Who is building high quality power supplies?

Old February 10th 09, 12:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
TVeblen

Default Who is building high quality power supplies?

I'm going to be researching supplies for an i7-X58 rig. I will be looking at
the 600-700W range. Which manufacturers are building high quality,
dependable supplies?
I have used Seasonic and like them. Are they still dependable?

Old February 10th 09, 06:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dave[_34_]

"TVeblen" wrote in message
I'm going to be researching supplies for an i7-X58 rig. I will be looking

at
the 600-700W range. Which manufacturers are building high quality,
dependable supplies?
I have used Seasonic and like them. Are they still dependable?

Short answer: BFG ES-800

Longer answer...there are no quality power supplies in the 600-700W range.
OK, an oddball corsair unit thrown in here and there. All the quality is
concentrated in below 500W or above 750W. But the BFG ES-800 is an
interesting beast, made to be ultra efficient in a range from about 200W to
1000W. Yeah, read about it. -Dave

Old February 10th 09, 08:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Fitz[_2_]

TVeblen wrote:
I'm going to be researching supplies for an i7-X58 rig. I will be looking at
the 600-700W range. Which manufacturers are building high quality,
dependable supplies?
I have used Seasonic and like them. Are they still dependable?

I've been very pleased with the Corsair HX series (modular 520 and 620W)
and
the TX750 (non-modular, single 12V rail). I haven't tried the Thermaltake
Toughpower or Toughpower XT, but they are getting good/excellent reviews.

Fitz

--
Your body is a temple boy,
You ought to treat it well
Old February 10th 09, 08:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bob Knowlden[_2_]

There are probably good PSUs in the 600-700W range (from PC Power & Cooling,
Corsair, some OCZ, etc). I suggest using the "power search" option at
www.newegg.com, even if you can't (or won't) do business with them. The 610W
PC Power & Cooling unit has had a favorable reputation for several years.

However, in terms of pricing, the 750W supplies seem to cost no more. In
particular,

(PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Crossfire. $100 with free shipping. A $20
rebate is available.) I prefer PSUs like this one, with single 12V rails.
I'm using it with an X58 system, including a single nVidia GTX280 graphics
card. (It may not be hefty enough for 2 high-end cards in SLI. It worked
fine with a pair of ATI HD4870s on an X48 board, though.)

Old February 10th 09, 09:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
larry moe 'n curly

TVeblen wrote:

I'm going to be researching supplies for an i7-X58 rig. I will be looking at
the 600-700W range. Which manufacturers are building high quality,
dependable supplies?
I have used Seasonic and like them. Are they still dependable?

Try www.JonnyGuru.com. He tests lots of PSUs and has a list arranged
in order of best to worst. Seasonic is still very good, as are
Enhance, PC Power & Cooling, Silverstone/Etasis. Other good makes are
Fortron-Source and Delta.
Old February 10th 09, 09:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
TVeblen

"Bob Knowlden" wrote in message
There are probably good PSUs in the 600-700W range (from PC Power &
Cooling, Corsair, some OCZ, etc). I suggest using the "power search"
option at www.newegg.com, even if you can't (or won't) do business with
them. The 610W PC Power & Cooling unit has had a favorable reputation for
several years.

However, in terms of pricing, the 750W supplies seem to cost no more. In
particular,

(PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Crossfire. $100 with free shipping. A $20
rebate is available.) I prefer PSUs like this one, with single 12V rails.
I'm using it with an X58 system, including a single nVidia GTX280 graphics
card. (It may not be hefty enough for 2 high-end cards in SLI. It worked
fine with a pair of ATI HD4870s on an X48 board, though.)

Thanks for that Bob. I should have said "600 watts or better" in my post. I
have no reason not to put a bigger PS in!

How do you like that 280? That's a card I'm considering.

Old February 10th 09, 09:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
TVeblen

"TVeblen" wrote in message
I'm going to be researching supplies for an i7-X58 rig. I will be looking
at the 600-700W range. Which manufacturers are building high quality,
dependable supplies?
I have used Seasonic and like them. Are they still dependable?

To all:
Correction: I would need a minimum 600 watt supply. Anything larger would
do.

Old February 10th 09, 09:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
TVeblen

"larry moe 'n curly" wrote in message

TVeblen wrote:

I'm going to be researching supplies for an i7-X58 rig. I will be looking
at
the 600-700W range. Which manufacturers are building high quality,
dependable supplies?
I have used Seasonic and like them. Are they still dependable?

Try www.JonnyGuru.com. He tests lots of PSUs and has a list arranged
in order of best to worst. Seasonic is still very good, as are
Enhance, PC Power & Cooling, Silverstone/Etasis. Other good makes are
Fortron-Source and Delta.

I'm going there now.

Old February 11th 09, 12:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
TVeblen

"Bill" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
I'm going to be researching supplies for an i7-X58 rig. I will be looking
at
the 600-700W range. Which manufacturers are building high quality,
dependable supplies?
I have used Seasonic and like them. Are they still dependable?

I doubt you'll get anything but anecdotal answers or references to
websites that do actual PS testing so here's my tuppence.

Go to Newegg and look at the 80 PLUS certified including bronze
and silver supplies:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?
Submit=Property&Subcategory=58&Description=&Type=& N=2010320058
&srchInDesc=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&PropertyCodeValue =1314%3A28169
&PropertyCodeValue=1314%3A14179&PropertyCodeValue= 1314%3A14178
&PropertyCodeValue=4097%3A43845&PropertyCodeValue= 4097%3A30089
&PropertyCodeValue=4097%3A43844

http://preview.tinyurl.com/begawy

I work on the principal that to get those ratings the manufacturers
have to use better quality components and better designs than the
other supplies.

After you've chosen one check to see what the customer reviews have
to say. The more reviews the better statistical sampling you have.

Then check this site for a review:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?
name=NDReviews&op=Review_Cat&recatnum=13

He seems to do a more comprehensive test that some others.

Using my method I'd have high on my list:

But there are plenty of others to choose from.

Bill

Funny! I just finished my short list and those supplies are on it!
I agree with your methodology. I also think that some companies are
committed to quality, others are committed to price. But thing change, so
I'm not going on 4 year old knowledge here. Thanks for the input.
BTW: What do think about Rosewill. I've bought several other components and
have been pleased.

Old February 11th 09, 03:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bob Knowlden[_3_]

I'd recommend the GTX280. I haven't had it long, but I'm pleased with its
performance. I have the impression that nVidia's driver installers are less
persnickety than AMD's installers for the Radeon HD4870 series. (I mean the
*installers*. If the AMD drivers installed properly, they seemed to run
well.)

The GTX285 would be preferred that this time, if you can afford the extra
money. It appears to be a die shrink of the 280, allowing it to run at
higher clocks.

The GTX260 (216 stream processor version) looks like a good alternative to
the 280: most of the performance, at roughly 2/3 the price.