Whats the cheapest method of backup?

Old April 25th 04, 07:00 PM
half_pint

"Gray asphalt" wrote in message
news:NTRic.37455$dZ1.11262@fed1read04...

"Onideus Mad Hatter" wrote in message
news:i7tm80llkgve86kv2co0r109st851qoue4@farfoos...
: On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 01:06:12 -0700, "Gray asphalt"
wrote:
:
:
: "Onideus Mad Hatter" wrote in message
: news:jf3m80tmujk9k50c3rmf4j4p5fb1cp0g81@farfoos.. .
: : On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 01:50:37 +0100, "half_pint"
: wrote:
: :
: : Whats the cheapest method of backup?
: : Like per giga byte?
: :
: : You can buy blank CDRs for around 11 cents per, that hold 700mb.
: :
: : Blank DVDs cost around 25 cents per and hold 5.4gb.
: :
: : A brand new 250GB HD will cost you around $160.
: :
: : So ultimately:
: :
: : CDRs - .0157 cents per meg
: :
: : DVDRs - .0046 cents per meg
: :
: : HDs - .064 cents per meg
: :
: : *keep in mind these are sorta rough esitmations*
: :
: : Overall though, DVDRs seem to be the way to go (not taking into

account
: zip disks and other media).
: :
: : --
: :
: : Onideus Mad Hatter
: : mhm ¹ x ¹
: : http://www.backwater-productions.net
:
:
: Don't forget to add that the DVDs aren't rewriteable and the
: hard drive is. So the cost is affected.
:
: DVD-RW are, they run for around $57 for a 100 stack on Price Watch, that
equates to 57 cents per
: disk and 12 cents per gig. Which is still WAY cheaper than HDs, USB
drives, Zip drives AND
: CDRW...*shrugs*...
:
: --
:
: Onideus Mad Hatter
: mhm ¹ x ¹
: http://www.backwater-productions.net

True, but the price of rewritable is higher. And as you
point out, or was it someone else, that the time needed
to backup with media in the magnitude of dvd is a lot.
I don't know why the OP chose to go only by price but
I assume that he was able to figure his time and what it
is worth better than anyone else. I would never use DVDs
as I have multiple backups on 3 computers and just don't
have time to swap disks and I really don't do a good job
of organizing and storing backups... so I bought three
external containers for larger drives and keep my backups
on those, which can be moved from box to box. I think
it might be a good idea to save a copy of a freshly
installed system that is working well for a few days. I'm
not sure why I feel that way, maybe it would be so much
easier that reinstalling when necessary. I mean a drive
image or comparable copy that restores the partition
exactly as it is written.

Yes I have a OS image on my slave drive so no reinstalling
and hours of updates for me. I can be back up from a drive failure
in a few minutes.

Old April 25th 04, 08:02 PM
Dumpster

-----SNIP----

| True, but the price of rewritable is higher. And as you
| point out, or was it someone else, that the time needed
| to backup with media in the magnitude of dvd is a lot.
| I don't know why the OP chose to go only by price but
| I assume that he was able to figure his time and what it
| is worth better than anyone else. I would never use DVDs
| as I have multiple backups on 3 computers and just don't
| have time to swap disks and I really don't do a good job
| of organizing and storing backups... so I bought three
| external containers for larger drives and keep my backups
| on those, which can be moved from box to box. I think
| it might be a good idea to save a copy of a freshly
| installed system that is working well for a few days. I'm
| not sure why I feel that way, maybe it would be so much
| easier that reinstalling when necessary. I mean a drive
| image or comparable copy that restores the partition
| exactly as it is written.

After using PowerQuest DriveImage 4.0 for a couple of years and getting
tired of 6 hours to back up 9 gigs on 15 CDRs I bought two 80 gig HDDs
and used one to replace an ailing 60 gig IBM drive and the other for a
clone of the C drive as follows: Both partitioned to 2x40 gig.

First half of DRV-1 is Windows operating system (C).

