p4p800 deluxe losing sata drives

Old June 16th 04, 11:13 PM
ezman

Default p4p800 deluxe losing sata drives

Hi, i've got a p4p800 deluxe with 2 sata hd's (1 seagate barracuda 120gb and
1 wd raptor). Every so often on boot the bios fails to find the hd's (they
are the only hd's, no ide's in there). They are not setup for RAID, simple
JBOD. When the bios can't find the drives the wd raptor makes a ticking
noise every second or so. It's all very strange, can't understand it at all.
Has anyone got any ideas what this could be.

Thanks, Ezman

Old June 16th 04, 11:34 PM
ezman

"D" wrote in message news:kG4Ac.249$Y75.170@newsfe6-win...
Download hd manu disk checking utility, for both drives and test

Both drives are now tested and report no errors, any more ideas?
thanks, ezman

Old June 17th 04, 01:38 AM
doh.CeSpamHuh

"ezman" wrote in message
newsN4Ac.790$A74.605@newsfe1-win...

"D" wrote in message

Download hd manu disk checking utility, for both drives and test

Both drives are now tested and report no errors, any more ideas?
thanks, ezman

Check mobo lithium cell (3V minimum) - if not that, it's probably
a mobo hardware fault (I assume you have the latest BIOS?)
Possibly bad power connectors/cables to the SATA drives?
PSU gone bad? Whatever it is, it's common to both drives.
HTH
--
Rob

Old June 17th 04, 08:35 PM
ezman

Check mobo lithium cell (3V minimum) - if not that, it's probably
a mobo hardware fault (I assume you have the latest BIOS?)
Possibly bad power connectors/cables to the SATA drives?
PSU gone bad? Whatever it is, it's common to both drives.
HTH
--
Rob

Thanks will look into those ideas. Any ideas why this could be happening
intermittently then (like once or twice every 20 boots)

Old June 17th 04, 11:35 PM
Paul

In article AgnAc.32$D4.9@newsfe6-win, "ezman" wrote:

Check mobo lithium cell (3V minimum) - if not that, it's probably
a mobo hardware fault (I assume you have the latest BIOS?)
Possibly bad power connectors/cables to the SATA drives?
PSU gone bad? Whatever it is, it's common to both drives.
HTH
--
Rob

Thanks will look into those ideas. Any ideas why this could be happening
intermittently then (like once or twice every 20 boots)

Try "Quick Boot" [Disable] and "Full Logo" [Disabled].
Perhaps this will allow extra time to elapse, between the
disks spinning up, and the BIOS attempting to access the
disks. With Full Logo disabled, you should be able to see
when the various phases of the BIOS testing are complete.
With Quick Boot disabled, the memory may be tested multiple
times, before the POST continues.

While there is an "IDE Detect Time Out (sec)" field and a
default value of 35 seconds, I don't think this timeout
applies to devices on a separate RAID chip. The RAID BIOS
may have its own, non-programmable delay timer in its code.
That is why I am suggesting the "Quick Boot" [Disabled], as
this compensates for an inability to program the RAID chip
timer.

HTH,
Paul
Old June 19th 04, 12:08 PM
ezman

Try "Quick Boot" [Disable] and "Full Logo" [Disabled].
Perhaps this will allow extra time to elapse, between the
disks spinning up, and the BIOS attempting to access the
disks. With Full Logo disabled, you should be able to see
when the various phases of the BIOS testing are complete.
With Quick Boot disabled, the memory may be tested multiple
times, before the POST continues.

While there is an "IDE Detect Time Out (sec)" field and a
default value of 35 seconds, I don't think this timeout
applies to devices on a separate RAID chip. The RAID BIOS
may have its own, non-programmable delay timer in its code.
That is why I am suggesting the "Quick Boot" [Disabled], as
this compensates for an inability to program the RAID chip
timer.

HTH,
Paul

Thanks Paul, have done that, will see what happens.