Quality black ATX case

Old November 22nd 03, 10:29 PM
SPS 700

The Lian Li PC-71 USB is a monster full tower. Very cool, very pricey. But
I'm leaning heavily towards it for two reasons. First, it has a 15 drive
capacity. Second, excellent cooling due to its aluminum construction. I

also
like the fact that the aluminum is anodized for greater strength, though
this is likely overkill.

Aluminum is not anodized for greater strength, it is anodized to prevent
corrosion, like painting steel. It adds nothing to strength.

Old November 23rd 03, 01:59 AM
Pack Fan

"SPS 700" wrote in message
The Lian Li PC-71 USB is a monster full tower. Very cool, very pricey.

But
I'm leaning heavily towards it for two reasons. First, it has a 15 drive
capacity. Second, excellent cooling due to its aluminum construction. I

also
like the fact that the aluminum is anodized for greater strength, though
this is likely overkill.

Aluminum is not anodized for greater strength, it is anodized to prevent
corrosion, like painting steel. It adds nothing to strength.

Actually, I've always assumed it did add strength just from my personal
experience with aluminum cookware. I have a Calphalon omelet pan. I hate it
because the damn eggs always stick to it. But it's clear to me that it's far
harder than the aluminum sauce pans I have. It never scratches where the
other ones do.

So I did a quick google search and found a bunch of references attesting to
the increased density and hardness of anodized aluminum.

I apologize for belaboring the point, but here are just two of a boatload of
references:

"Anodizing is a process which thickens the natural oxide film resulting in a
heavy aluminum oxide film of controlled thickness having the hardness
similar to that of a ruby or sapphire."

from
http://www.aacoa.com/anodizing/how.htm

and

Why Anodize?

High Corrosion Resistance
Decorative / Cosmetic Appearance
Insulator / Nonconductive
Stain Resistance
Increased Durability / Scratch Resistance

from
http://www.alphametal.com/anodizing.htm

Old November 23rd 03, 02:51 PM
Pack Fan

"jim evans" wrote in message
I did a quick google search and found a bunch of references
attesting to the increased density and hardness of anodized aluminum.

Anodizing hardens the surface increasing scratch resistance, but it
doesn't make the metal structurally stronger. All of your quotes
relate to surface effects.

"Anodizing is a process which thickens the natural oxide film resulting

in a
heavy aluminum oxide film of controlled thickness having the hardness
similar to that of a ruby or sapphire."
from
http://www.aacoa.com/anodizing/how.htm

The key word here is "film." It's a surface treatment.

and

Why Anodize?

High Corrosion Resistance
Decorative / Cosmetic Appearance
Insulator / Nonconductive
Stain Resistance
Increased Durability / Scratch Resistance

from
http://www.alphametal.com/anodizing.htm

All these are surface effects.

On thing that may be confusing you is there are difference hardnesses
and strengths of aluminum, similar to the different grades of steel.

World of the hair splitters here. I said "strength" because that's my
general assessment of one of the effects of anodizing. My observation
remains accurate, but now I have people telling me what I meant by
"strength" so that I can be characterized as "confused".

What's up with that?

Old November 23rd 03, 02:54 PM
Pack Fan

"jim evans" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 09:15:48 -0600, "Pack Fan" wrote:

"Dusty" wrote in message
news
Whereever you find one,make sure that it is not from Str8buy.com. They
are real rip-offs,do not back what they sell.Found out through bad
eperience!!!!
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 21:49:36 GMT, "feroce"
wrote:

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 06:46:36 +0000, @drian wrote:

Can anyone recommend a quality black case with 120mm fan mounts and
provisions to cool two fast hard drives? Full or mid tower is fine.

I've
tried the Antec Sonata but didn't like it as it didn't provide

sufficient
cooling for the hard drives.

Thanks.

@drian.

I have the Globalwin YCC-61F1 in black, extremely pleased with it.
Review he

http://www.gamershell.com/reviews_Gl...1ServerC.shtml

You can buy it he

http://www.computernerd.com/ycc-61f1.html

My Seagate drives rarely go more than 2 degrees C higher than room

temp...
can't ask for much more than that.

feroce

The Lian Li PC-71 USB is a monster full tower. Very cool, very pricey.

But
I'm leaning heavily towards it for two reasons. First, it has a 15 drive
capacity. Second, excellent cooling due to its aluminum construction. I

also
like the fact that the aluminum is anodized for greater strength, though
this is likely overkill.

http://www.lian-li.com/product.php?a...ewPD&prdid=375

From what I've read Lian Li makes good cases, but about all aluminum
does is make them lighter. Essentially all the cooling is done by
moving air. And, as someone pointed out anodizing is a surface
treatment to prevent the aluminum version of rusting. It doesn't
strengthen the metal.

Okay, now I see why you were hairsplitting. I read your later post before
this one.

Old November 23rd 03, 04:53 PM
Roger M

wrote:

[...]

From what I've read Lian Li makes good cases, but about all aluminum
does is make them lighter. Essentially all the cooling is done by
moving air. And, as someone pointed out anodizing is a surface
treatment to prevent the aluminum version of rusting. It doesn't
strengthen the metal.

Aluminum doesn't *rust* either.

Old November 23rd 03, 05:30 PM
Pack Fan

"jim evans" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 08:51:23 -0600, "Pack Fan" wrote:

"jim evans" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

OK. We'll leave it that you define scratch resistance as strength.

And you to define "heavy aluminum oxide film of controlled thickness having
the hardness
similar to that of a ruby or sapphire" as NOT strength.