Second half is for future Linux OS (E).

First half of DRV-2 is bootable clone (D) of (C).

The second half of DRV-2 is being used for large temporary files of
audio and pictures. (F).

To test it I powered down the computer and pulled the power plug from
the master drive (C). Then powered the computer back up. Drive (D)
automatically boots and shows up as the new (C) drive. "My Computer"
then shows only drive (C) and (F). After restoring the power plug
everything returns to normal.

It only takes 25 minutes or so to clone the Windows OS every few days
with Ghost as you mentioned above, and, I don't have to mess with a
bunch of CDRs or RWs. I hope that I never have to build a Windows OS
from scratch again ;-)

Both HDDs were less than $150.00 US.

Not for everyone I'm sure,
--
Dumpster

Old April 25th 04, 08:33 PM
Richard Brooks

half_pint wrote:
Whats the cheapest method of backup?
Like per giga byte?
Do people still use tape drives these days?
And how much do they hold?

regards

half_pint.

Tapes, being in direct contact with the head (among other problems) tend to
give drop outs after a short while in some cases and it seems to take such a
long time.

CDRs are very cheap and with very fast CDRW drives now, it can all take just
a minute.

Richard.

Old April 25th 04, 08:57 PM
bearman

"Dumpster" wrote in message
-----SNIP----

| True, but the price of rewritable is higher. And as you
| point out, or was it someone else, that the time needed
| to backup with media in the magnitude of dvd is a lot.
| I don't know why the OP chose to go only by price but
| I assume that he was able to figure his time and what it
| is worth better than anyone else. I would never use DVDs
| as I have multiple backups on 3 computers and just don't
| have time to swap disks and I really don't do a good job
| of organizing and storing backups... so I bought three
| external containers for larger drives and keep my backups
| on those, which can be moved from box to box. I think
| it might be a good idea to save a copy of a freshly
| installed system that is working well for a few days. I'm
| not sure why I feel that way, maybe it would be so much
| easier that reinstalling when necessary. I mean a drive
| image or comparable copy that restores the partition
| exactly as it is written.

After using PowerQuest DriveImage 4.0 for a couple of years and getting
tired of 6 hours to back up 9 gigs on 15 CDRs I bought two 80 gig HDDs
and used one to replace an ailing 60 gig IBM drive and the other for a
clone of the C drive as follows: Both partitioned to 2x40 gig.

First half of DRV-1 is Windows operating system (C).

Second half is for future Linux OS (E).

First half of DRV-2 is bootable clone (D) of (C).

The second half of DRV-2 is being used for large temporary files of
audio and pictures. (F).

To test it I powered down the computer and pulled the power plug from
the master drive (C). Then powered the computer back up. Drive (D)
automatically boots and shows up as the new (C) drive. "My Computer"
then shows only drive (C) and (F). After restoring the power plug
everything returns to normal.

It only takes 25 minutes or so to clone the Windows OS every few days
with Ghost as you mentioned above, and, I don't have to mess with a
bunch of CDRs or RWs. I hope that I never have to build a Windows OS
from scratch again ;-)

Both HDDs were less than $150.00 US.

Not for everyone I'm sure,
--
Dumpster

I used Acronis True Image to make a clone of my XP boot drive. I have
removeable drive bays so I just have to power down, insert the clone drive,
power up and make the clone. I've only done it once and tested it and it
worked fine.

Funny thing, though. Acronis told me that I can't have both the original XP
boot drive and the clone in the computer at the same time on boot up because
one of them will become unbootable. Does anyone know why this would be so?

Acronis said I should use the floppy disk rescue set I made to boot into DOS
and make the subsequent clones from there.

