Again: Weird behaviour of old Dell laptop. Any hint? (with new info)

Old January 3rd 04, 09:59 PM
Paolo Casaschi

Default Again: Weird behaviour of old Dell laptop. Any hint? (with new info)

Thanks to the people that helped me few weeks ago.

Here I am back with more data coming from the blue screen of
death that now shows up when my laptop is crashing.

Summary of the problem
======================

Got an old Dell Laptop (Latitude CPx) with WinXP.

Every few hours is crashing and rebooting.
At rebooting the selftest finds some memory errors and tells me the amount
of available RAM is reduced. I have 256 MB RAM in two 128 MB chip.
This happens regularly.
I thought about a faulty memory chip, so I tried running with only one
memory chip of 128 MB. The weird thing is that with one chip installed
only the laptop never crashes, with one or the other chip, so it's not
a broken memory chip issue.

Tried running Dell Diagnostics, but no fault is ever reported.

Additional info
===============

The blue screen of death that shows at the crash contains some generic bla
bla
but no reference to any driver, dll or anything specific.
Only cryptic info is the following row:

"STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x805B6EE1, 0xF5E89C00, 0x00000000)"

Also, after rebooting, winxp tells me with a popup window that the system
recovered from a serious error, with following data labeled as Error
Signatu

BCCode : 1000008e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : 805B6EE1 BCP3 :
F5E89C00
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 1_0 Product : 256_1

Hints?
======

Anyone with a clue what those error codes means and what should be done ???

Feedback here or to appreciated (before I move to
painful
measures such as trying reinstalling the OS

TIA,

--Paolo

Old January 3rd 04, 11:16 PM
Tom Scales

I believe the last answer last time was that the memory slot on the
motherboard could be bad.

I suspect that's right.

Tpom
"Paolo Casaschi" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

???

Old January 3rd 04, 11:20 PM
Paolo Casaschi

I believe the last answer last time was that the memory slot on the
motherboard could be bad.

Why then the Dell Diagnostic tool did not find any error ?
I run that few times...

I did post again because now I collected some error info
and I wondered if anyone understands what those meant...

I suspect that's right.

Maybe, maybe not...

--Paolo

Old January 3rd 04, 11:39 PM
Markeau

It actually could be a memory problem that only occurs with those two
chips together ... weirder things have happened.

Old January 4th 04, 02:52 AM
Ogden Johnson III

"Paolo Casaschi" wrote:

I believe the last answer last time was that the memory slot on the
motherboard could be bad.

Why then the Dell Diagnostic tool did not find any error ?
I run that few times...

I did post again because now I collected some error info
and I wondered if anyone understands what those meant...

Nobody but Microsoft or Intel would have any idea what those meant.
Have you tried contacting either of them?
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo addy is burned before reading.
Old January 5th 04, 04:56 PM
Christopher Muto

testing memory is difficult. you could try installing both modules and then
set up diagnostics to continuously test memory only and stop on error. let
it run overnight or as long as it takes... the error code will report which
memory bank and what offset the error occurs. i wonder if the chips are
just not identical and periodically have issues working together.... i find
that some laptops are particular about the memory they work properly with...
for instance, i recently had a i4000 that will not consistently power on
when on battery and with a particular memory module installed. but it had no
problem when on ac or once booted... swapped the memory and it worked as
expected.. weird eh? so, where did your modules come from and are they
identical?

Old January 5th 04, 06:52 PM
Paolo Casaschi

[...]

Already tried swapping and did not help.
The 2 model seem identical and did work fine for more than two year, before
the issue appeared.

--Paolo

Old January 5th 04, 07:03 PM
PC-Gladiator

Probably the most used memory tester:

http://www.memtest86.com/

:

Old January 8th 04, 11:39 PM
Paolo Casaschi

Probably the most used memory tester:

http://www.memtest86.com/

Thanks for the hint.

(tried and memtest86 does not find any issue the memory of my laptop)

--Paolo