Intermittent PC lock up

Old April 17th 04, 11:39 PM
CBFalconer

half_pint wrote:

I was just looking at capacitors and I found this quoye

" An F16 fighter for example, won't contain a single electrolytic
capacitor."
From.
http://slashdot.org/articles/02/11/0....shtml?tid=137

Please don't toppost. You might consider the reasons.
Electrolytics form a very thin film of dielectric, which is why
they can have high capacitance in small spaces. This is pressure
sensitive. F16s tend to operate in a wide variety of atmospheric
pressure.

--
Chuck F ) )
http://cbfalconer.home.att.net USE worldnet address!

Old April 18th 04, 01:04 AM
half_pint

"CBFalconer" wrote in message
half_pint wrote:

I was just looking at capacitors and I found this quoye

" An F16 fighter for example, won't contain a single electrolytic
capacitor."
From.
http://slashdot.org/articles/02/11/0....shtml?tid=137

Please don't toppost. You might consider the reasons.
Electrolytics form a very thin film of dielectric, which is why
they can have high capacitance in small spaces. This is pressure
sensitive. F16s tend to operate in a wide variety of atmospheric
pressure.

Well that maybe the reason then, I just assumed the reliability of such
capacitors was the deciding factor.

Presumably jumbo jets don't use them either? They fly at high altitude
but I suppose they are pressurised, well some of them (caps) will be
anyway.

Also cost is probably a consideration on an F16.

Old April 18th 04, 01:24 AM
w_tom

Did shop first verify DC voltages? Your failures are
classic of a power supply that is constantly outputting low DC
voltage or excessive ripple voltage. In that other thread
cited by half_pint are further details and a procedure.

In the meantime, intermittent hardware can run diagnostics
fine all day and night. But once that defective hardware runs
same diagnostics in a 100 degree F room or while selected
components are heated by a hairdryer on high, only then are
the defects located.

Meanwhile, I assume this is XP? Then what did system
(event) logs report?

BIOS should have no effect on your problem since BIOS is
supplemented by OS once system boots. If this is an NT based
OS, then list of hardware reasons for failure is sharply
diminished. In the meantime, you have three things to do:
voltage measurements, comprehensive diagnostics at elevated
temperature, and system log information.

Putim wrote:
This is my first post, I've had a lot of help from these forums before
and the guys who respond to them are brilliant and have saved me many
hours of headaches...thanks a million.

There is one problem however that I cannot solve...

I have an Athlon 1.4, 512SD Ram, 2 80Gb Hard Drives, Win2k Pro, and a
128mb Nvidia SE Graphics Card...

My PC is on 24/7, and runs fine when its left alone. In a morning I'll
go to play some music and it will lock up, leaving which ever note it
was playing repeating over and over...also, whilst watching Avi/Mpeg
or any other type of file...but sometimes, it will run for hours
playing CounterStrike or Mp3 then other times it only takes 10 minutes
to lock up and give out this crazy sound, to get going again I have to
power off the PC and reboot...

I have replaced the RAM, Hard Drive and Graphics Card (hence why I
have 512 and 2 seperate 80Gb Drives) I have also replaced the Heat
Sink (the PC runs at about 50 degrees, and system temp is about 45 I
think...)

I have also stripped the PC down and air dustered all the ports and
sockets...and after all this the problem seems to be worse...I cant
even watch a 20 minutes Avi file without a lock up (and the crazy
sustained sound of course...) I have the latest Virus updates and have
reformatted twice since the problem began..

The PC is current at a shop being looked at, and they have ran a
Hardware checker on it for the last 48 hours and only found one bad
cylinder one my C Drive..(which I dont believe to be the problem, as I
tried both drives on there own and it still locks up)...

If anyone kind enough to respond needs any more info please ask..

Please Help!!!!

Old April 18th 04, 09:09 AM
Onideus Mad Hatter

On 17 Apr 2004 12:43:16 -0700, (Putim) wrote:

Cheers Jim, I will ceWHACK

Look, maybe people over in the UK are just retarded but uh, STOP THE ****ING TOP POSTING! And if
you're too God damn stupid to know what top posting is, DON'T POST AT ALL! `, \

Second:

"I've loaded all BIOS settings Supervisor/Default etc.."

"I've just loaded Optimum settings...we'll see how it goes tonight..!!"

....stupid...REALLY ****ing stupid, on both accounts.

But hey, don't feel too bad:

"I've just got the PC back from the shop, they've run some Hardware
testing software on it for the last 48 hours, and only found one bad
sector on one drive...they said I've done everything they would have
and then charged me a tenner for it!!...never mind..."