Bearman

Old April 25th 04, 09:45 PM
half_pint

"bearman" wrote in message

"Dumpster" wrote in message
-----SNIP----

| True, but the price of rewritable is higher. And as you
| point out, or was it someone else, that the time needed
| to backup with media in the magnitude of dvd is a lot.
| I don't know why the OP chose to go only by price but
| I assume that he was able to figure his time and what it
| is worth better than anyone else. I would never use DVDs
| as I have multiple backups on 3 computers and just don't
| have time to swap disks and I really don't do a good job
| of organizing and storing backups... so I bought three
| external containers for larger drives and keep my backups
| on those, which can be moved from box to box. I think
| it might be a good idea to save a copy of a freshly
| installed system that is working well for a few days. I'm
| not sure why I feel that way, maybe it would be so much
| easier that reinstalling when necessary. I mean a drive
| image or comparable copy that restores the partition
| exactly as it is written.

After using PowerQuest DriveImage 4.0 for a couple of years and getting
tired of 6 hours to back up 9 gigs on 15 CDRs I bought two 80 gig HDDs
and used one to replace an ailing 60 gig IBM drive and the other for a
clone of the C drive as follows: Both partitioned to 2x40 gig.

First half of DRV-1 is Windows operating system (C).

Second half is for future Linux OS (E).

First half of DRV-2 is bootable clone (D) of (C).

The second half of DRV-2 is being used for large temporary files of
audio and pictures. (F).

To test it I powered down the computer and pulled the power plug from
the master drive (C). Then powered the computer back up. Drive (D)
automatically boots and shows up as the new (C) drive. "My Computer"
then shows only drive (C) and (F). After restoring the power plug
everything returns to normal.

It only takes 25 minutes or so to clone the Windows OS every few days
with Ghost as you mentioned above, and, I don't have to mess with a
bunch of CDRs or RWs. I hope that I never have to build a Windows OS
from scratch again ;-)

Both HDDs were less than $150.00 US.

Not for everyone I'm sure,
--
Dumpster

I used Acronis True Image to make a clone of my XP boot drive.

I used drag and drop, works fine and its cheap (free).

I have
removeable drive bays so I just have to power down, insert the clone

drive,
power up and make the clone. I've only done it once and tested it and it
worked fine.

Funny thing, though. Acronis told me that I can't have both the original

XP
boot drive and the clone in the computer at the same time on boot up

because
one of them will become unbootable. Does anyone know why this would be

so?

You can have one as a slave drive as I do, I assume the boot is
always from the master normally and you can't two masters.

All I would have to do is move the jumper from master to
slave and vice versa, although strictly speaking I should
swop the drive positions on the cable but if doesn't
seem to be a problem if I don't.

Acronis said I should use the floppy disk rescue set I made to boot into

DOS
and make the subsequent clones from there.

Sounds like a waste of time, just format the drive and copy the files
acrcoss (drag and drop),
You wll be fooked if you try to do it from dos, I know I tried.

Bearman

Old April 25th 04, 10:43 PM
Cerridwen

Bobby wrote:
DVD-RW are

Yes in theory. No in practice.

HUH?! Would you care to elaborate?! I've some DVD-RWs that I've erased and
rewritten to at least 50 times now. I stick the disc in, use Nero to erase
and rewrite - bit of a no-brainer, really.

Old April 25th 04, 10:56 PM
Cerridwen

Onideus Mad Hatter wrote:
On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 00:18:48 -0400, Toshi1873
wrote:

In article -
berlin.de, says...
Whats the cheapest method of backup?
Like per giga byte?
Do people still use tape drives these days?
And how much do they hold?

160GB hard drives are down around $95 ($0.59/GB), a
touch more once you add the $30 enclosure.

AIT2 drives are $1000, each tape is $50 and holds 50GB
(compressed). AIT3 drives are $3500, each tape is $50
but holds 100GB (compressed).

DVD is around $0.25 to $0.40 per GB.

*shakes head* Maybe if you're buying in like Staples.

The cheapest price on Price Watch, for 500 DVDRs is $175 (free
shipping). So that works out to around 35 cents per disk, each disk
holds 4.7 gigs, that's only around 13 cents per gig. *shrugs*

For personal/home use, backing up to external
USB/firewire drives is the easiest and most cost-
effective.

