Asus tech support - non-useful reply!

Old July 4th 03, 04:45 PM
Matt Larkin

Default Asus tech support - non-useful reply!

Now, I know that in principle the points made in this note and the
questions it is asking are not completely daft, but come on Asus, this
isn't particularly customer friendly! They have responded with a set
of questions that don't in any way address the issue that I have, and
tell me that if *they* don't do anything for more than 5 days then
they will close the case!!!

I've posted it here as there is some useful stuff, but I thought you
might appreciate the length of it more than anything else!!!!

Matt
(having problems with DV-in and Firewire on an A7N8X dlx)

quotes from asus e-mail
The following problem has been updated. This status indicates the ASUS
Customer Support Engineer assigned to your case
has requested more information from you and is awaiting your response.
No
Solution has been determined at this time. If this case remain idle
for
more than 5 working days it will be automatically closed
You can view the problem at:
http://Helpdesk.asus.com/user/view.asp?id=98218

* When you Submit a New Case to HelpDesk, we do need the whole system
information, before we could find out what cause your computer
problem.
Could you provide us with the exact system configuration? For Example:
"
CPU, Memory, HardDisk, CD-ROM,VideoCard, PowerSupply, and Operating
System, ETC......

PROBLEM DETAILS
---------------
Case#: 98218
User Name: larkim
Date: 7/4/2003 3:55:00 AM
Model#: A7N8X deluxe - firewire - Panasonic camcorder

-----------
Cannot write to DV tape from the onboard firewire ports of my A7N8X
deluxe. I can write properly when I install a dedicated firewire
card, so
I am certain that the problem relates to the motherboard and it's
firewire
ports. The problem is the same on both the XP boot and a Win ME dual
boot. Other users on the internet have experienced the same problem
with
no resolution (see link:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...3DN%26tab%3Dwg)
System summary:-
Athlon XP 2100
512mb PC2100 ram
Maxtor 80gb HDD
Win XP / Win ME dual boot (problem exists on both)
Panasonic NV-DS8B camcorder

More Information:
-----------
[7/4/2003 6:21:00 AM - lee]

Included are some troubleshooting tips. If you continue to have this
problem after going through this list, please fill out the
configuration
form at the bottom of this e-mail and reply back to us, or update your
case online at http://helpdesk.asus.com. You can also call us at
502-995-0883, between 5:30AM and 5PM PST, Monday through Friday.
Please
use your case number when contacting us.

If the problem you are reporting is a stability issue, these are
usually
caused by the memory or the power supply, or if the CPU running too
hot.

First, please check that your CPU is not overheating. You can check
this
in the BIOS Setup, under Power, then Hardware Monitor. If the CPU is
overheating, please check that your heat sink and fan are properly
installed and that you are using exactly one heat transfer agent
between
the CPU and heat sink (ex. Arctic Silver). Make sure that the heat
sink
compound is applied ONLY to the CPU die and that it is NOT shorting
any
surface mount components on top of the CPU, or contacting the CPU's
pins.

You can try some testing software like memtest86 to test your system's
memory.

http://www.memtest86.com.

When run, this program will create a bootable floppy. Boot from this
disk
and let it complete at least 2 passes (7 sub-tests each pass) of the
test.
If this test generates errors, and you need help interpreting those
results, please reply to this e-mail with the number of errors, how
many
passes, how long the test ran, and the configuration of your system.
If
this test has generated errors try running the test again with a
different
stick of memory, in case you have a defective module.

If you are still having stability and memory issues, please ask the
memory
manufacturer the following questions:
Have you done any certification testing with this memory module and
our MB
(motherboard), or any MB using the same chipset at the density you are
trying to use (ex. 3*512MB DIMMS totaling 1.5GB of memory)?

If the answer is "no" and they just build to a certain
specification/standard, ask them who's specification/standard they use
and
how do they validate their design? If they just build the memory and
do
not validate it, how do they know it will perform?

