Is There a "Reburn"-Type Software?

Old June 30th 03, 08:25 PM
JamesDad

Default Is There a "Reburn"-Type Software?

I've just been over the FAQ, and couldn't find an answer to my question,
so I'm trying here.

One of the bigger "coaster" problems I've had is where there's something
on a CD-R such as a scratch, piece of hair or other debris, fingerprint,
etc. It's frustrating, as it's possible that once the problem has been
rectified, that the "bad" parts of the CD-R might be good.

Does any CD-R software (I'm speaking particularly of 32-bit Windows
software) have a "re-burn" feature where a repaired or cleaned coaster
could have the data re-burned (synchronized with the data which is already
there) in hopes of getting a good disc? I hate burning coasters from the
environmental/trash perspective as well as the cost perspective, and I'd
love to know if such software exists.

Here's an example; I'm presently burning some CD-R's of an ISO, and one of
them didn't burn correctly (I'm using John Beardmore's XDIFF32 utility to
compare, available from http://www.wookie.demon.co.uk/xdiff/; it's
freeware). I did discover a loose hair and a scratch on the CD-R after
running a compare between it and a couple of other copies. I'd love to be
able to fix it and re-burn it, with the software filling in the bad spots
if possible.

Does such a beast exist? Thanks.

(Note to SMH: I've experienced this problem with different types of
software and burners, so you can save your anti-Roxio diatribe. In this
case, it was Nero that I was using. Besides that, I've plonked you so I
don't have to sift through your crap to find real help. I'll only say that
I hope you've gotten past your denial enough so YOU can get real help of
the mental health variety--you don't have to stay that way.)

I'm Mike--James' Dad, hence "JamesDad". I use this nym in memory of my
son James Webb (1992-2000) who died fighting leukemia. He was a greater
man at 8 than some ever become. May his life, battle and story never be
forgotten! More info at http://www.themiraclekids.com/mem-james.htm.
Old June 30th 03, 11:00 PM
smh

Mike Webb (JamesDad) wrote:

Mike Webb:

"it's not just versions of DirectCD that don't talk to each other."

Mike Webb:

"is there a different packet-writing program that can read
a DirectCD-compatible UDF CD-RW?"

smh:

"Tell me, how could there be DCD-compatibles
when DCD are not compatible between themselves?"
Old July 1st 03, 03:58 AM
Tim Kroesen

Please note the *NEW* Abuse addy for SMH...

Be sure to mention this psychotic has been suspended from Usenet posting
many times; most recently from Giganews. As he may be just
circumventing abuse reports there, please continue to address them to
GIganews also until they state he is no longer a customer for TOS abuse.

;

Old July 1st 03, 04:05 AM
Tim Kroesen

If you can read the data correctly than the built in error correction on
a data disc (mode) has already done its job... Copy the disc to your
HDD and burn again; blanks are cheap. If you have sufficient disc
capacity use the same disc if you wish using a linked or unlinked
session; assuming you left the disc open. A slight 'compare' error does
not necessarily mean you can't read/copy the data itself correctly.

Tim K

Old July 1st 03, 04:23 AM
Nobody_of_Consequence

There should be sw that does this, considering
how expensive blank disk are! A bin of 50
TY's cost me $4.99. Also too much time
is wasted to burn the disk over again. My
ridiculously slow Liteon takes over 3 minutes to
burn a full disk! I for one will be glad when
someone releases a 480x burner. 48x is too
damed slow.

"JamesDad" wrote in message
[...]

On the brink of madness... I.C. Koets General 18 January 31st 05 10:49 PM
Update on Athlon 2600 Ghz discrepancy David Simmons Overclocking AMD Processors 7 August 27th 04 08:56 PM
Updrade PC Guy Smith General 22 August 15th 04 01:57 AM
Freedom: Coming to a Windows Box Near You Ablang General 0 June 30th 04 03:04 AM