new gaming rig

Old November 18th 08, 04:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Morvak

Default new gaming rig

On Nov 18, 3:12*am, sillyputty wrote:
I'm in the market for a new gaming rig, my budget: around $2k. What do
you think of this system? Would the low-end i7 (920) out perform a
previous edition high end quad-core (ex. Q9650)? Btw, I called
tigerdirect and was told the mobo is SFX, HD is WD and RAM is OCZ.
Thx.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...m-details.asp?...

You don't NEED Quad Core. The only people that NEED that are
professional movie editors and CG artists. You are overpaying for
something to play 1 game, where the E8400 2.0ghz chip will play just
as fine.

Second, what size monitor are you playing on ? If you are playing on a
24" or greater 19x12 res, then yeah you'll need latest gfx cards and
possibly SLI.

But if you are playing on a monitor less than 19x12 res, say, 16x12
and 22", then just grab the $200 nvidia card, the 9800 whatever
(forget offhand).

Finally, build your own system. I did it for the first time last year.
PIECE OF CAKE! You may pay the same or more as a pre-built system, but
you know what parts you put in, and usually each is high quality.
Nothing beats the experience either especially when it comes time to
upgrade individual parts.

No need for soundcard either, really. UNLESS you play in a 5.1
surround sound environment.

IMO.
Old November 18th 08, 11:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Rich Billionaire

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 17:00:32 -0500, "Dave" wrote:

Well most people aren't going to spend two grand on a system (pre-built or
homebuilt) when good systems start at less than a grand.

I'm going to spend at least 2 grand on my next system. I have an
online business. if I need or want more money, I just work on
increasing my sales and it happens. I don't like to limit myself in
any way. Having passive income is just like having your own money
tree. Other people do the daily grunt work while you stay home, sleep
late, play videogames, and collect your profits. It beats the hell out
of working in a regular job.
Old November 19th 08, 04:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Lou

"Rich Billionaire" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 17:00:32 -0500, "Dave" wrote:

Well most people aren't going to spend two grand on a system (pre-built or
homebuilt) when good systems start at less than a grand.

I'm going to spend at least 2 grand on my next system. I have an
online business. if I need or want more money, I just work on
increasing my sales and it happens. I don't like to limit myself in
any way. Having passive income is just like having your own money
tree. Other people do the daily grunt work while you stay home, sleep
late, play videogames, and collect your profits. It beats the hell out
of working in a regular job.

Here is a "How to" guide for building a game PC. It may not list the latest
stuff, but there are helpful tips and info.

http://www.mysuperpc.com/computer_game.shtml

Old November 20th 08, 05:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Anssi Saari

"CJM" writes:

But there is a difference in quality of sound, which is great for
atmosphere in games but also makes a difference to gameplay (if you
can clearly hear footsteps coming from behind etc).

I've used mostly onboard sound for years. I've never noticed any
difference in quality as I only use digital outputs, toslink to
amplifier. And yes, I get satisfaction from the fact that once
expensive sound cards have been reduced to just another serial
interface...

As I understand it, reasonable quality for analog sound output is
fairly hard with a PC as it's a rather noisy environment and is
unlikely to exist in any kind of on board solution.