I think it must be the power supply

Old January 14th 09, 07:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bill Anderson[_2_]

Default I think it must be the power supply

Well, I think the problem is the power supply and I plan to proceed
down that path this afternoon when I get home, but before I do I'd
like to turn to this forum for advice from anyone who's had the same
experience.

I'm running an ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX with an
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache, 4 gig
Ballistix RAM, three physical hard drives (four up until a couple of
weeks ago when I replaced a 500 GB with a 1.5 TB), and for a Power
Supply: PC Power and Cooling ULTRA-QUIET PSU: SILENCER(R) 610 EPS12V.

Lately the computer has been a little flaky, but I could never get a
problem to repeat. I have been hearing intermittent snapping noises
though -- like electrical discharge, though I've detected no
associated odor. This morning I hit the space bar to turn the
computer on from a full shutdown and while the fans spun up, the
computer didn't boot. The power light was on, though. So I pressed
the reset button and the computer immediately shut down. Then the
fans spun up again, and then in a couple of seconds the computer shut
down again. Then everything spun up again and the computer posted and
I was in business.

This starting, stopping, and starting again is not new -- I've
occasionally experienced that behavior since I built the computer over
a year ago. Usually it happens when I've changed out memory or
something, and it's never led to a major problem. Computer starts,
shuts down, then starts up again all on its own. Does that sound
familiar to anybody?

But the big question is -- does the problem I experienced this morning
sound like a power supply problem, or could something else like the
motherboard be the culprit? I bought a PC Power and Cooling PS
because I thought they were supposed to be the best, the most
dependable. If this turns out to be a PS problem, I'll be looking
elsewhere for power supplies in the future. This will be the second
PC Power and Cooling unit I've had to RM. Maybe they're not as
dependable as everybody says.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
Old January 14th 09, 09:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Bill Anderson wrote:
[...]

When I started hearing those kinds of noises coming from my Antec
power supply, I replaced it. Then took apart the Antec (took the
cover off for a look), to find leaking capacitors inside. Depending
on whether your power supply still has warranty left on it, you can
choose to have a peek inside, or just return it for a warranty repair.
Usually, power supplies have a sticker over a screw, and the
warranty is void is the sticker is broken.

My computer has been just fine, with a new Enermax power supply used
to replace it.

To review the current quality of PCPower/OCZTechnology power supplies,
visit Newegg and look at the comments there for their stuff. From
that, you can see whether it is the "same old PCPower" or not.

Paul
Old January 15th 09, 02:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bill Anderson

Paul wrote:

When I started hearing those kinds of noises coming from my Antec
power supply, I replaced it. Then took apart the Antec (took the
cover off for a look), to find leaking capacitors inside. Depending
on whether your power supply still has warranty left on it, you can
choose to have a peek inside, or just return it for a warranty repair.
Usually, power supplies have a sticker over a screw, and the
warranty is void is the sticker is broken.

My computer has been just fine, with a new Enermax power supply used
to replace it.

To review the current quality of PCPower/OCZTechnology power supplies,
visit Newegg and look at the comments there for their stuff. From
that, you can see whether it is the "same old PCPower" or not.

Thanks, Paul. When I got home this afternoon the computer started right
up from a cold start. No problems at all. I think I'll just wait until
the computer dies at a time when I have a critical need -- which of
course is exactly when it will happen. I hate to contact PC Power to
return a power supply that's working. I do have a spare (though when I
use it I can detect a distinct odor of hot insulation) so I guess the
thing to do is just wait the problem out.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
Old January 15th 09, 06:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
pokey man

"Bill Anderson" wrote in message
Paul wrote:

[...]

I woulnt wait, might take your motherboard or processor with it... try
this,,, boot to bios and watch the voltages for an hour. if the fluctuate
more then 10% replace it.

Pokeyman

Old January 15th 09, 07:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Paul wrote:

[...]

