USB-2 ?????

Old December 18th 07, 04:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Xantipis

Default USB-2 ?????

Keep getting a message when I plug anything in my USB port something to the
effect that "...USB-2 is faster...." but it doesn't tell me how to fix it.
Is that a hardware or software issue with the appliance (thumb
drive,camera,scanner)
or my machine?
Thanks
Xan

Old December 18th 07, 04:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SteveH[_2_]

Xantipis wrote:
Keep getting a message when I plug anything in my USB port something
to the effect that "...USB-2 is faster...." but it doesn't tell me
how to fix it. Is that a hardware or software issue with the
appliance (thumb drive,camera,scanner)
or my machine?
Thanks
Xan

It means your motherboard probably doesn't support USB2.
You can either get a USB2 card to put in the PC or replace
the motherboard (or have it replaced).

SteveH

Old December 18th 07, 04:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

"Xantipis" wrote:

Keep getting a message when I plug anything in my USB port
something to the effect that "...USB-2 is faster...." but it
doesn't tell me how to fix it. Is that a hardware or software
issue with the appliance (thumb drive,camera,scanner)
or my machine?
Thanks
Xan

Windows 98/SE/ME sucks, not just for the user but also for anyone
trying to help the user. Most personal computers upgraded to at
least 512 MB of RAM can run Windows XP smoothly. And you can make
Windows XP look exactly like Windows 98, so all you see is a much
more reliable (or much less unreliable) computer.

Congratulations on discovering USB flash drives (thumb drive, memory
stick). If you don't already have a copy of important files from
your hard drive, please use a USB flash drive for that before you
continue doing anything else with your computer.

Good luck and have fun.

Old December 18th 07, 04:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

I wrote:

Nevermind that.

Like SteveH said, it's your mainboard.

By the way, if you upgrade hardware, upgrade to at least Windows XP
at the same time.
Old December 18th 07, 05:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

"Xantipis" wrote:

Keep getting a message when I plug anything in my USB port
something to the effect that "...USB-2 is faster...." but it
doesn't tell me how to fix it. Is that a hardware or software
issue with the appliance (thumb drive,camera,scanner)
or my machine?
Thanks
Xan

Try this.

Right-click on My Computer -- Manage -- Device Manager -- Universal
Serial Bus controllers -- starting with the first entry, right click
and select Properties -- Advanced -- Don't tell me about USB errors

Thanks.
Old December 19th 07, 12:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Ed Medlin

"Xantipis" wrote in message
. ..
Keep getting a message when I plug anything in my USB port something to
the effect that "...USB-2 is faster...." but it doesn't tell me how to fix
it.
Is that a hardware or software issue with the appliance (thumb
drive,camera,scanner)
or my machine?
Thanks
Xan

Did you install the MB drivers?

Ed

Old December 19th 07, 01:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Xantipis wrote:
Keep getting a message when I plug anything in my USB port something to the
effect that "...USB-2 is faster...." but it doesn't tell me how to fix it.
Is that a hardware or software issue with the appliance (thumb
drive,camera,scanner)
or my machine?
Thanks
Xan

If you tell us the make and model of computer, or the make and model
of motherboard being used, we can tell you something about your
options.

The word "Enhanced" in a USB entry in Device Manager, tells you that
there is a driver installed to work with any USB2 capable hardware.
Look at the pictures of the Device Manager window here.

http://www.usbman.com/Guides/checking_for_usb_2.htm

While I can give you another utility to play with, it won't identify
whether the proper driver is missing or not. This utility does give
some info about the USB devices you've plugged in. But you have to
know how to interpret the information given. Not everything I'd like
to know, is exposed by this utility. Something like SiSoftware Sandra
or Everest, may give more information about whether the hardware is
USB2 capable or not. You should be able to find a free version of
Sandra for download (there are also commercial versions for purchase).

Microsoft UVCview utility for USB config info:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...VCViewdwn.mspx

Sometimes, a BIOS setting can be used to disable USB2, which is
something else you could check.

"Sandra Lite" is mentioned as the free version here. Download is on the
second link. You may find the answer with this program.

http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.ht...uy&langx=en&a=
http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.ht...&langx= en&a=

Paul