PC dying or dead- is mobo the cause?

Old February 9th 09, 02:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
jinxy

Default PC dying or dead- is mobo the cause?

Hey all, I am currently trying to solve a computer no run problem. My
younger`sisters pc was running fine up to a week ago, and then she
started getting random" freeze ups,"( is how she put it). Now it won't
run at all. The system was put together by MDG about 4 or 5yrs ago.
When the power is turned on, the processor, case and psu fans all
run,the cd-roms both power up and the HD is also running, the mobo
green light comes on but won't proceed into bios screen. There are no
beeps to hear because there is no speaker and I can't find a place on
the board to plug one in. I have removed the Hd and the video card and
they both run fine in another pc. The psu has also been swapped out
for a known working unit. Both psu are 350w. I have also removed the
cpu fan,heatsink and cpu to check for damages. When the cpu and
heatsink were replaced I applied a fresh coating of Arctic Silver. The
cmos battery has been taken out and left out overnight,still no go. I
have no way of checking the ram, but I did try different modules of
ddr pc 2700, only to be greeted with the same outcome. The system
board looks to be an Intel D845EGB2 with a P4 1.7 and 256mb of ddr 266
ram. Is it posible that builders like MDG can put some kind of lock
out or am I just grasping at straws? I know its an older system but
with things the way they are with the economy and all she would rather
not buy a new pc at this point in time. I also know that something
like this has been asked before, many times, and I apologise but I am
at the end of my know how, and am looking for some help. If I have
forgotten something please bare with me. If you can help, I would be
glad to hear from you. Thanks in advance for you efforts and patience.
Jinxy
Old February 9th 09, 03:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
ToolPackinMama

jinxy wrote:
Hey all, I am currently trying to solve a computer no run problem. My
younger`sisters pc was running fine up to a week ago, and then she
started getting random" freeze ups,"( is how she put it). Now it won't
run at all. The system was put together by MDG about 4 or 5yrs ago.

Well there's your problem. IT'S OLD.

You know how light-bulbs eventually burn out? You know why they do?
Cos they are OLD.
Old February 9th 09, 05:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

jinxy wrote:
[...]

Have you checked the condition of the electrolytic capacitors near
the processor ? Are the caps bulging or leaking ? The top of the cap
should remain flat. The pattern stamped in the metal (might look
like the letter "K"), is for pressure relief. If the cap develops
internal pressure, the metal opens so the cap won't explode. If
that metal top is bulged, it means the capacitors are about
to fail. Failing capacitors cause improper voltage to the processor,
and you could see a freeze or crash.

If it was some other problem, and the processor was still running,
then you might hear a beep code delivered through the computer
case internal speaker. The beep code could indicate "bad RAM" or
"bad video" for example. If RAM and video are working, then other
error messages might be printed on the screen by the BIOS.

The speaker is a piezoelectric one, item "V" on PDF page 9, lower left corner.
So a case speaker is not needed, since there is a 1/2" speaker on
the motherboard.

(For D845EBG2 and D845EPT2 boards.)
ftp://download.intel.com/support/mot...G2_English.pdf

You can also get the bad capacitors, inside the ATX power supply.
I recently had an Antec power supply fail, and four output caps
were leaking on top. You could check with your multimeter, to see
if the voltages from the supply are correct - the other option
would be to swap another spare supply and see if the symptoms
change.

Paul
Old February 9th 09, 08:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dave[_34_]

"jinxy" wrote in message
[...]

OK, the symptom you have points to a bad power supply. I know you said you
swapped the power supply and that the 2nd power supply is known good.
HOWEVER, how old are both power supplies? The reason I ask is, as power
supplies "age", their specifications decrease dramatically. That is, a
"350W" power supply might be only good for 200W when new, and might be only
good for 125W when it's just a few years old. That might be "good" for one
system, but not another. With your symptom pointing to a bad power supply,
I wouldn't rule out a power supply until I tried a brand new one of at least
450W. Even THEN, brand new power supplies are known to be DOA. It happens.

Point is, follow the symptom. The symptom points to bad power supply. Rule
that out with absolute certainty before you start looking elsewhere.

But if it's not the power supply, something is mimicking a bad power supply.
Like maybe something is shorted out somewhere, drawing voltage down, causing
the system not to post? So if a brand new power supply doesn't work...just
for the heckuvit, I'd try booting with NO drives connected. At best, you'll
get error messages on screen. But that would be better than nothing, and
give you a clue where to look next. -Dave

Old February 9th 09, 10:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
larry moe 'n curly

jinxy wrote:

[...]

www.badcaps.net has FAQs and forums that may help, and DIY repair can
be cheap for those who know how to solder (not too difficult) and
desolder (more difficult). CPUs very rarely fail, unless zapped by
static during handling or by a high voltage surge from lightning or an
electric company mistake. But electrolytic capacitors (upright oblong
capacitors in shrink wrap) are infamous for failing in as little as a
year, especially those located near the CPU socket (voltage
regulator), which are driven harder than the capacitors spread around
the mobo (but in my case, only the latter failed on my Asrock mobo;
they were also the only Chinese capacitors).

