Fry's Electronic Out of Business!!!

Old March 17th 21, 09:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Xanadu99

Default Fry's Electronic Out of Business!!!

Fry is out of business. Before online shop popularity, Fry was the icon of computer and technology carrying suppliers. Shopping at Fry is like in giant techie mall. I bought all my computers and part at Frys and never bought anything from online. My last computer 10yr old was from Frys. I guess online shopping has killed Fry. Last time I was in Fry 15 month ago right before the pandemic I was stunned at whole section of shelves are emptied. I was thinking Is Fry dying...
Old March 17th 21, 05:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Ant[_3_]

Xanadu99 wrote:

Fry is out of business. Before online shop popularity, Fry was the
icon of computer and technology carrying suppliers. Shopping at Fry
is like in giant techie mall. I bought all my computers and part at
Frys and never bought anything from online. My last computer 10yr old
was from Frys. I guess online shopping has killed Fry. Last time I
was in Fry 15 month ago right before the pandemic I was stunned at
whole section of shelves are emptied. I was thinking Is Fry dying...

It's sad. Same with other stores before it: CompUSA, Egghead, Computer
City, etc. I still prefer going in to see, touch, try, etc. before
buying! MicroCenter is too far.
--
Pinch me for not liking and wearing green! :P
| |o o| |
Old March 17th 21, 09:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_41_]

Xanadu99 wrote:
Fry is out of business. Before online shop popularity, Fry was the icon of computer and technology carrying suppliers. Shopping at Fry is like in giant techie mall. I bought all my computers and part at Frys and never bought anything from online. My last computer 10yr old was from Frys. I guess online shopping has killed Fry. Last time I was in Fry 15 month ago right before the pandemic I was stunned at whole section of shelves are emptied. I was thinking Is Fry dying...

There's a pretty interesting video on YouTube that tells the long story
(from the origins of the company to the issues with locations and the
merchandising deals they chose, or were forced to, employ towards the end).
Old March 17th 21, 09:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Wed, 17 Mar 2021 11:55:17 -0500, NT (Ant) wrote:

It's sad. Same with other stores before it: CompUSA, Egghead, Computer
City, etc. I still prefer going in to see, touch, try, etc. before
buying! MicroCenter is too far.

Egghead was another of those Facebook/Microsoft dormroom startups for
extracurricular activities. Dropouts, rather if deferred then for
when the price turns right, Egghead's model/resources was a success
story sold for reorganization into the [Newegg(head)] business
charter. All that feely-touch stuff, too, at least initially is no
doubt worth it to establishing reputability and dominance;- except
there's since only a couple such "real stores" in America -- WallyMart
and Amazon. Up to that tier, it's difficult for those below to
maintain viability. A major creditcard, for instance, pulls it off by
owning an overhead on everybody's interest rates, which they never of
course pay off in (monthly) accumulative charges. Easy walking for
many on the "red carpets" of an insurance pad beneath for all but
obvious abusers. Abusers, though, is exactly what has happened, with
too many and too fast. Newegg had to drop out, excluding their
previous premier services -- courtesy returns, shipping rates,
(openbox discounts) -- Amazon can more easily absorb (the abuse)
through wider diversification/volume NewEgg lacks.

Although, within reputable dealers, among many merchants in a Newegg
class, there's really no difference apart Amazon, either way for a
couple bucks to skew, from a shift and responsibility the consumer now
assumes. Nothing about the former's integrity has changed, but a
requirement for you now to know first the product thoroughly, which
they'll stand behind: A product delivered as promoted. They've
simply removed having to factor being abused by the buyer, Amazon more
likely might indulge, from those whom choose to claim technological
ignorance as a source of dissatisfaction for otherwise functional
products.

Before Newegg changed and did handle that sort of business on returns,
initially I made out OK on some steep discounts on returned products.
But the circuit didn't take long to close in on both sides, as Newegg
attempted to shift out marginal or shoddily-inspected merchandise, QC
becoming more reluctant to acknowledge subsequent complaints, or
return shipping, eventually, inasmuch for most now, who have little
patience left to indulge misunderstandings, period, chalked up to
potentially expensive customer-assessed restocking fees.

Easiest chance on a way out, the consumer now has, a chance they've
knowingly have done and gone screwed the pooch, is refuse delivery:
Touch that box, or what's inside -- you bought it! (Beyond which,
know your rights .)
Old March 18th 21, 01:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

