Low cost web-cam monitoring software?

Old June 2nd 08, 12:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam
Steve Foley

Default Low cost web-cam monitoring software?

"daviddschool" wrote in message
Do I just type this into a cmd dialogue box?

No, you use the task scheduler (in the control panel)

Old June 2nd 08, 12:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam
kim

daviddschool wrote:
I have been testing out the conquercam and I can't seem to get it to
capture video at a schedule. It seems to capture an image, but for
some reason won't start capturing a video. I am also noting that when
capturing an image on my harddrive (I am not using this attached to a
ftp or the internet) that it directly copies over the old image on the
harddrive without renaming or renumbering it.

OK. For a local save, create or edit the current local save, but use one
of the premade file names. There is one that saves the images with a
filename that is date/time stamped. In other words the filename is in
the format .
How are you capturing video on a schedule? I am not using motion
capture, but instead just want the video to start recording at a
certain time and then stop at a certain time...

For a start off I have never had the need to capture video at a
predetermined schedule, but after a two or three minutes playing around
I have come up with this solution which works (worked so well in fact,
that I might end up having a use for it!!):
Create a new local schedule and set the 'Scope' of it to 'Motion
Detection'. Set the day(s) required and the start and stop times.
Under motion detection, set the sensitivity to zero, then set the
seconds to save to disk at whatever you want. EG If 8 hours then set it
to 28880 (60x60x8).
(Under Motion Detection Evidence, make sure the box marked 'Store
evidence by uploading image to..' is unchecked otherwise you will end up
with an image every second (date/time stamp file name) and the AVI file.)
When the schedule starts it will create an AVI file in the selected
folder from the start of the schedule until it stops. Be warned though
that you may have to think about the size of the video and the quality
as 8-10 hours will create a huge AVI file. My test file was 640x480 at a
high quality using a Logitech Pro 4000 and created a file of almost 37MB
for 27 seconds of video.
I will have a further play with this tomorrow as it may be able to be
refined a bit.
Old June 3rd 08, 08:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam
daviddschool

Kim,

That worked great! I didn't get the part about using the native file
names, but the video set up with the motion detection and timing
worked out well so far with the test I have done. The only issue I
have now is setting the sensitivity. I am not sure if both numbers
are supposed to be ZERO or not.
I am going to set it up for a week and see if it works with the
computer being turn on and off. I think I might need to have a way
for the Windows Scheduler to turn on the ConquerCam everyday at a
certain time and then the program will do the rest...

Old June 4th 08, 10:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam
kim

daviddschool wrote:
Kim,

That worked great! I didn't get the part about using the native file
names,

OK. After you have set up a new schedule and called it (for example)
'Local', then go into options and click on 'Uploading'. Select you new
schedule from the drop down list and then click on the 'Edit' button
underneath it....this is the middle button. Under the 'General' tab
there is a box for the file save location. Note that Conquercam will not
create the folder so you must first make it before trying to select it!
Underneath that there is a box for the filename. click on the icon next
to it (looks like a piece of paper with a pencil) and a box wil open
showing you the premade 'patterns' list. Select one of those. The first
one is:
This is the one that saves the images with filename that is the
date/time stamp. Also note that Conquercam uses 'nn' for minutes as 'mm'
is already in use for the month names/numbers.
As an example, the above 'pattern' would save an image as
'. The next saved image would have the time (190522)
incremented by whatever the interval is.
You can also make your own 'pattern' if none of them suit you by using
the conventions listed in the help file.
but the video set up with the motion detection and timing
worked out well so far with the test I have done. The only issue I
have now is setting the sensitivity. I am not sure if both numbers
are supposed to be ZERO or not.

You only need to set the first number to zero. Just leave the other one
at 100. All it means is that it requires zero detected movement to
activate it....in other words it is always activated and recording as
long as the schedule is running.
I am going to set it up for a week and see if it works with the
computer being turn on and off. I think I might need to have a way
for the Windows Scheduler to turn on the ConquerCam everyday at a
certain time and then the program will do the rest...

A simple way to do it is to put Conquercam in Windows start up menu.
That way it will run on start up and then the schedule will activate it
at the proper time.
One thing I forgot to mention was that if you need it to monitor at
different times on certain days...IE 8AM-5PM Mon to Thu, but only 8AM to
3PM on Fridays, then you will need to create a different schedule for
those days when the times are different. They will run automatically on
the appropriate days.
Good luck and let me know how you go.
Old June 4th 08, 09:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam
daviddschool

I have created two schedules for Wedneday - calling it wed 1 and wed
2. But when I go to the uploading section, it does not list those
names.

Now, a question - when I create the schedules, are they supposed to be
ftp/upload or motion detection?

OK. After you have set up a new schedule and called it (for example)
'Local', then go into options and click on 'Uploading'. Select you new
schedule from the drop down list and then click on the 'Edit' button
underneath it....this is the middle button. Under the 'General' tab
there is a box for the file save location. Note that Conquercam will not
create the folder so you must first make it before trying to select it!
Underneath that there is a box for the filename. click on the icon next
to it (looks like a piece of paper with a pencil) and a box wil open
showing you the premade 'patterns' list. Select one of those. The first
one is:

Ok, I have seen this and tried it.