When we design our MB we follow the chipset makers spec. with regards
memory.
We do validate the memory IC maker's reference designs with our MB to
make
sure they are up to spec. and to see if we need to add support for
Higher
density IC.

Most memory module makers do not follow the IC maker's reference
designs
so they may use any IC's on their memory module. There is nothing
wrong
with this, but if they deviate from the IC makers reference designs
(or
even if they use the IC makers reference) they should do some level of
validation to insure quality.

Here is a list of memory manufacturers that use our motherboards, as
well
as others, to do this type of testing, and also will post a guarantee
that
their memory will work in our motherboards, as well as others. Please
check the following websites for compatibility:

www.corsairmicro.com
www.unigen.com
www.smartm.com
www.mushkin.com

Also, here are some setup tips that may help you to set up the system.
Please start by clearing the system CMOS memory following the
procedure in
your manual. Make sure the power AND the battery on the motherboard
is
removed before shorting the CLR RTC solder points or jumper pins.

You may need to refer to the "Interrupt Request Table" in your manual
and
arrange your PCI add-in cards so that they do not cause interrupt
conflicts. Some devices just do not get along with each other. You
may
also try removing your PCI cards to see if this corrects the problem.
If
it does, add the cards back one by one to see which card is causing
the
problem. Anytime you add, move, or remove a PCI card, please enter
BIOS
setup and set the option "Reset Configuration Data" to "Yes" if your
BIOS
has this option. This will force the BIOS to reassign resources to
your
Plug And Play devices.

Next, enter BIOS Setup and load setup defaults.
Under Boot, if needed, please set the Boot Order. Then set "Reset
Configuration Data" To "Yes". If there are any other changes you need
make for your specific system configuration, please do so at this
time.

Next, "Exit Saving Changes" and this should correct the issue.

Windows 9X and ME have some issues with CPU speeds greater than 2.1
GHz
(see 312108 in the Microsoft Knowledge Base), or more than 512 MB
total
system memory (see 253912 in the MS Knowledge Base). These operating
systems cannot cache the memory properly. If your CPU is faster than
2.1
GHz, you will need to contact Microsoft Product Support Services to
obtain
a patch that will correct this issue.

Here are some links for common memory and stability related problems:

Err Msg: "Out of Memory" Error Messages with Large Amounts of RAM
Installed
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q253912

Err Msg: Windows Protection Error in NDIS with a CPU That Is Faster
Than
2.1 GHz
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q312108

Err Msg: While Initializing Device NTKERN: Windows Protection...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q192397

Err Msg: Insufficient Memory to Initialize Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q184447

Computer May Reboot Continuously with More Than 1.5 GB of RAM
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q304943

Computer Speed and Performance May Decrease
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q259161

Err Msg: Not Enough Extended Memory Available to Run Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q311367

Troubleshooting Stop 0x24 or NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM Error Messages
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q228888

Make sure you have a FRESH install of your OS on THIS motherboard and
that
the drive was partitioned and formatted on this motherboard. Make
sure
that you install the most recent drivers in the following order:

1) Chipset/Motherboard drivers (Example, VIA 4 in 1's for VIA
chipsets,
Intel INF and Application Accelerator for Intel chipsets, Etc.). Do
this
BEFORE loading any other driver!
2) Latest version of Direct X.
3) Latest Video Card drivers.
4) SCSI/ATA drivers
5) LAN/NIC drivers
6) Modem drivers, then any other device drivers
7) Finally, install sound card drivers last.

Also, please check to make sure your power supply can supply enough
power
to your system.
If the CPU is below 700 MHz, the power supply we suggest as follows:
300 Watts with +5 Volt @ 25 amps, +12 Volt @ 10 amps, and +3.3 Volt @
14
amps.
If the CPU speed is above 700MHz, the power supply we suggest as
follows:
350 Watt with +5V @ 30 amps, +12V @ 12 amps, and +3.3V @ 22 amps.
If the CPU speed is above 2000MHz, the power supply we suggest as
follows:
350 Watt with +5V @ 30 amps, +12V @ 15 amps, and +3.3V @ 22 amps.
For Dual Intel MB, Min. P.S. should be:
350 Watt with +5V @ 35 amps, +12V @ 15 amps, and +3.3V @ 22 amps.
For Dual AMD MB, Min. P.S. should be:
400 Watt with +5V @ 38 amps, +12V @ 15 amps, and +3.3V @ 20 amps.

