removing Ontrack's HD overlay

Old August 14th 03, 07:03 PM
Folkert Rienstra

Default removing Ontrack's HD overlay

"shAf" wrote in message ...
I installed a 80Gb HD on a Win98SE computer, and needed to use Ontrack's
"Disk Manager 2000" for installing an overlay and accessing to the entire
drive. Now, I want to remove this drive (data has been backed up) and
install it on a new computer (Windows 2000, SP4).

One problem I have is with the Ontrack DM2000 version (3.11.14 as reported
by right-clikking the title bar, 'about DM'), which does not seem to match
versions released this spring (or spoken of in recent NG threads) ...

So what?

so I am not sure if creating a boot disk will accomplish what I want. I only
need the drive re-instated to its original condition (overlay removed?), so
I figured I'd create a boot disk, and run it with this 80Gb drive being the
only drive present on the older computer ... I am not sure what to expect
however.

Perhaps because you don't know what you want, what's necessary and what not?

Expecting something entirely different, the drive is currently installed on
the new computer, and Win2k does not recognize its actual size.

Sounds like Win2k did not use the overlay. Or in other words, it's not the
overlay. The overlay install probably works with setting the drive to 32GB by
the 'Set Max' command or having the drive set permanently to 32GB by jum-
per and then setting the drive to full capacity (volatile) when the overlay runs.
When it doesn't, or when reset, the drive shows it's short stroked capacity.

What size is W2k seeing?

I thought I'd be able to use 'FDISK', but it's not available on the computer.
I'd really like to avoid re-installing this drive on the older computer ... so,
my question is ... is there any Windows 2000 command available to me (e.g.,
a "format" commandline switch) which will do what I want (... I forgot to
mention the new computer is for entertainment, and does not have a floppy).

Check the jumper. There is also IBM/HGST's Feature Tool and Svend Olaf's
FindPart that can check and set 'Set Max' but they both require DOS, AFAIK.

tia & cheerios ... shAf )
Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
www.micro-investigations.com

Old August 15th 03, 02:23 PM
shAf

Folkert writes ...

Sounds like Win2k did not use the overlay. Or in other words, it's not the
overlay. The overlay install probably works with setting the drive to 32GB

by
the 'Set Max' command or having the drive set permanently to 32GB by jum-
per and then setting the drive to full capacity (volatile) when the

overlay runs.
When it doesn't, or when reset, the drive shows it's short stroked

capacity.

The jumper is set to 'normal' operation (16head, master) ... it is not set
to clip the size to 32Gb. I don't know what commandset you're referring to,
"Set Max" ... is in the DM software, or belong to the mobo's BIOS, or
Windows 2000???

What size is W2k seeing?

After believing the DM boot removed the overlay ... and not remembering
exactly ... the ASUS P4PE bios is recognizing '32Gb', but it seems to me
Win2k indicates 31500Mb ... which is probably the same thing.
--
thanx for your reply & cheerios ... shAf )

Old August 15th 03, 08:27 PM
shAf

shAf writes .."

... so I thought I'd leave you
with yesterday's tribulations ...

.... and to leave this thread with what did work, I can let you know my new
computer recognizes the full size after setting its capacity with "feature
tool" available from Hitachi's support download site. I was not able to
properly delete the Ontrack overlay with DM ... the overlay may have been
deleted, but no computer could recognize its acual size. This ability to
set the size should be part of DM.

cheerios ... shAf )