Wireless dial-up device?

Old October 12th 03, 04:35 AM
@drian

Default Wireless dial-up device?

Hello,

Instead of running a 40 foot telephone cable from the socket on the wall to
the back of my dial-up modem, and running it around the skirting board on
the floor, is there a wireless device available that can cut out the cable?

Maybe something that transmits the signal to an ethernet adapter on my PC?
Naturally, using a cable modem, a person could use a wireless router
connected to the cable modem, but I wondered if such a thing exists for a
dial-up modem.

Thanks.

@drian.

Old October 12th 03, 04:45 AM
FuzionMan

Hmm, well I never seen one before, but someone else may have.

One thing I can think off is just use a regular PC connected to the phone
line, use its dial up connection and use the Windows ICS internet connection
sharing software through the wireless router and out to your laptop's
wireless Ethernet card...

In the future when you subscribe to broadband, youwill already have the
equipment...

This is only an idea!

Jason

Old October 12th 03, 04:50 AM
kony

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 03:35:07 GMT, "@drian" wrote:

Hello,

Instead of running a 40 foot telephone cable from the socket on the wall to
the back of my dial-up modem, and running it around the skirting board on
the floor, is there a wireless device available that can cut out the cable?

Maybe something that transmits the signal to an ethernet adapter on my PC?
Naturally, using a cable modem, a person could use a wireless router
connected to the cable modem, but I wondered if such a thing exists for a
dial-up modem.

The following plus an external dial-up modem would be the closest to
the configuration you mentioned for a cable modem.

http://support.dlink.com/products/vi...oductid=DI-714

Dave

Old October 12th 03, 01:17 PM
AJ

Hello,

Instead of running a 40 foot telephone cable from the socket on the wall to
the back of my dial-up modem, and running it around the skirting board on
the floor, is there a wireless device available that can cut out the cable?

Maybe something that transmits the signal to an ethernet adapter on my PC?
Naturally, using a cable modem, a person could use a wireless router
connected to the cable modem, but I wondered if such a thing exists for a
dial-up modem.

Thanks.

@drian.

All Apple Airports have 56k modems built in. They are on ebay starting
at about $60.
------------
When your PC gives a little they give a lot.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/disco
Old October 12th 03, 06:06 PM
Robotnik

I've seen some wireless phone devices made by.... I beleive it is RCA. I
have a non-working pair.... but basically how it works.... you plug it into
your standard outlet....run a phone cable to it from the wall jack. Then
with the other one, plug it in to another standard power oulet, and run a
phone cable from it to your device (phone, modem, answering machine, et
cetera). They just transmit and receive wirelessly (not through the power
outlets) and I"m not sure of the type of signal.

I can't right off the top of my head remember what the actual name is....but
even my grand parents have one attached to their sattelite TV box....for
ordering shows I guess.

Old October 12th 03, 07:40 PM
Martin

"@drian" wrote in message
Hello,

Instead of running a 40 foot telephone cable from the socket on the wall

the back of my dial-up modem, and running it around the skirting board on
the floor, is there a wireless device available that can cut out the

cable?

Maybe something that transmits the signal to an ethernet adapter on my PC?
Naturally, using a cable modem, a person could use a wireless router
connected to the cable modem, but I wondered if such a thing exists for a
dial-up modem.

Thanks.

@drian.

I saw some device like this adverstised but can't remember where.

One thing i do remember however was that this wireless telephone extension
limited your dial-up speed to 33,600 instead of a possible 56,000.

Martin.

Old October 12th 03, 08:12 PM
AJ

"@drian" wrote in message
Hello,

Instead of running a 40 foot telephone cable from the socket on the wall

the back of my dial-up modem, and running it around the skirting board on
the floor, is there a wireless device available that can cut out the

cable?

Maybe something that transmits the signal to an ethernet adapter on my PC?
Naturally, using a cable modem, a person could use a wireless router
connected to the cable modem, but I wondered if such a thing exists for a
dial-up modem.

Thanks.

@drian.

I saw some device like this adverstised but can't remember where.

One thing i do remember however was that this wireless telephone extension
limited your dial-up speed to 33,600 instead of a possible 56,000.

Martin.

Yes, you can get remote wireless phone jacks at Radio Shack. They are
really made for voice and often have trouble with data. Slow and might
disconnect a lot depending on the brand of modem in the PC.

------------
Old October 13th 03, 02:01 AM

There's a device called the Actointech Dual PC modem. It connects to the
phone line and a wireless access point can be connected to its ethernet
port. It costs $70 plus you need to pick up a wireless access point and, of
course, a wireless card for your notebook.

It was reviewed in a special wireless issue of PC mag Fall 2003 issue.

Old October 13th 03, 07:23 PM
@drian

"kony" wrote in message
The following plus an external dial-up modem would be the closest to
the configuration you mentioned for a cable modem.

http://support.dlink.com/products/vi...oductid=DI-714

This looks promising!

Thanks.

@drian.

Old October 13th 03, 07:24 PM
@drian

All Apple Airports have 56k modems built in. They are on ebay starting
at about $60.

....and I have a PC, how does that help?

@drian.