Please note that these are only suggestions and the actual size of the
power supply may need to be larger than we suggest. Also, depending
on
the configuration of your system, you may need more power than listed
above. For example, running multiple hard drives, CR-Rom drives or
other
accessories may increase the power requirements of your system.

************************************************** ************************

If the above suggestions are unsuccessful, please fill out the form
below
and reply to this e-mail or contact Technical Support at 502-995-0883.

************************************************** ************************

Could you please provide us with your EXACT system configuration?

1) Motherboard?

What PCB revision and what BIOS revision?

Is it in JMP mode or JMP FREE?

Any other JMP settings moved from their default positions? If so,
which ones?

Any onboard devices disabled? If so, which ones?

2) Type of CPU?

What type of heat sink and fan?

What is your CPU temperature? As reported from PC Probe?
As reported from BIOS Hardware Monitor?

What is your CPU's Front Side Bus speed?

If your CPU is an Athlon XP CPU, we will need to know if it is a
Palomino (0.18 micron) or a Thoroughbred (0.13 micron). The OPN
number
(found on a sticker or the die on top the CPU) will start with an
"AXD" on
the Thoroughbred, or just start with an "AX" if it is a Palomino.

If your CPU is a Pentium 4, is it a Williamette (0.18 micron) or a
NorthWood (0.13 micron)?
If your CPU is a Pentium 3, is it a Katmai core, a Coppermine
core, or a Tualatin core?

___________________________

3) Make, model and wattage of the power supply?

How many amps are available on the +5 volts?
+12 volts?
+3.3 volts?
+5 volts (VSB)?

4) Brand, type, and speed of memory?

How many modules and what are the densities (in MegaBytes) of
each?

How many chips are on each side? Are they double sided or single
sided modules?

5) What expansion cards are in the system? If anything is attached
to a
card (ire., SCSI HD), please note below the card.

AGP =
PCI1=
PCI2=
PCI3=
PCI4=
PCI5=
PCI6=

6) What make and model disk drives and IDE devices are attached to the
system? How are they jumpered (MA, SL, CS)?

Floppy =
Primary Master =
Primary Slave =
Secondary Master =
Secondary Slave =

RAID Primary Master =
RAID Primary Slave =
RAID Secondary Master=
RAID Secondary Slave =

7) What other IO devices are connected?

LPT =
Com1 =
Com2 =
PS/2 Keyboard =
PS/2 Mouse =
USB =
Game =

8) What Operating system are you using? Which Service Pack?

Is this OS an upgrade or a fresh install on THIS motherboard?

In what order were the drivers installed and what version are
they?

If this still does not work:

1) Try to exchange the item with your vendor
2) Visit http://helpdesk.asus.com on the web, click on the ASUS RMA
Online
link, and request an RMA
3) Send an E-mail to with your name, address and phone
number, and the serial number of your product.
4) If you are in the USA or Canada, please call our RMA department at
(510)739-3777 option 3. Please have the serial number of your ASUS
product
handy when you call.

If you need further assistance, please contact us back at 502-995-0883

For Knowledge Base Please click the link:
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/faq/faq.aspx

For CPU Support for MB Please click the link:
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusu...pusupport.aspx

For Technical Reference Please click the link:
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/engli...ref/index.aspx

For Download Please click the link:
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/download.aspx
end quote
Old July 4th 03, 07:10 PM
rstlne

If the uk side replied to you then your lucky, I have sent 3 emails (2 to
support and 1 to other) and 0 have received a reply, the Tiwan/Global
service department has contacted me but I guess they cant understand the
problem so they told me to try my local rep again..