My own preference, is to pull the supply before something dramatic
happens. I've replaced two supplies before they popped, using
whatever sights and smells they had to offer :-) One common
symptom, was an audible change in fan speed on fixed speed fans.
You can start to hear the fans "wander" a bit more than they
would normally. I was hearing that, before the arcing sounds
started. When I had a crash returning from S3 standby, that
was the last straw. I shut down and went shopping locally
for a replacement.

Paul
Old January 15th 09, 04:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bill Anderson

Paul wrote:

[...]

OK, this afternoon when I get home from the office I'll try swapping out
the power supply. Yesterday afternoon when I returned home I hit the
space bar and the computer booted with no problem. Late last night I
shut it down and went to bed. This morning I hit the space bar and the
computer started briefly, hard drive light flashed on, then it all shut
down. Then it all started up, but this time after the hard drive light
flashed once, the fans kept running but there was no post. I left it
that way for about a minute while I was doing something else, and then I
hit the reset button. Everything shut down, and then the computer
started up again, I heard the beep, and it's running just fine. In
other words, this is exactly what happened yesterday morning. I'll
trade out the power supply and if the symptoms go away, I'll know what
to do. Thanks all.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
Old January 16th 09, 12:31 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
pokey man

snip

[...]

I would get a bigger PS evidently its drawing more power then what you
think and the extra amps cant hurt.

Pokeyman

Old January 16th 09, 06:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bill Anderson

pokey man wrote:
snip
[...]

Thanks. It's boxed up with an RMA# and on its way to PC Power and
Cooling for replacement. It was a 610W PS. The spare I'm using now is
400W and it's doing just fine, or appears to be anyway. Sure hope the
problem doesn't recur when I turn the computer on in the morning.
That'll sure be embarrassing to explain to PC Power and Cooling. But
they gave me no problem with the RMA when I explained what had been
going on, so off it goes.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
Old January 16th 09, 08:34 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
pokey man

"Snip
I would get a bigger PS evidently its drawing more power then what you
think and the extra amps cant hurt.

Pokeyman

Thanks. It's boxed up with an RMA# and on its way to PC Power and
Cooling for replacement. It was a 610W PS. The spare I'm using now is
400W and it's doing just fine, or appears to be anyway. Sure hope the
problem doesn't recur when I turn the computer on in the morning.
That'll sure be embarrassing to explain to PC Power and Cooling. But
they gave me no problem with the RMA when I explained what had been
going on, so off it goes.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

Ahhhh under warranty... thats great. sounds like it is under control.

Pokeyman

Old January 30th 09, 12:24 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bill Anderson

Paul wrote:

[...]

OK you guys, a couple of weeks have passed, the warranty replacement is
due to be delivered to me by UPS on Monday, and I have another question.

Prior to experiencing the boot problems I described earlier, I'd also
been experiencing what seemed to be video driver problems. With no
warning and for no observable reason, the screen would go to black and
then recover with a note from Vista indicating the video driver had
failed and had been restarted. I have an ATI Radeon 2600 XT PCIE card
and I'm running the latest ATI drivers. Sometimes the screen would go
black, recover, go black again, recover, etc. until finally there was no
"recover" and I'd have to restart. Other times, it would recover and I
could go on without problems. I tried installing drivers, re-installing
drivers, un-installing drivers over and over again, and sometimes I'd go
for days without problems, but eventually the black screen would return.

Now, in the two weeks since I pulled the 610 watt PC Power and Cooling
power supply and replaced it with the 400 watt StarTech ATX12V 2.01
Professional Power Supply I bought at a local computer supply store in
an emergency a few years ago when a different PC Power and Cooling power
supply failed, I've had no problem whatsoever with the video card. That
doesn't mean it won't start giving problems again any minute, but really
.... two weeks on a different, lower-wattage power supply and no
black-screen problem at all?

Question: Could a failing power supply have been causing the video card
flakiness? And if so, does it make any sense to replace the current
power supply with the PC Power and Cooling unit when it arrives on Monday?

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog