium II upgrade processor.

I can't remember the exact details of that chip, it was one of their
"overdrive" processors that was basically a PII with integrated cache
(maybe even a Celeron or a PIII core? I can't remember for sure) sold
in a socket 8 form. Pretty rare, specialty-type chip.

-------------
Old September 2nd 04, 09:05 PM
Nate Edel

Tony Hill wrote:
PPro: 133 - 200MHz

Pretty sure I've seen some 333MHz PPros.

I never saw a 133mhz PPro -- I thought they just had 150/166/180/200.

The 333mhz Socket-8 Overdrive "PPro" was a Pentium-II -- remember the
486-socketed 83mhz Pentium Overdrive?

PII: 233 - 450MHz
PIII: 450 - 1.4GHz
P4: 1.3GHz - 3.6GHz (and still going)

Worth pointing out that the P4 core has gone through some fairly
heavy changes in order to do scale that far.

From a software/API perspective I'm pretty sure Northwood/Willamette are
identical, except for Hyperthreading (and that's enabled in many
Northwoods.) Prescott, now...

By that same token you could claim that the P6 (PPro) core has scaled from
133MHz to 1.4GHz (and beyond if you include Centrinos).

The introduction of MMX with the P-II and earlier Celerons (not to mention
the other performance tweaks), and the introduction of SSE2 with the P-III
and later P6 Celerons is IMO significantl.