Vacuum cleaners and computers

Old June 25th 06, 06:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.misc

Default Vacuum cleaners and computers

Is it OK to use a vacuum cleaner right next to a computer? Could the
vacuum cleaner generate magnetic fields strong enough to affect the
hard drive or RAM or anything else in the computer?

Old June 25th 06, 07:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.misc

curious wrote:
Is it OK to use a vacuum cleaner right next to a computer?

Yes.

Could the
vacuum cleaner generate magnetic fields strong enough to affect the
hard drive or RAM or anything else in the computer?

Maximum damage is shop vac plugged in to same aleady overburdoned
circuit, and it may then trip a breaker or something. Which may cause a
particularly crappy and overloaded computer power supply to die.
(very unlikely) Ok so maximum damage is vacuum cleaner knocks computer
off desk, and cause an accident of the humpty dumpty nature.

The magnents inside a hard drive are so powerful, that if you put one
on the palm of your hand, and the other on the back of your hand, the
two magnents will stick together. Most technicians have no fear of a
magnetic screwdriver near a hard drive.

Ram is based on electrostatic charges, not magnetism. So no risk there.

Interference on a wireless network is possible, I suppose. But I don't
really think so.

Old June 25th 06, 07:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.misc

snip

The magnents inside a hard drive are so powerful, that if you put one
on the palm of your hand, and the other on the back of your hand, the
two magnents will stick together. Most technicians have no fear of a
magnetic screwdriver near a hard drive.

I took apart a SCSI drive last year.

The magnets:

As soon as they got near each other...they just flew out of my hands
and stuck together ...
I had to pry them apart with a screw driver!

Old June 25th 06, 08:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.misc

philo wrote:
snip

The magnents inside a hard drive are so powerful, that if you put one
on the palm of your hand, and the other on the back of your hand, the
two magnents will stick together. Most technicians have no fear of a
magnetic screwdriver near a hard drive.

I took apart a SCSI drive last year.

The magnets:

As soon as they got near each other...they just flew out of my hands
and stuck together ...
I had to pry them apart with a screw driver!

They make killer refrigerator magnets, hang your kid's biggest art
project, maybe the whole kid.

PS, the trick is to SLIDE them apart. it's quite beyond human strength
to pull them straight apart.

Old June 25th 06, 10:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.misc

On 2006-06-25, curious wrote:
Is it OK to use a vacuum cleaner right next to a computer?

Generally, yes.

Could the vacuum cleaner generate magnetic fields strong enough
to affect the hard drive or RAM or anything else in the computer?

Generally no. is the computer a bit flakey?

Bye.
Jasen
Old June 25th 06, 02:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.misc

I took apart a SCSI drive last year.

The magnets:

As soon as they got near each other...they just flew out of my hands
and stuck together ...
I had to pry them apart with a screw driver!

They make killer refrigerator magnets, hang your kid's biggest art
project, maybe the whole kid.

I was walking up to the fridge...
but the magnet just pulled it over !!!!! G

PS, the trick is to SLIDE them apart. it's quite beyond human strength
to pull them straight apart.

NOW you tell me!

I eventually figured that out!

Old June 25th 06, 04:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.misc

:

I took apart a SCSI drive last year.

The magnets:

As soon as they got near each other...they just flew out of my hands
and stuck together ...
I had to pry them apart with a screw driver!

They make killer refrigerator magnets, hang your kid's biggest art
project, maybe the whole kid.

I was walking up to the fridge...
but the magnet just pulled it over !!!!! G

PS, the trick is to SLIDE them apart. it's quite beyond human strength
to pull them straight apart.

NOW you tell me!

I eventually figured that out!

Try the MicroSoft Vacuum Cleaner. Their only product that doesn't suck.

--
Joe Soap.
JUNK is stuff that you keep for 20 years,

Old June 26th 06, 01:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.misc

Joe Soap wrote:
:

I took apart a SCSI drive last year.

The magnets:

As soon as they got near each other...they just flew out of my hands
and stuck together ...
I had to pry them apart with a screw driver!

They make killer refrigerator magnets, hang your kid's biggest art
project, maybe the whole kid.

I was walking up to the fridge...
but the magnet just pulled it over !!!!! G

PS, the trick is to SLIDE them apart. it's quite beyond human strength
to pull them straight apart.

NOW you tell me!

I eventually figured that out!

Try the MicroSoft Vacuum Cleaner. Their only product that doesn't suck.

Well, it should.....
Old June 26th 06, 08:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.misc

Vacuum cleaners mak great static electricity generators, particularly if
the humidity is very low. I would be very careful of getting the vacuum
within an inch or more of tha case as a massive ESD can damage circuits
and shorten their life.

John

Old June 27th 06, 04:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.misc

Sjouke Burry wrote:
Joe Soap wrote:

:

I took apart a SCSI drive last year.

The magnets:

As soon as they got near each other...they just flew out of my hands
and stuck together ...
I had to pry them apart with a screw driver!

They make killer refrigerator magnets, hang your kid's biggest art
project, maybe the whole kid.

I was walking up to the fridge...
but the magnet just pulled it over !!!!! G

PS, the trick is to SLIDE them apart. it's quite beyond human strength
to pull them straight apart.

NOW you tell me!

I eventually figured that out!

Try the MicroSoft Vacuum Cleaner. Their only product that doesn't suck.

Well, it should.....

There's a patch for MVC (Microsoft Vacuum Cleaner) 2.0. The product is
then guaranteed to suck.