Need HELP - Can Not Get QR discs to Work

Old May 1st 04, 08:19 AM
Steve

Default Need HELP - Can Not Get QR discs to Work

A week or so ago my Presario Model 7478's hard drive began to fail. I had
gotten a message that the disc detected that failure was imminent, and I
bought a new hard drive. The new drive is a Seagate 80gb drive, whereas the
factory installed drive was a 30gb Maxtor.

I had checked on this group and was told that the Quick Restore CDs that
came with the computer could be used to set everything back up. That does
not seem to be true. The QR discs give me an error as the look for Drive "N"
and the set up aborts. From what I can see the Autoexec file on the CD sets
a path of "N:\CPQS\QR". It then tries to read files out of that directory,
but since the new drive has none of that on it - I am stuck.

I put the old drive back in and made the new drive the second disc drive.
That is the only way I could ask for help here. I called Compaq Support and
after a series of misunderstandings was told that I needed to purchase the
hard drive from Compaq and they would send the QR discs made for the larger
drive. I don't have Windows 98 on a separate CD and sure don't have the
other software on the QR discs.

My first problem was that the QR would not load and format the drive, like I
hoped it would, so I used FDISK and FORMAT to do that.

I am thinking that MAYBE the QR discs are looking for the same size of C and
D drives (24.5 GB C drive and a 3.36 GB drive D), the QR discs will work. I
could put the rest of the new drive into a drive E. But that is only my
theory and so far I have not been right too often about this. LOL

I would appreciate any help with getting the QR discs to work on a new drive
that is larger than the factory installed drive.

Thanks!

Steve

Old May 1st 04, 12:11 PM
Ingeborg

"Steve" wrote in
:

[...]

I understand that your old disk still boots? So you've not lost anything
important, yet.

You could use knoppix to copy the contents from your old harddisk to the
new one. Knoppix can be downloaded from http://www.knoppix.com. It's a
bootable CD which boot a linux distribution which runs totally from CD.
It doesn't store anything to harddisk, assuming you have enough memory,
else it has to create a swapfile on your harddisk.

It a huge download, and you'll need a burner, but it is often found as a
cover CD at a computer magazine. Try your local magazine store.

You can partition and format your new drive with a bootdisk you can
download at http://www.bootdisk.com, assuming you have a floppydrive.
If you haven't, knoppix can do it too. Try fsdisk and mkfs --help from a
console/terminal.

Isaac

Old May 1st 04, 03:31 PM
Steve

Thanks for the info, I sure did not know about Knoppix! I got the new drive
formatted (well as far as I went - I partitioned it but only took time to
format the C: Drive, when I tried the QR disks again.

I am wondering about the impact of copying data over to the new drive -
since I know that some programs have been corrupted - won't I be copying bad
data over?

I will download that program and try to burn it onto a CD. But do you know
if QR would work if I made the C: drive the same size as before? I guess I
am wondering what QR checks to see if it is OK to load - what if I recreate
the existing C and D drives on the new drive and put the rest of the space
into a new logical drive?

Again, all help is appreciated!

Steve
"Ingeborg" - wrote in message
.nl...
"Steve" wrote in
:

Old May 1st 04, 05:13 PM
dadiOH

Steve wrote:

I had checked on this group and was told that the Quick Restore CDs
that came with the computer could be used to set everything back
up. That does not seem to be true. The QR discs give me an error as
the look for Drive "N" and the set up aborts. From what I can see
the Autoexec file on the CD sets a path of "N:\CPQS\QR". It then
tries to read files out of that directory, but since the new drive
has none of that on it - I am stuck.=20

I would guess that it is making a RAM drive and copying the stuff to it =
as Windows does. How full is your C: drive?
_______________________

I put the old drive back in and made the new drive the second disc
drive. That is the only way I could ask for help here. I called
Compaq Support and after a series of misunderstandings was told
that I needed to purchase the hard drive from Compaq and they would
send the QR discs made for the larger drive.=20

