Network bridge problem

Old January 16th 09, 10:02 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Default Network bridge problem

Hi,

My cable wireless modem is too far away in the house and behind too
many walls from my home cluster that I have set up an old computer as
a relay PC.

The network looks like this:

Wifi cable router
..
..
.. --- Wireless connection
..
..
Relay PC with USB wireless dongle

| --- Ethernet cable

8 port switch

| --- Ethernet cables

PC1, etc.

If I set up my relay PC to only have a wireless connection to the
router with the ethernet connection disabled, I get full internet
connectivity. ipconfig /all gives:
Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Relay
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 54M Wireless USB Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-12-3C-5A-13-0F
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 16 January 2009 00:01:27
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 16 January 2009 04:01:27

If I enable my ethernet connection and select both ethernet/wireless
to have a network bridge, I get the following results:
Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Relay
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
Ethernet adapter Network Bridge (Network Bridge):
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : MAC Bridge Miniport
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 01-02-3F-04-0C-1E
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 16 January 2009 00:05:49
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 16 January 2009 04:05:49

A wierd error happens where I can connect to Google and get up-to-date
Google News, Groups, etc. When I ping a website (like news websites) I
can resolve their numerical IP address. However, when I try to connect
to them, the connection doesn't work. I've tried turning off my
Windows and software firewalls but it still doesn't work.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

Thanks.
Old January 16th 09, 11:11 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Rarius

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" wrote in message
Hi,

My cable wireless modem is too far away in the house and behind too
many walls from my home cluster that I have set up an old computer as
a relay PC.

SNIP

A wierd error happens where I can connect to Google and get up-to-date
Google News, Groups, etc. When I ping a website (like news websites) I
can resolve their numerical IP address. However, when I try to connect
to them, the connection doesn't work. I've tried turning off my
Windows and software firewalls but it still doesn't work.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

What routing software are you running on the "stepping stone" PC? Have you
just bridges the connections using the XP "bridge connections" option?.
This might help
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art.../wxpbrdge.html

XP generally has difficulty having both wired and wireless connections on
the same PC.

Personally, I would have just gone and bought a longer CAT5e cable and wired
the whole lot, but then I think wireless networks should only be used where
absolutely needed! You can buy 305m reels of CAT5e cable and wall sockets
for a few quid. I cabled up my observatory over 50yrds from my house and it
cost me less than the wireless router would have! And I had a full 100mbps
connection to the computers in the house too, not the crappy 1-2mbps
wireless would have given me!

Rarius

Old January 16th 09, 12:30 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
bcoombes

Rarius wrote:
[...]

Did you bury it in a proper cable trench with marker tape to SI standards.
Old January 16th 09, 01:35 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

On 16 Jan, 11:11, "Rarius" wrote:
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" wrote in ...

Hi,

My cable wireless modem is too far away in the house and behind too
many walls from my home cluster that I have set up an old computer as
a relay PC.

SNIP

A wierd error happens where I can connect to Google and get up-to-date
Google News, Groups, etc. When I ping a website (like news websites) I
can resolve their numerical IP address. However, when I try to connect
to them, the connection doesn't work. I've tried turning off my
Windows and software firewalls but it still doesn't work.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

What routing software are you running on the "stepping stone" PC? Have you
just bridges the connections using the XP "bridge connections" option?.
This might helphttp://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/wxpbrdge.html

Yes I'm just using Windows XP's bridge connections option.

XP generally has difficulty having both wired and wireless connections on
the same PC.

I was beginning to figure that out. Even when I don't bridge the
connections, and have just wired + wireless connections on, this
problem arises.

Personally, I would have just gone and bought a longer CAT5e cable and wired
the whole lot, but then I think wireless networks should only be used where
absolutely needed! You can buy 305m reels of CAT5e cable and wall sockets
for a few quid. I cabled up my observatory over 50yrds from my house and it
cost me less than the wireless router would have! And I had a full 100mbps
connection to the computers in the house too, not the crappy 1-2mbps
wireless would have given me!

If there is an outdoor portion of about 3m, how weatherproof are
ethernet cables? Will they survive in wet/dry, hot/cold, sun, snow,
etc. or do I need to put them in a PVC pipe?
Old January 16th 09, 03:22 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Chris[_15_]

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 05:35:23 -0800 (PST), Quis custodiet ipsos custodes
wrote:

On 16 Jan, 11:11, "Rarius" wrote:
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" wrote in ...