You're not even CLOSE to being as stupid as the people you took the machine to, to get it looked
at. o_O

Okay, next, use some common sense!

Let's rule out the obvious:

Are all the lil fans inside moving? Yes? Then it's not any sort of heat problem, pay no attention
to that stupid ****in retard who was tellin you to go buy a heat sensor...*shakes head*...God damn
idiot overclocking gamers anyway, EVERY problem to them is a heat problem. *rolls eyes*

Next, WHEN is it freezing? When it's doing nothing? When you're doing something CPU/memory intense
(like watching a movie or playing a game)? To test it, turn on your machine, let it boot into
Windows, then leave the stupid lil ******* alone for a good 24/7, if it doesn't lock up, hey guess
what it's most likely a problem with either the memory or the CPU.

Now ya said you tried another HD in it and has the same problems, so we can mostly rule out the HD
(physical components anyway). But have you checked your system for viruses and spamware? Might
wanna consider reformatting and doing a clean install of JUST Windows. If you can't get it to crash
or freeze using one of the default proggies in Windows...yeah, probably it's some kind of viri or
spamware and you just keep reinfecting yourself with it.

As far as this bull**** about "leaky capacitors" and **** like that...no...NO! Okay, let me tell ya
right now, that ain't it. That's like you've got a bad cough, yer dumbass starts surfin WebMD and
the next day you go runnin into the doctor all freaked out screaming, "OMG WTF I'VE GOT TEH
PLAUGE!!1!" Essentially all your doing with that is blindly ****ing into the wind.

If you find it still freezes and so forth after a reformat and a clean install of JUST Windows, then
10 to 1 it's either gonna be a problem with the memory or the CPU or possibly some kind of system
resource conflict because idiot that you are, you have no idea what the **** you're messing with in
the BIOS. And boy lemme tell ya, if yer using WinXP and you're ****ing around with settings in the
BIOS and adding new parts, yeah, that's just gonna REALLY screw things up. Before you format your
drive you might wanna think about resetting the ESCD, cause if there's any kind of conflict that
gets created during the Windows installation, especially regarding memory addresses, yeah, guess
what, it's gonna make your machine **** up!

Oh, and if you ever go back to that repair shop again, tell them that the Mad Hatter thinks they
should give you back your ten dollars and then pay YOU for YOUR time that they wasted by not knowing
what in the **** they were even doing...running scandisk...holy sweet ****in baby Jesus...that's
like bringing your car into a repair shop cause it's not running and they change the ****in oil,
scratch their ass and tell you that's all the better they can do to try and figure out the problem.

--

Onideus Mad Hatter
mhm ¹ x ¹
Old April 18th 04, 12:34 PM
~misfit~

Onideus Mad Hatter wrote:
[...]

LOL. Your style is a welcome change Mr Hatter.
--
~misfit~ (One of those God damn idiot overclocking gamers) g

Old April 18th 04, 07:00 PM
w_tom

You want us to wander through reams of useless, previously
read material to find one new sentence? How shortsighted.
You were even taught in school that all past reference
material and bibliography go at end. Please show one
professional paper written foolishly as you recommend. Old
material at end so that, on a rare occasion, we can reference
what we already knew - what was previously read. We don't
need to read many previously read posts. We need the new
stuff first.

Top posters are clearly superior people. They are tolerant
of the foolish bottom posters - whose posts even make google
searches difficult. Top posters don't routinely criticize the
intolerant, bottom posters for making posts difficult to read,
to locate, and who are so immature as to criticize.

Normally I just ignore those farcical and insulting bottom
posts as unfortunately difficult to read. Tolerance of those
who would even bottom post. But your discourteous nature is
so pathetic as to even post four letter indecency. Criticism
of this intolerant bottom poster is justified and necessary.
Please learn to post with respect. Top post using only civil
words - or just remain quiet. If so intolerant, then stew in
your own juices. We need not hear your intolerant tirades.

Even more insulting is to wade through reams of old and
posted so many irrelevant four letter words. Typical response
of a few bottom posters.

Old April 18th 04, 08:08 PM
half_pint

Personally I prefer top posting, it has many advantages and it
makes posts easier to read.

And it is alo true that bottom posters are usually the ignorant
insulting bossy type.

I think their main problem is an inflexible mind due
probably to low intelligence low intelligence

It a real pain in google groups when I have to go back online
to read a post because the text is at the bottom and requires
an extra link to be clicked.

I guess if you have the attention span of goldfish top posting
might be a problem though.

Old April 18th 04, 08:19 PM
kony

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 14:00:58 -0400, w_tom wrote:

snip

Top posters are clearly superior people.

Oh no, not THIS topic again!