RAID1 - what happens if your motherboard RAID controller dies?

Old June 14th 08, 09:30 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
bbbl67

Default RAID1 - what happens if your motherboard RAID controller dies?

On Jun 2, 2:59 pm, "Squeeze" wrote:
Says Yousuf Khan, comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage kOOk of the year Award nominee.

Squeeze, I know you enjoy proudly showing off your generally low IQ,
but why lash out at the world due to your father ass-raping you as a
kid? Aren't there other ways of dealing with your sad predicament?
Counseling, anti-depressants, etc.?

motherboard RAID is not really "hardware RAID".
It still uses the system processor to do the RAIDing.
The software just exists inside the BIOS

Gee, maybe because that is what BIOS means?

Gee, mongoloid-boy, you've read something about this BIOS, and now
you're showing off to the world that you know what it means? I'm so
proud for you, everybody needs hope.

as opposed to inside a Windows device driver,

Like that doesn't use the system processor.

Now, now, Squeeze, it's time for some reading comprehension studies,
you've made so much progress otherwise. I have said Windows and BIOS
make use of the central processor.

Or the driver just uses some of the 32-bit routines supplied by the bios
and not know of any array structures, very similar to hardware assisted
RAID.

No, not a chance! The Windows drivers would never make use of routines
inside the BIOS, as the BIOS routines are written for the Real Mode of
the processor, whereas Windows operates in Protected Mode. Real Mode
routines will never work once the processor enters Protected Mode.
Windows device drivers are basically translations of the BIOS routines
from Real Mode to Protected Mode. The BIOS will pass some data
structures stored in memory off to the Windows device drivers, but
once those structures have been passed, the BIOS is ignored and
essentially shut down, while the Windows device drivers take over all
of the hardware I/O.

No difference there, whether single drive, firmware RAID
or Hardware assisted RAID.

Listen homo erectus, who can take you seriously, if you don't even
know the difference between hardware raid and firmware raid?

Go get educated first, or stop coming here, we don't need your idiotic
rants here.

Yousuf Khan
Old June 15th 08, 09:21 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
kony

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 17:55:29 -0400, "Dan"
wrote:

No, not a chance! The Windows drivers would never make use of routines
inside the BIOS, as the BIOS routines are written for the Real Mode of
the processor, whereas Windows operates in Protected Mode. Real Mode
routines will never work once the processor enters Protected Mode.
Windows device drivers are basically translations of the BIOS routines
from Real Mode to Protected Mode. The BIOS will pass some data
structures stored in memory off to the Windows device drivers, but
once those structures have been passed, the BIOS is ignored and
essentially shut down, while the Windows device drivers take over all
of the hardware I/O.

I posted earlier about deleting Raid.. I will have no problem with
reinstalling the os then Right? The Bios will allow acces to the dvd drive.
even though I have a clean system.? I know it is a stupid question, but I
always wondered when someone built a computer how they ever get to load the
driver for the External drives to install the OS?

Dan

BIOS provides boot functionality for several types of
devices, ATAPI and SATA optical drives being two of them, as
well as other SCSI-like add in cards where the control is
handed off to those.

This means on any system for several years time you have the
ability to boot from an optical drive, and the windows CD
follows a bootable disc spec for that. The booted windows
installation cd runs as designs and takes it from there.

After deleting the array you just have to have already
decided if you were going to install to a single drive that
was formerly in the array, if you were wanting to set up a
new array (which you may need to do BEFORE booting and
installing windows to the array) by defining it in the raid
controller bios menu (separate bios module, usually accessed
by a keystroke after main bios module has finished running
at boot-time), or if you instead wanted to install to some
other drive.
Old June 15th 08, 09:25 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
kony

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 13:30:28 -0700 (PDT), bbbl67
wrote:

On Jun 2, 2:59 pm, "Squeeze" wrote:
Says Yousuf Khan, comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage kOOk of the year Award nominee.

Squeeze, I know you enjoy proudly showing off your generally low IQ,
but why lash out at the world due to your father ass-raping you as a
kid?

Squeeze may not be a well behaved boy, but did we really
need to know that you sit around thinking about men
ass-raping boys?
Old June 19th 08, 09:33 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yousuf Khan

Dan wrote:
I posted earlier about deleting Raid.. I will have no problem with
reinstalling the os then Right? The Bios will allow acces to the dvd drive.
even though I have a clean system.? I know it is a stupid question, but I
always wondered when someone built a computer how they ever get to load the
driver for the External drives to install the OS?

As others have said, the BIOS provides support for booting up off of
several different kinds of drives. Most will provide support for
IDE/SATA drives, as well CD/DVD-ROM drives, as well as USB-based drives
(memory sticks and hard disks). Some very specialized BIOSes will
provide RAID drive support too.
Old June 20th 08, 12:29 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly

On Jun 19, 4:33 pm, Yousuf Khan wrote:
Dan wrote:
I posted earlier about deleting Raid.. I will have no problem with
reinstalling the os then Right? The Bios will allow acces to the dvd drive.
even though I have a clean system.? I know it is a stupid question, but I
always wondered when someone built a computer how they ever get to load the
driver for the External drives to install the OS?

As others have said, the BIOS provides support for booting up off of
several different kinds of drives. Most will provide support for
IDE/SATA drives, as well CD/DVD-ROM drives, as well as USB-based drives
(memory sticks and hard disks). Some very specialized BIOSes will
provide RAID drive support too.

The cheap way is PCI support -- a couple SILICON Image 680 series
chipsets for $15 ea. delivered. Promise, KOUMTEC (sp?), ROSEWILL,
etc., whavetever your poison. Although I'm not much of a raiders fan,
and and after the option to variously run multiple HDs/DVDs, it's with
'most' DVDs there occurs something of a problem. Bus latency,
firmware, I'm not exactly sure the solution, per se -- but buying
either a PCI Serial/Parallel ATA raid/non-raid board these days, most
"imply" if not stipulate DVD channel support -- is a misnomer from
what I'm seeing. Many optical devices will balk at loading or
subsequently misfunction. I've a couple of LG DVD writers I've been
fighting a losing battle with a couple MBs and various controller (MB
+PCI) configs, and after going through discussions, I can say I'm not
the only one. Though NON-RAID appears a suggested optical
alternative, I wouldn't stake a DVD on either for surety. DVD -
issues- are a little more than just the occasional experience with
these new "subset and
cut-&-dry mini MBs" with a spare PCI slot or two, three at most.
Old June 20th 08, 07:07 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
kony

Dan wrote:
[...]

Typically with a RAID card, to support ATAPI (optical
drives) it needs to either support that with a jumper change
to non-RAID mode (no raid for anything attached) or have a
non-RAID firmware flashed to it.

Some cards, including many of the Silicon Image 0680 cards,
have a spot on the PCB for non-raid jumper, but some (most?)
have a jumper wire soldered there instead of the proper pin
header to allow jumper changes.