On Wed, 17 Mar 2021 16:21:08 -0400, Flasherly wrote:

| Egghead was another of those Facebook/Microsoft dormroom startups for
| extracurricular activities. Dropouts, rather if deferred then for
| when the price turns right, Egghead's model/resources was a success
| story sold for reorganization into the [Newegg(head)] business
| charter. All that feely-touch stuff, too, at least initially is no
| doubt worth it to establishing reputability and dominance;- except
| there's since only a couple such "real stores" in America -- WallyMart
| and Amazon. Up to that tier, it's difficult for those below to
| maintain viability. A major creditcard, for instance, pulls it off by
| owning an overhead on everybody's interest rates, which they never of
| course pay off in (monthly) accumulative charges. Easy walking for
| many on the "red carpets" of an insurance pad beneath for all but
| obvious abusers. Abusers, though, is exactly what has happened, with
| too many and too fast. Newegg had to drop out, excluding their
| previous premier services -- courtesy returns, shipping rates,
| (openbox discounts) -- Amazon can more easily absorb (the abuse)
| through wider diversification/volume NewEgg lacks.
|
| Although, within reputable dealers, among many merchants in a Newegg
| class, there's really no difference apart Amazon, either way for a
| couple bucks to skew, from a shift and responsibility the consumer now
| assumes. Nothing about the former's integrity has changed, but a
| requirement for you now to know first the product thoroughly, which
| they'll stand behind: A product delivered as promoted. They've
| simply removed having to factor being abused by the buyer, Amazon more
| likely might indulge, from those whom choose to claim technological
| ignorance as a source of dissatisfaction for otherwise functional
| products.
|
| Before Newegg changed and did handle that sort of business on returns,
| initially I made out OK on some steep discounts on returned products.
| But the circuit didn't take long to close in on both sides, as Newegg
| attempted to shift out marginal or shoddily-inspected merchandise, QC
| becoming more reluctant to acknowledge subsequent complaints, or
| return shipping, eventually, inasmuch for most now, who have little
| patience left to indulge misunderstandings, period, chalked up to
| potentially expensive customer-assessed restocking fees.
|
| Easiest chance on a way out, the consumer now has, a chance they've
| knowingly have done and gone screwed the pooch, is refuse delivery:
| Touch that box, or what's inside -- you bought it! (Beyond which,
| know your rights .)

I used to buy almost all my computer stuff from Newegg, but switched to Amazon when
price comparisons showed me they usually had the same or lower prices. And I get 5%
back on everything I buy from them by using Amazon's Visa card. Plus, as a Prime
member, I can return something for any reason. Doing that is almost no problem since
they now have a deal with Kohl's to take returns. It's not even necessary to
disassemble or box them. I took advantage of that for return of a monitor a few
months ago. An email came before the end of the day saying the credit had already
been sent to my charge card.

Larc
Old March 18th 21, 02:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Wed, 17 Mar 2021 20:16:04 -0400, Larc
wrote:

I used to buy almost all my computer stuff from Newegg, but switched to Amazon when
price comparisons showed me they usually had the same or lower prices. And I get 5%
back on everything I buy from them by using Amazon's Visa card. Plus, as a Prime
member, I can return something for any reason. Doing that is almost no problem since
they now have a deal with Kohl's to take returns. It's not even necessary to
disassemble or box them. I took advantage of that for return of a monitor a few
months ago. An email came before the end of the day saying the credit had already
been sent to my charge card.

Larc

Good rundown.

I'm more sporadic, a more occasional purchaser. Although (ssshhhh,
don't tell anyone) I couldn't resist once joining prime for 140lbs. of
discounted olympic plates for the free shipping. Surprising I wasn't
permanently banned. But, as always, the truck delivery guys are fun to
watch, and really love it when the brakes squeal and I open the door
to watch them lug-step it through for a final count, coming up the
yard. Whew!
Old March 18th 21, 07:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Ant[_3_]

Bill wrote:
Xanadu99 wrote:
Fry is out of business. Before online shop popularity, Fry was the icon of computer and technology carrying suppliers. Shopping at Fry is like in giant techie mall. I bought all my computers and part at Frys and never bought anything from online. My last computer 10yr old was from Frys. I guess online shopping has killed Fry. Last time I was in Fry 15 month ago right before the pandemic I was stunned at whole section of shelves are emptied. I was thinking Is Fry dying...

There's a pretty interesting video on YouTube that tells the long story
(from the origins of the company to the issues with locations and the
merchandising deals they chose, or were forced to, employ towards the end).

URL pls.
--
Dang Moderna shot #1 pinched me and gave me a hangover, and I peed in bed.
| |o o| |
Old March 19th 21, 02:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_41_]

Ant wrote:
Bill wrote:
Xanadu99 wrote:
Fry is out of business. Before online shop popularity, Fry was the icon of computer and technology carrying suppliers. Shopping at Fry is like in giant techie mall. I bought all my computers and part at Frys and never bought anything from online. My last computer 10yr old was from Frys. I guess online shopping has killed Fry. Last time I was in Fry 15 month ago right before the pandemic I was stunned at whole section of shelves are emptied. I was thinking Is Fry dying...

There's a pretty interesting video on YouTube that tells the long story
(from the origins of the company to the issues with locations and the
merchandising deals they chose, or were forced to, employ towards the end).

URL pls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to-osQMHxpE
yw.

Old April 2nd 21, 08:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
\R.Wieser\

Xanadu,

Fry is out of business.

.... RIP