Old February 9th 09, 10:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
larry moe 'n curly

ToolPackinMama wrote:

jinxy wrote:

Hey all, I am currently trying to solve a computer no run problem. My
younger`sisters pc was running fine up to a week ago, and then she
started getting random" freeze ups,"( is how she put it). Now it won't
run at all. The system was put together by MDG about 4 or 5yrs ago.

Well there's your problem. IT'S OLD.

You know how light-bulbs eventually burn out? You know why they do?
Cos they are OLD.

4-5 years should be nothing for a mobo built with quality capacitors,
but even Intel mobos were made with bad caps.

Are you the kind of person who tosses out the whole car just because a
headlight burns out?
Old February 9th 09, 10:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

"larry moe 'n curly" wrote:

ToolPackinMama wrote:

jinxy wrote:

Hey all, I am currently trying to solve a computer no run
problem. My younger`sisters pc was running fine up to a week
ago, and then she started getting random" freeze ups,"( is how
she put it). Now it won't run at all. The system was put
together by MDG about 4 or 5yrs ago.

Well there's your problem. IT'S OLD.

You know how light-bulbs eventually burn out? You know why they
do? Cos they are OLD.

4-5 years should be nothing for a mobo built with quality
capacitors, but even Intel mobos were made with bad caps.

Are you the kind of person who tosses out the whole car just
because a headlight burns out?

Sounds like you are comparing bad capacitors on a motherboard with
burned-out headlights on a car. There is no comparison between the two
with respect to repair costs versus the cost of the whole.

--
Are you a blissfully ignorant voter? Do you buy stuff made in some
undisclosed location in China by faceless workers you will never
Old February 9th 09, 10:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
larry moe 'n curly

John Doe wrote:

"larry moe 'n curly" wrote:

ToolPackinMama wrote:

jinxy wrote:

Hey all, I am currently trying to solve a computer no run
problem. My younger`sisters pc was running fine up to a week
ago, and then she started getting random" freeze ups,"( is how
she put it). Now it won't run at all. The system was put
together by MDG about 4 or 5yrs ago.

Well there's your problem. IT'S OLD.

You know how light-bulbs eventually burn out? You know why they
do? Cos they are OLD.

4-5 years should be nothing for a mobo built with quality
capacitors, but even Intel mobos were made with bad caps.

Are you the kind of person who tosses out the whole car just
because a headlight burns out?

Sounds like you are comparing bad capacitors on a motherboard with
burned-out headlights on a car.

Well, since that's what was said...

There is no comparison between the two
with respect to repair costs versus the cost of the whole.

As long as the repair is quite a bit cheaper than the device, the
repair makes sense. I recently spent $8 for capacitors to fix two
mobos that could probably be bought for $25-$70 apiece. The repair
took less time than ordering and installing replacement mobos, and the
old mobos will probably way outlast new ones because I used Japanese
capacitors.

Old February 9th 09, 10:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
jinxy

On Feb 9, 5:06*pm, "larry moe 'n curly"
wrote:
ToolPackinMama wrote:
jinxy wrote:
Hey all, I am currently trying to solve a computer no run problem. My
younger`sisters pc was running fine up to a week ago, and then she
started getting random" freeze ups,"( is how she put it). Now it won't
run at all. The system was put together by MDG about 4 or 5yrs ago.

Well there's your problem. *IT'S OLD.

You know how light-bulbs eventually burn out? *You know why they do?
Cos they are OLD.

4-5 years should be nothing for a mobo built with quality capacitors,
but even Intel mobos were made with bad caps.

Are you the kind of person who tosses out the whole car just because a
headlight burns out?

I will have a look tonight and see if I can see any visible signs of
bad caps. No I will not toss out this pc. I will continue to try and
bring it back to life. Old or not it did work once, my grandfather is
old but we still like having him around.
jinxy
Old February 10th 09, 02:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Feb 9, 9:45 am, jinxy wrote:
[...]

I bought newegg new, a 2.6Mhz AMD single-core and Gigabyte MB for
around $80, and probably paid too much for 2G DDR2, (sometimes on *if-
compliant* $5 rebate/sales), say right about for $110US, total, out of
my pocket. (IDESATA adapter interface boards are $6 off EBAY
shipped. Case and PS were rebated 1/2 off items, peachy OZC 500W &
ANTEC 300, both for $100. HD 640G WD $63. Video's onboard, for now.)
One of the biggest industry problems I encounter when dealing with
somebody's no-name budget MB slap-together, is it is not lovingly
crafted from only hand-selected components I pick.

PC freezing/dying, not sure if Mobo or HD or Graphics card Ollie[_2_] General 9 March 3rd 08 01:49 AM
HD dying or dead? jinxy General 15 January 22nd 08 04:05 AM
windows freezes, dying / dead mbrd [email protected] General 0 March 13th 07 03:47 AM
Dead Mobo, New Mobo, Slow load Windows, CPU Idle at 50% slazareth Homebuilt PC's 3 September 27th 05 02:23 AM
What can I do about my dead mobo? Zenobia General 3 January 5th 04 09:30 PM