Misco anyone?

Old August 14th 05, 07:43 AM
Odie Ferrous

Default Misco anyone?

I recall these guys started out selling consumables - I may be wrong.

However, their website is a pleasure to use and they appear to have a
good selection of everything at reasonable prices.

Has anyone actually used them recently?

Odie
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk
Old August 14th 05, 09:33 AM
Mike Redrobe

Odie Ferrous wrote:
I recall these guys started out selling consumables - I may be wrong.

However, their website is a pleasure to use and they appear to have a
good selection of everything at reasonable prices.

Has anyone actually used them recently?

Yes, they seem to be quite cheap nowadays, particularly for
drives.

Bought a few laptops and anrd drives from them recently -
no problems.

--
Mike

Old August 14th 05, 09:52 PM
Alex

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 07:43:09 +0100, Odie Ferrous
wrote:

I recall these guys started out selling consumables - I may be wrong.

However, their website is a pleasure to use and they appear to have a
good selection of everything at reasonable prices.

Has anyone actually used them recently?

Odie

Yes, their service is excellent.

Regards, Alex

Old August 15th 05, 10:38 PM
peter

On Sun, 2005-08-14 at 07:43 +0100, Odie Ferrous wrote:
I recall these guys started out selling consumables - I may be wrong.

Are you confusing them with Inmac?

However, their website is a pleasure to use and they appear to have a
good selection of everything at reasonable prices.

Has anyone actually used them recently?

Yes, they're absolutely reliable IME - if you pay for next day you'll
get it, they've never let me down when I've used their (slightly pricey)
next day delivery service. You also get timely emails at every stage of
the process, so you know your stuff's really on its way. They use Amtrak
for delivery.
The only thing I'll slag them off for is the forests of paper they waste
sending you paper catalogs in the post.

Old August 16th 05, 09:41 AM

peter wrote:
On Sun, 2005-08-14 at 07:43 +0100, Odie Ferrous wrote:
I recall these guys started out selling consumables - I may be wrong.

Are you confusing them with Inmac?

They used to be one of Inmac's competitors, there was one other
similar at the time whose name I can't remember.

However, their website is a pleasure to use and they appear to have a
good selection of everything at reasonable prices.

Has anyone actually used them recently?

Yes, they're absolutely reliable IME - if you pay for next day you'll
get it, they've never let me down when I've used their (slightly pricey)
next day delivery service. You also get timely emails at every stage of
the process, so you know your stuff's really on its way. They use Amtrak
for delivery.
The only thing I'll slag them off for is the forests of paper they waste
sending you paper catalogs in the post.

Inmac used to have a reputation for that! :-)

--
Chris Green

Old August 16th 05, 11:06 AM
Vittorio Janus

wrote:

I recall these guys started out selling consumables - I may be wrong.

However, their website is a pleasure to use and they appear to have a
good selection of everything at reasonable prices.

Has anyone actually used them recently?

Odie

Yes and I would reccomend them to you.

There were two screw-ups on my order.

#1 They sent me a Canon Printer instead of a scanner. I called them up
on the 0800 number on the web site. The phone was answered very
quickly by a very helpful lady who dealt with the problem, arranging
collection of the printer and re-delivery of the scanner. There were
no scanners in stock at their warehouse so she phoned round to their
shops and reserved the last one they had for me.

Like many such organisations, she had to cancel the first order and
issue a CC refund and start a new order for me which led to:

#2 The second order was charged twice to a different CC that doesn't
have on-line tracking. (There was a problem of some kind with the
first CC). I first saw the problem on 1st June and called them (on the
0800 number) and was told it would be dealt with. Same thing on the
1st July and 1st August. (It seemed to me that the people in the
Accounts department are not quite as customer focussed as the Customer
Services Team.) I emailed a firmly, not rudely, worded request for £50
to re-pay me for the time I had spent trying to resolve the problem
and received a £50 Misco Voucher last Tuesday.

So far as I am concerned, the really, really important thing is that
Misco's attitude to the problems was faultless. Yes, they shouldn't
have sent the wrong item. Yes, they shouldn't have double charged the
CC and yes, they should have fixed that the first time. BUT, at the
end of the day, there were real people at the end of a free phone line
that did their level best to fix the problem. The frustration caused
by the cheap box shifters who ignore you when something goes wrong
cannot be over-stated.

Regards,
vj
Old August 17th 05, 12:20 PM
Jon D

On Sun 14 Aug 2005 07:43:09, Odie Ferrous wrote:

I recall these guys started out selling consumables - I may be
wrong.

However, their website is a pleasure to use and they appear to
have a good selection of everything at reasonable prices.

Has anyone actually used them recently?

I guess you know that Simply and Misco are now the same company.
Old August 18th 05, 12:05 PM
Observer

"Odie Ferrous" wrote in message
I recall these guys started out selling consumables - I may be wrong.

However, their website is a pleasure to use and they appear to have a
good selection of everything at reasonable prices.

Has anyone actually used them recently?

Odie
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk
Globally Local Data Recovery Experts

On the strength of some of the comments here, I ordered a HP NX6110 laptop
from Misco yesterday morning at about 1000. I got some pre-sales
information (yes, from a human being!) and the goods were delivered here
(Central Scotland) by Amtrak at 1030 this morning.

Regards

Pat Macguire

Old August 18th 05, 12:40 PM
Jim Howes

peter wrote:
Are you confusing them with Inmac?

Inmac are part of MicroWarehouse.
Misco are not. However, the catalogues and website layout can sometimes
confuse people into thinking that they are.
Misco is part of Systemax Europe, and have been around for long enough
to be considered reliable enough for most purposes.

The only thing I'll slag them off for is the forests of paper they waste
sending you paper catalogs in the post.

Just like Inmac.. Now I see where the confusion comes from.