Wireless dial-up device?

Old October 14th 03, 02:36 PM
Gary Tait

Whereas On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:52:04 GMT, AJ
scribbled:
, I thus relpy:

All Apple Airports have 56k modems built in. They are on ebay starting
at about $60.

...and I have a PC, how does that help?

@drian.

Apple Airport is a wireless AP that works on all platforms.
------------
When your PC gives a little they give a lot.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/disco

Correct me if I am wrong, but you need a Mac to configure it.
--
Gary J. Tait . Email is at yahoo.com ; ID:classicsat
Old October 14th 03, 06:00 PM
AJ

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 09:36:22 -0400, Gary Tait wrote:

Whereas On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:52:04 GMT, AJ
scribbled:
, I thus relpy:

All Apple Airports have 56k modems built in. They are on ebay starting
at about $60.

...and I have a PC, how does that help?

@drian.

Apple Airport is a wireless AP that works on all platforms.
------------
When your PC gives a little they give a lot.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/disco

..................., but you need a Mac to configure it.

No or I would not have recomended it to a PC user.

Apple Airport $100-$299 31.6 mW (15dBm) None, DIY Ant. Mod.
(Airport 1.0) Airport 2.0) 1xLucent DHCP/NAT/Bridge 1x10bT,56K
Windows/Apple/SNMP Flash upgradable to... AppleAirport yes
http://www.seattlewireless.net/index...wareComparison
------------
Old October 15th 03, 06:29 AM
Phrederick

"@drian" wrote in message
Yes, the only problem is that it's out of production already. There
may still be some available somewhere, but I don't know.

Ach, I didn't know that. I've e-mailed D-Link to ask them if they have

such
a product, i.e. new product. I e-mailed Linksys but they bluntly told me
"No, we don't have any products, run your wire"?! Mega helpful they were.
Still waiting to hear back from SMC and USR.

I *STILL* don't understand...

Why is it so hard to have the phone company (or someone you know) come out
and wire up a phone jack where you need it?

It will work better than any gadget you buy for $100.

Old October 23rd 03, 09:16 AM
@drian

"Phrederick" wrote in message
I *STILL* don't understand...

Why is it so hard to have the phone company (or someone you know) come out
and wire up a phone jack where you need it?

Because the building I'm in now won't allow the phone company to rip a hole
in the wall.

It will work better than any gadget you buy for $100.

Probably, but it's not an option.

@drian.

Old October 23rd 03, 04:35 PM
Phrederick

"@drian" wrote in message
"Phrederick" wrote in message
I *STILL* don't understand...

Why is it so hard to have the phone company (or someone you know) come

out
and wire up a phone jack where you need it?

Because the building I'm in now won't allow the phone company to rip a

hole
in the wall.

The phone company won't snake a wire along the baseboard and up the stairs,
etc. from an existing jack? It doesn't have to be permanent. I've done it
myself for under $20.

It will work better than any gadget you buy for $100.

Probably, but it's not an option.

Just trying to save some money and get the best connection possible.

Old October 29th 03, 05:27 AM
@drian

The phone company won't snake a wire along the baseboard and up the

stairs,
etc. from an existing jack? It doesn't have to be permanent. I've done it
myself for under $20.

One rep. I spoke to at the phone company told me they wouldn't do it. Then
another I spoke to told me they'd charge $60 to do it.

It will work better than any gadget you buy for $100.

Probably, but it's not an option.

Just trying to save some money and get the best connection possible.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice.

@drian.