Who is building high quality power supplies?

Old February 11th 09, 01:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
TVeblen

Default Who is building high quality power supplies?

"Bill" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

nsip

Funny! I just finished my short list and those supplies are on it!
I agree with your methodology. I also think that some companies are
committed to quality, others are committed to price. But thing change, so
I'm not going on 4 year old knowledge here. Thanks for the input.
BTW: What do think about Rosewill. I've bought several other components
and
have been pleased.

They seem to be a new company that buys some other manufacturers
stuff or has it built to spec then slaps their name on it, ala
Antec. They haven't been around long enough to have established a
good rep but most of their stuff seem to be Walmart quality, if you
know what I mean. I bought a cheap video card and a cheap 350 watt
power supply of theirs and they did the job and haven't died yet but
I'd be shy of putting a lot of money into one of their products.

The parts weren't for me but for somebody that wanted the cheapest
fix possible. If the parts had died though I would have heard about
it.

Bill

Good to know. I've bought mice, keyboards, PCI cards from them. They work -
they're cheap. Power supplies and motherboards (not that they do
motherboards) - not so sure if cheap is the right way to go. Thanks.

Old February 12th 09, 12:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Feb 11, 8:06*am, "TVeblen" wrote:
Good to know. I've bought mice, keyboards, PCI cards from them. They work -
they're cheap. Power supplies and motherboards (not that they do
motherboards) - not so sure if cheap is the right way to go.

More important than reputation are the numbers. Responsible
manufacturers can provide a full sheet of numeric specifications that
all power supplies must meet. To forget some essential functions, a
power supply manufacturer will not provide those specs. And then
those who would actually identify the supply as defective have no
numbers - must remain silent.

Without specs, those who actually know power supplies remain
silent. Then the inferior supply can be recommended by those who only
understand watts. A reputation without numeric spec sheets suggests
recommendations without facts.

An example. Most every computer consumes less than 200 watts.
Therefore we install a 350 watt supply - more than sufficient.
However, power supplies sold on myths and without specs may rate the
equivalent supply at 500 watts. No, they did not lie. Used different
numbers since they are marketing to computer assemblers; not to those
with electrical knowledge. Then when the 500 watt supply was
undersized on one voltage, a computer assemblers instead hypes a need
for 700 watt supplies. Notice how may hype 700 watt supplies rather
than discuss current for each voltage. A supply is sized by current
for each voltage - not watts.

Better supplies come with a long list of numeric specifications.
Any minimally sufficient supply starts at $60 retail. Nothing here
says numeric specs and $60 means the supply is sufficient. Post are
two factors that any acceptable supply must meet.

Some examples that any minimally acceptable supply will claim to
meet:
Specification compliance: ATX 2.03 & ATX12V v1.1
Acoustics noise 25.8dBA
Short circuit protection on all outputs
Over voltage protection
Over power protection
100% burn in, high temperature cycled on/off
EMI/RFI compliance: CE, CISPR22 & FCC part 15 class B
Safety compliance: VDE, TUV, D, N, S, Fi, UL, C-UL & CB
Hold up time, full load: 16ms.
Efficiency; 100-120VAC and full range: 65%
Dielectric withstand, input to frame/ground: 1800VAC, 1sec.
Dielectric withstand, input to output: 1800VAC, 1sec.
Ripple/noise: 1%
MTBF, full load @ 25°C amb.: 100k hrs