Inexpensive graphics card for servers and cluster nodes

Old March 29th 04, 08:05 PM
Oliver Mueller

Default Inexpensive graphics card for servers and cluster nodes

Hi!

I am searching for a real inexpensive graphics card for servers and cluster
nodes. A very low featured one would fit.

I will use this card in servers under Windows 2000/2003, Linux, FreeBSD and
OpenBSD. The card hasn't to be powerful because it will be used in emergency
only.

For the Unix like systems a pure text card would be appropriate, but I don't
think that those cards still out there. ;-)) For systems under Linux and BSD
the card would only be used for BIOS setup and for error diagnosis otherwise
a serial terminal or console server is connected.

The lowest price for a graphics card which I have found until now is about $
30,00 and this card is still oversized for my purpose.

Does anyone know a manufacturer who sells a low-featured card for a real
inexpensive price?

Many thanks in advance for any hint. :-)

Regards,
Oliver

Old March 29th 04, 08:38 PM
Nick

"Oliver Mueller" wrote in message
Hi!

I am searching for a real inexpensive graphics card for servers and

cluster
nodes. A very low featured one would fit.

After one search on NewEgg.com found 5 under $30 from 8mb for $14, to 32mb
for $28.75.

Look he

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...roperty&DEPA=0

Nick
--
"I have a large seashell collection which I keep scattered all over the
beaches of the world... maybe you've seen it?" Steven Wright

Old March 29th 04, 10:45 PM
Rod Speed

Oliver Mueller wrote in message

I am searching for a real inexpensive graphics card for servers
and cluster nodes. A very low featured one would fit.

I basically use S3 chipset cards like the Trio 64 etc for that.

Plenty around second hand on places like ebay.

Only real problem is that the XP install doesnt like
them but thats only for the install, the install freezes
randomly in the low 30 mins to go time. Its happy to
use something else for the install and have the S3
card put into the system after the install tho.

Havent tried them much with Linux etc tho.