They lie between their teeth.
______________________
=20
I am thinking that MAYBE the QR discs are looking for the same size
of C and D drives (24.5 GB C drive and a 3.36 GB drive D), the QR
discs will work. I could put the rest of the new drive into a drive
E. But that is only my theory and so far I have not been right too
often about this. LOL=20

My father in law has a Compaq (may their tribe decrease - both FIL and =
Compaq) and he went from a 10 MB HD to a 40 MB no problem. =20

Perhaps I shouldn't say "no problem" because I fiddled with it and quit =
in frustration. The frustration was the D:/ drive that it wants and I =
got tired messing with something that should have been straight forward =
but wasn't thanks to Compaq. He had the store where he bought it =
install it.

Can you...
1. Make your new drive your #2
2. Fdisk & format it being sure to make it bootable
3. Copy C: to it. Doesn't need "cloning", just plain old copy.
4. Make new disk primary (C
5. Use the QR disc on it

The kicker is the D: drive that Compaq insists on having. I would =
assume you have to make a partition on the new drive equivalent to it =
and copy D: to that partition (as well as C: to the new primary =
partition). It is also possible that D: *does* need to be cloned rather =
than copied but I kinda doubt it. =20

--=20
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

Old May 1st 04, 05:32 PM
Isaac

"Steve" wrote in
:

Thanks for the info, I sure did not know about Knoppix! I got the new
drive formatted (well as far as I went - I partitioned it but only
took time to format the C: Drive, when I tried the QR disks again.

I am wondering about the impact of copying data over to the new drive
- since I know that some programs have been corrupted - won't I be
copying bad data over?

Yes you will. This will only copy the data from old disk to new. It's up
to you to decide if you can live with it. But you don't need the QR disk.

I will download that program and try to burn it onto a CD. But do you
know if QR would work if I made the C: drive the same size as before?

No, I don't know. It is possible that it's impossible to create a partition
with exact the same size. A partition always contains a whole number of
cylinders. The cylindersize is #sectors*#heads*512. This is probable
different on your old disk.

I guess I am wondering what QR checks to see if it is OK to load -

You wrote that it needed a file in N:\. Is it possible that it needs a
networkdrive? Can you post the contents of config.sys and autoexec.bat from
the QR cd?

Isaac

Old May 1st 04, 06:00 PM
here_and_there

On Sat, 01 May 2004 13:11:48 +0200, Ingeborg - wrote:

"Steve" wrote in
t:

[...]

Or try xxcopy from www.xxcopy.com to copy all files. Much smaller
download and has worked for many on this board. The problem with the
CD's is unlikely to be disk size. It is more likely looking for
certain files installed (& hidden) by Compaq.
Old May 1st 04, 06:01 PM
here_and_there

On Sat, 1 May 2004 12:13:42 -0400, "dadiOH" wrote:

Steve wrote:

[...]

That D: drive may be where Compaq stores certain files specific for
their PC's
Old May 2nd 04, 01:14 AM
William Hung

are you using the restore cd set, or the recovery cd,the recovery cd needs
the files on the D partition.Also, make sure you haven't any usb devices
attached, you can add those after the restore.

.. .

Old May 2nd 04, 10:28 AM
David

The Quick Restore shouldn't have a problem with your new HD. Remove the old
drive and be sure the new HD is jumpered for cable select and you use the
connector on the end of the IDE ribbon cable. You're booting the computer
with the QR CD right? You don't need to prep the new drive at all. The QR
will wipe out anything that's on it.

.. .

Old May 2nd 04, 04:05 PM
terry_b17

you could try maxblast avalable from maxtor or disc wizard from
seagate . either should allow you to copy your old drive to the new .
does your bios support 80 gb drives ? mine did not had to use the
disk drive overlay to enable my system to recognize it . you will
probably need to partition and format with disc wizard because 98
won't recognize the full 80 gig . after prepping your disc with disc
wizard you should be able to copy your old drive to it .
hope this helps,
terry