Personally, I would have just gone and bought a longer CAT5e cable and wired
the whole lot, but then I think wireless networks should only be used where
absolutely needed! You can buy 305m reels of CAT5e cable and wall sockets
for a few quid. I cabled up my observatory over 50yrds from my house and it
cost me less than the wireless router would have! And I had a full 100mbps
connection to the computers in the house too, not the crappy 1-2mbps
wireless would have given me!

If there is an outdoor portion of about 3m, how weatherproof are
ethernet cables? Will they survive in wet/dry, hot/cold, sun, snow,
etc. or do I need to put them in a PVC pipe?

Love your nick. FWIW, in 2002 I ran a south facing, 20 meter Cat 5
outside cable between house and garage, and has resisted very hot summers
and occasional sub-freezing winter-days.

It's not buried, but stapled to the outside walls, with a 2 meter aerial
section between the two buildings in a PVC pipe.

If you have to bury your Ethernet cable look for external grade and yes,
a PVC pipe gives more protection.

It goes without saying that you should check what your local regulations
prescribe, if anything, first.

Old January 16th 09, 03:32 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Rarius

"bcoombes" wrote in message
Rarius wrote:
Personally, I would have just gone and bought a longer CAT5e cable and
wired the whole lot, but then I think wireless networks should only be
used where absolutely needed! You can buy 305m reels of CAT5e cable and
wall sockets for a few quid. I cabled up my observatory over 50yrds from
my house and it cost me less than the wireless router would have!

Did you bury it in a proper cable trench with marker tape to SI
standards.

No I didn't bury it. I put it through pvc conduit attached to the fence.

Rarius

Old January 16th 09, 03:36 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Rarius

On 16 Jan, 11:11, "Rarius" wrote:

Personally, I would have just gone and bought a longer CAT5e cable and
wired
the whole lot, but then I think wireless networks should only be used
where
absolutely needed! You can buy 305m reels of CAT5e cable and wall sockets
for a few quid. I cabled up my observatory over 50yrds from my house and
it
cost me less than the wireless router would have! And I had a full
100mbps
connection to the computers in the house too, not the crappy 1-2mbps
wireless would have given me!

If there is an outdoor portion of about 3m, how weatherproof are
ethernet cables? Will they survive in wet/dry, hot/cold, sun, snow,
etc. or do I need to put them in a PVC pipe?

Standard Cat5e cable is waterproof, but degrades quite badly with UV (ie
sunlight). I would suggest that you run it through some pvc conduit. That
should only add a few quid to the price. If you can't find conduit, 15mm
pvc or copper waterpipe is just as good.

Rarius

Old January 16th 09, 07:02 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Paul

On 16 Jan, 11:11, "Rarius" wrote:
[...]

I can think of a number of solutions

1) Have cable modem installer, install the cable modem inside
the premises, so that any kludge solutions are avoided. Then,
it it their responsibility to route the cable TV coax cable in
a safe manner.

2) On the cable modem, if it has an external connector for an
antenna, substitute a directional antenna on the unit, and point
that at your house. Presumably, if you're the only person needing
access to the wireless modem, then making the antenna directional
will not be a problem.

3) Bridge the gap between buildings with fiber optic cable and
Ethernet to Fiber adaptation equipment. That will avoid lightning
protection issues. I'm not so much worried about a direct hit,
as an indirect one. Long runs of outdoor wire, function as
a transformer winding, and can end up at high potential
via coupling of one sort or another. At the very least, you
could consult with a local electrician, for a guide to
best practice.

4) My very last choice, would be to run wire between buildings.
They do make little surge protector plates. Notice there is
no specification as to the level of protection afforded.

http://www.ethernetextender.com/ethe...ucts/250LP.php

Even a buried cable can have a potential induced into it. But
with conduit and some grounding, the exposure might be reduced.

The cleanest solution is to get the cable modem installed
in the right building to begin with. Even if the installation
charge is a few more dollars. With a wired connection to your
PC, you have one less thing to worry about (wireless performance
as a function of the equipment your neighbors are using).

HTH,
Paul

Old January 16th 09, 08:14 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
nobody >[_2_]

wrote:

On 16 Jan, 11:11, "Rarius" wrote:
[...]

Unless your local regulations are draconian, most locales have no
regulation on low-voltage outdoor wiring.

As an aside, most CAT5e "inside" cable in the darker colors will handle
outdoor use for a few years. We put in a 130 foot run out to a guard
shack at work almost 8 years ago using blue and green cable. Jacket has
faded, but still flexes OK. This was Lucent/Avia CAT6 cable. Previous
"temporary" runs of white or yellow would UV deteriorate in a couple of
years.