*shakes head*

Uh uh. On Price Watch the CHEAPEST 250mb zip disk will cost you $8,
that's TWENTY FOUR DOLLARS per gig!

And also on Price Watch, a removable 250mb USB Zip drive will cost
you a whopping $40, which equates to around ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY
DOLLARS per gig! o_O

Tape only maWHACK

At this point you've already made yourself look so entirely stupid
that the rest probably isn't even worth commenting on. Please do the
rest of the Inet a favor and just shut the hell up when you don't
know what the **** you're babbling about.

I use Datawrite purchased from
www.blankdiscshop.co.uk - where I also
purchased my Pioneer 107D. I've never had any problems with them - a spindle
of 25 DVD-RWs which, unfortunately, they're out of at the moment but they do
have DataSafe (£10.50 for a pack of 10, but they are 2x. This is roughly
21p/37c per GB) The cheaper Bulkpaq - which I have no experience of - 1x -
are £17 for 25 or 68p each, about 14p/25c per GB).

Old April 25th 04, 10:59 PM
Cerridwen

Onideus Mad Hatter wrote:
On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 02:12:16 -0400, Stacey wrote:

half_pint wrote:

Whats the cheapest method of backup?
Like per giga byte?
Do people still use tape drives these days?
And how much do they hold?

How archival does it need to be? Cheapest for small backups is
probably a CD burner but I'm not convinced they are that archival
but neither is a hard drive, probably even less so.

*checks a 4 year old CDR*

Works pretty good. Be careful about buying the REALLY cheap CDRs
though, sometimes the top foil part will start to crumble and flake,
especially if exposed to a variety of weather conditions (too hot,
too cold, too moist, too dry, etc, etc). And NEVER EVER put sticky
notes on them, cause later when you go to pull the sticky note
off...yeah the foil cover will probably come right off with it. And
they don't work without it so uh...yeah. The disks can be scratched
up pretty bad before they won't work. Hell I've even been able to
recover data off cracked disks before. o_O

Remember, the CDRs actually store 800mb, it's just that 100mb of that
is used for "error correction", which is why they'll still probably
work even when they get scratched real bad.

I've been going through my collection and I found some I burnt with my first
burner (Ricoh 2x) and my Pioneer reads them fine - they must be 95/96 so
that's 8-9 years old. I'll try them again in a decade or so! ;o)

Old April 25th 04, 11:10 PM
bearman

"half_pint" wrote in message

"bearman" wrote in message

"Dumpster" wrote in message
-----SNIP----

> [...]

boot drive and the clone in the computer at the same time on boot up

because
one of them will become unbootable. Does anyone know why this would be

so?

You can have one as a slave drive as I do, I assume the boot is
always from the master normally and you can't two masters.

All I would have to do is move the jumper from master to
slave and vice versa, although strictly speaking I should
swop the drive positions on the cable but if doesn't
seem to be a problem if I don't.

Acronis said I should use the floppy disk rescue set I made to boot into

DOS
and make the subsequent clones from there.

Sounds like a waste of time, just format the drive and copy the files
acrcoss (drag and drop),
You wll be fooked if you try to do it from dos, I know I tried.

I do have two masters, one on the primary channel and one on the secondary.

Bearman

Old April 26th 04, 01:57 AM
JT

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 16:10:43 -0600, "bearman" wrote:

Sounds like a waste of time, just format the drive and copy the files
acrcoss (drag and drop),
You wll be fooked if you try to do it from dos, I know I tried.

Bearman

I do have two masters, one on the primary channel and one on the secondary.

Bearman

Ignore the halfpints response. He doesn't know that there can be more than
one master in a system. He also doesn't know that drag and drop won't copy
hidden files, files in use, or the system registry, so critical information
will not be backed up using his method. He also doesn't know that most
cloning software runs best from DOS, even if it is copying an NTFS
partition. Your approach, with attention to what you are doing, works just
fine.

JT