Red Hat getting serious about Opteron

Old December 20th 03, 07:36 AM
Yousuf Khan

Default Red Hat getting serious about Opteron

You know that Opteron is serious when you have two rival software companies
competing against each other to get software out that is better
Opteron-optimized than the ohter. It's even more striking that the two
software companies are not just any old software company, but they happen to
be OS developers.

Red Hat is testing a version of its Linux that it hopes will run faster on
Opteron than its previous version, because it is concerned that SuSE's Linux
is too far ahead. The new version of Red Hat has NUMA awareness.

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5130174.html

Old December 20th 03, 01:13 PM
Al Cappizi

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in
Red Hat is testing a version of its Linux that it hopes will run faster on
Opteron than its previous version

Who cares?

Old December 20th 03, 04:05 PM
Carlos Moreno

Al Cappizi wrote:
"Yousuf Khan" wrote in

Red Hat is testing a version of its Linux that it hopes will run faster on
Opteron than its previous version

Who cares?

Well, serious people that want what's best for their IT
infrastructure, for one, should care about this.

Also, people that are sick of Microsoft and Intel (which
should have a huge overlap with the previous category)
should care about this.

Carlos

Old December 20th 03, 04:19 PM
Oxford Systems

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in
message le.rogers.com...
You know that Opteron is serious when you have two rival software

companies
competing against each other to get software out that is better
Opteron-optimized than the ohter. It's even more striking that the two
software companies are not just any old software company, but they happen

be OS developers.

Red Hat is testing a version of its Linux that it hopes will run faster on
Opteron than its previous version, because it is concerned that SuSE's

Linux
is too far ahead. The new version of Red Hat has NUMA awareness.

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5130174.html

I wonder if this activity might prod Microserf to get off their duff and get
Windoze 64 for AMD out there instead of -- as rumoured -- waiting around for
Intel to release their own flavor of x86-64?

--
Dean for America!
http://deanforamerica.com

Old December 20th 03, 07:23 PM
George Macdonald

Subject: Red Hat getting serious about Opteron
From: "Oxford Systems"

Date: 12/20/2003 11:19 AM Eastern Standard Time

snip

I wonder if this activity might prod Microserf to get off their duff and get
Windoze 64 for AMD out there instead of -- as rumoured -- waiting around for
Intel to release their own flavor of x86-64?

M$ get off its duff? Who are you kidding? Some 400 pound heavy from out of
town is sitting on Bill Gates' chest until Intel gets what it needs.

And surely what Intel really wants is the "i" flavor of x86-64 instruction
set in WinXP-64 or whatever the OS is to be called. How could it be
otherwise? Anbody really think that Intel can digest the fact of adopting
a competitors ISA?

AMD fanboys are surely unhappy (and have a right to be), but don't you get some
relief from knowing that Microsoft is afraid of *somebody* (in this case,
Intel--that, by the way, makes Intel more powerful than the US DoJ)?

Uhh, you don't have to be a "fanboy" to get ****ed at this kind of umm,
collaboration. I'm not sure M$ is afraid here - as long as Dell et.al. are
selling P4s and Xeons with Winxx they are in the catbird seat with nothing
much to gain from defecting to AMD. I guess they could be in a position to
lose significantly if Linux/Opteron takes off but that's a murky situation
in itself. IMO a key player here is Larry E., who would love nothing more
than to watch M$ flounder... if he can only dump the slim client fetish he
might have enough grunt to succeed.

We probably won't know for years everything that has gone down and that
continues to go down, but it's a fair bet that nobody's saying what's really
going on.

I hope that AMD has good "intelligence".:-)

Rgds, George Macdonald

Old December 20th 03, 07:50 PM
Rmyers1400

From: George Macdonald
Date: 12/20/2003 2:23 PM Eastern Standard Time
snip

I'm not sure M$ is afraid here - as long as Dell et.al. are
selling P4s and Xeons with Winxx they are in the catbird seat with nothing
much to gain from defecting to AMD. I guess they could be in a position to
lose significantly if Linux/Opteron takes off but that's a murky situation
in itself. IMO a key player here is Larry E., who would love nothing more
than to watch M$ flounder... if he can only dump the slim client fetish he
might have enough grunt to succeed.

It wouldn't just be Linux/Opteron taking off in Intel's offer to Bill that he
will feel unable to refuse. I'm sure they've told him that they've got the
instruction set, and they've got the supporting code for gcc and anything else
required in gnu/linux ready to go for their own 64-bit x86 isa. Take it or
leave it.

You're right. It's probably not Intel that Bill is afraid of. It's gnu/linux.
And yes, Oracle would be a big winner, too. Can't you take *some* pleasure in
thinking about how it must completely ruin any kind of holiday Bill and Steve
have planned for themselves?

RM

Old December 20th 03, 08:42 PM
Al Cappizi

"Carlos Moreno" wrote in message

Red Hat is testing a version of its Linux that it hopes will run faster

on
Opteron than its previous version

Who cares?

Well, serious people that want what's best for their IT
infrastructure, for one, should care about this.

Also, people that are sick of Microsoft and Intel (which
should have a huge overlap with the previous category)
should care about this.

Carlos
--

I don't think I understand the direction of your reply; as far as I can
tell, Linux still hasn't made the big time and I don't think it ever will,

Old December 20th 03, 09:48 PM
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 20 Dec 2003 20:42:49 GMT) it happened "Al Cappizi"
wrote in :

"Carlos Moreno" wrote in message
.. .

Red Hat is testing a version of its Linux that it hopes will run faster

on
Opteron than its previous version

Who cares?

Well, serious people that want what's best for their IT
infrastructure, for one, should care about this.

Also, people that are sick of Microsoft and Intel (which
should have a huge overlap with the previous category)
should care about this.

Carlos
--

I don't think I understand the direction of your reply; as far as I can
tell, Linux still hasn't made the big time and I don't think it ever will,
it's still full of bugs.

I did just read today that 138 governments have now chosen Linux.
Bugs? Sure, my system is up 24 / 7, strange, no reboots.
And I develop things that do put the hardware to the limit.
In windows (I still run 98, because Linux makes it redundant),
always 'reboot', the most stupid thing ever.
Moronic, that reboot business, imagine a car that you had to stop
and restart every time you light your cigar.
I think AMD is really cool, I have an Intel and an AMD PC here.
Both work right, both in MS windows and Linux.
But today I was reading tests of AMD 64 bit (versus G5 Apple), and
AMD is really better... and cheaper (for the same configuration).
Pentium 4 I dunno.... dinosaur.
Then of cause this DRM **** from MS, why alienate your customers?
All those security holes....
Get a good distribution of Linux, Suse maybe, what more can you want?
Most professional software is being ported to Unix / Linux.
Look, there ALWAYS will be bugs, but these will get fixed.
Then the price difference, upgrades, maintenance, lots of people put
love and care into Linux.
A much wider variety of software.
Maybe you are just jealous of us groovy Penguins ;-)
JP
Old December 20th 03, 11:09 PM
Yousuf Khan

"Oxford Systems" wrote in message
ink.net...
I wonder if this activity might prod Microserf to get off their duff and

get
Windoze 64 for AMD out there instead of -- as rumoured -- waiting around

for
Intel to release their own flavor of x86-64?

Microsoft seems to be showing both preferences for some reason. They
recently presented something about AMD64 at a conference in relation to
their Windows Server 2003:

http://www.microsoft.com/malaysia/ev...server/amd.pdf