You only need to set the first number to zero. Just leave the other one
at 100. All it means is that it requires zero detected movement to
activate it....in other words it is always activated and recording as
long as the schedule is running. I am going to set it up for a week and see if it works with the
computer being turn on and off. I think I might need to have a way
for the Windows Scheduler to turn on the ConquerCam everyday at a
certain time and then the program will do the rest...

I notice at the bottom of my screen in the info bar it always says "No
Active Schedules" even though there are several. Do you know why?

A simple way to do it is to put Conquercam in Windows start up menu.
That way it will run on start up and then the schedule will activate it
at the proper time.

I am going to try that, thanks.

One thing I forgot to mention was that if you need it to monitor at
different times on certain days...IE 8AM-5PM Mon to Thu, but only 8AM to
3PM on Fridays, then you will need to create a different schedule for
those days when the times are different. They will run automatically on
the appropriate days.

I am presently trying the above and nothing is happening. The files
are not being save in the location I have specified, I must be doing
something wrong here.
I don't really want still images, just the videos.

Good luck and let me know how you go.

Old June 4th 08, 10:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam
daviddschool

Ok,
I have tested out these things to the best of my ability and I am
still finding that it is creating a video files (which is good), but
copying over the same video file each time it saves - when I use the
date stamps, it only creates jpg images and not the video. Is there a
way around this or did I miss something?
Old June 5th 08, 11:24 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam
kim

daviddschool wrote:
Ok,
I have tested out these things to the best of my ability and I am
still finding that it is creating a video files (which is good), but
copying over the same video file each time it saves - when I use the
date stamps, it only creates jpg images and not the video. Is there a
way around this or did I miss something?

Nope. You didn't miss anything and yes, there is a way around this...or
so I have just discovered!! Funny isn't it? I have been using this
program for 4 years and still can find something new (or at least,
something I didn't know you could do!)
OK. To get around the program overwriting the video file all you have to
do is give a few tags in the file name that you wish to save the AVI as.
For example, if you want to save it as 'Monitoring.avi' but need to keep
a weeks files then set up your save name as monitoring{dd}{mm}{yy}.avi
This will produce a filename (using todays date) of 'monitoring050608.avi'.
The next day it will produce 'filename060608.avi'. You can of course not
use the {yy} tag unless you want the year.
If you are in the US where you write dates funny (!) by having the month
before the day, then use 'filename{mm}{dd}{yy}.avi'. If you are going to
stop the monitoring during the day and restart it at a later hour, you
may wish to include the tags for the hour as well. A full list of the
tags supported by Conquercam are available in the help file. Click on
the plus sign next to 'Feature Details' and then on 'Caption & File
based Tags'
KIM
Old June 5th 08, 10:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam
daviddschool

Ok great, Kim you are a star. I am picking up some things myself. It
looks like the motion detection for video will only go 16 min.25 sec
per video. The schedule will continue running, but the video files
are truncated. So, in a scheduled hour, it gave me 4 videos, 16min,
16min, 16min and 10 minutes (approx) to make up the hour - not the end
of the world. I am waiting for another scheduled hour to work and
then trying it on startup. Sometimes, it needs my logitech cam to be
started before the Conquercam can work. I am tyring to fix that.

Old June 6th 08, 12:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam
kim

daviddschool wrote:
Ok great, Kim you are a star. I am picking up some things myself. It
looks like the motion detection for video will only go 16 min.25 sec
per video. The schedule will continue running, but the video files
are truncated. So, in a scheduled hour, it gave me 4 videos, 16min,
16min, 16min and 10 minutes (approx) to make up the hour - not the end
of the world. I am waiting for another scheduled hour to work and
then trying it on startup. Sometimes, it needs my logitech cam to be
started before the Conquercam can work. I am tyring to fix that.

OK. There is a reason for the 10 minute limitation. Go to the Options
menu, click on 'Motion Detection', then click on 'Evidence'. Underneath
the box that asks what file name you want to save the AVI file as, you
will see another item....'Seconds stored in file'. The default for that
is 999. That equates to 16.65 minutes. So, 3x16 minutes plus 10 minutes
equals 59.95 minutes...that's close enough to an hour! :-)
For an hour, change it to 3600 (60x60). That should fix your problem and
only give you one AVI per hour. When you think about, that may be a good
idea if, for instance, you were also storing the JPG date/time stamped
images every second. If you 'saw' something in a small sequence of
images, then you would have a fairly good idea where to look for it in
the appropriate AVI file. You could also take it further by breaking
down the AVIs into separate 15 or 30 minute files by substituting the
value in the 'Seconds stored...' box.
Kim
Old June 6th 08, 07:20 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam
daviddschool

When I type in anything more then 999 - it reverts back to 999 so I
thought that might have been the limit. Thanks for all your help, it
is a real eye-opener and makes this a lot more fun then it was when I
was floundering!

I am going to try and get this uploaded next. Have you had any
experience with this? I might want the client to see the images live
as well as saving to the hard drive, if at all possible...