Replace ethernet cables with POF backbone on home Powerline ?

Old September 21st 20, 01:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
x13

Default Replace ethernet cables with POF backbone on home Powerline ?

John,

I was being myopic in my last post.

My idea was just to speed things up. But of course by using a POF cable I would be bypassing the electrical wiring in the walls thereby defeating the whole purpose of Powerline. I could of course run a POF cable in the walls but that's a *really* tedious job (I've done it 2 years ago with coax cabling for my TVs).

My point is this: I need a 1-on-1 hardware connection (no router overhead, albeit my Technicolor Gateway _is_ fast) and no cable through the house unless _absolutely_ necessary. In the case of POF, the cable being so small and the speed being so great, that would be an very acceptable trade-off. While it's true I could just as well use an Ethernet cable for the job, if I can get near-100% throughput, why would I settle for 70-80% ? Plus it's rather cool to (get) to use fibre as a consumer and not in Datacentre.

So I may well get a POF kit (like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO4YW4xMzYE). No POF switch necessary, just 2 very short Ethernet cables and 2 POF-UTP media converters (included in the kit). By using white or beige the POF cable it would be vitually unnnoticeable.

Thanks for your input all the same.
x13

-= Get GrabIt for free from https://www.shemes.com/ =-

Old September 21st 20, 07:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

x13 wrote:
[...]

If you want to continue using its services, like the switch
that services the Ethernet ports, then you can't run faster
than the spigot that comes off that box.

Even if some fiber link was hella fast, the rest of
the plumbing has to be up to it, for it to be worth it.

*******

To give an example of pain, Bell offers fiber-to-the-home at
1.5Gbit/sec. They have a 1.0Gbit/sec service, which would
be a perfect match for GbE equipment at the customer location.
When a 1.5Gbit/sec signal comes into the home, what happens ?

Well, you might do two downloads at the same time, a 1Gbit/sec
download and a 0.5Gbit/sec download.

But some people wanted the entire 1.5Gbit capability (presumably
so they could take a picture of Speedtest.net on their
computer screen for bragging purposes).

They make an EO module that can pick up the Bell signal from
the demarc and put it in a higher speed router. And get at
the signal that way. But not too many people have successfully
set that up. So that would be an example of Bell offering
a service, with the seeming purpose of putting fanbois through
mental anguish :-) If the networking box had 2.5Gbit/sec Ethernet
on the back of it, four ports, then all that anguish would be gone.
Instead, they leave it as a "detail" for customers to be acquiring
obscure EO modules and doing stuff to try to get it to tie in.
A rental modem/router should have been provided with the
right stuff on the back of it.

*******

My walls here, have fire breaks between uprights. There's a 2x4 that
prevents easy exfiltration of a cable from the room (like down into
the basement, then along the ceiling tiles in the basement). Whether I
was routing dental fiber or routing Ethernet cable, it would all
be "the same" in terms of the physical barriers to be crossed. I'd
have to drill through the fire break. Opening the wall, just to run
one cable, would be nutz.

I do have a cable that runs to the basement. I drilled a hole in the
closet floor to pass the wire. It still wasn't easy to deal with on
the basement side (hard to grab cable with a big return air duct
in the way). So rather than that cable being "in a wall",
it goes right through the floor, ghetto style. I can see a
cacaphony of holes in the closet floor, limited bend radius fibers
and Ethernet cables now... Sounds like fun.

Paul