Internal -vs- External modem

Old September 1st 03, 08:51 PM
William

Hey there.

I have used both internal and external modems. I need to move a modem
around between computers often so I went with the external modems. The
internal modems I did use were great. I have not used newer internal
modems on the market today, but I figure if you figure in the future that
you will move your modem around alot, just go external. Also, with the
external modem, if you don't have proper phone line protection, it'll
destroy your modem and computer during storms. I'm not sure of the
chances of a surge destroying your computer over the serial connection
with an external modem, but it'd be minimal. Have fun in your quest.
Old September 2nd 03, 01:34 AM
Peter Ives

In article , Conor
writes
In article ,
says...
I'm considering a USR V.92 56K modem (no jokes, please!). They have
two versions, a "Performance Pro" internal version and a regular
external version requiring the serial cable. In the past I usually
steer to an external device for minimal setup problems (used to have
problems with internal modems), however, I would like to entertain the
internal version due to less cables (no PSU & serial cables).

Has anyone tried the internal version (Performance Pro) of this modem?
Just wondering how successful or not the setup was.

USR kit is fairly safe both external and niternal. Sure it'll use an
IRQ and some CPU cycles but a 2GHz computer isn't going to notice.

At the end of the day I still go for external serial port ones. Why?
Because if the driver disk is fried I can still use it. I can use it in
any OS (such as Linux) without issues. If the modem hangs I can turn it
off without rebooting the PC. If lightning strikes and my Surge
protector isn't as good as the adverts then my modem will sacrifice
itself for the good of the PC.

This has happened to me. A lightning strike killed my modem, but the
computer was fine.

One other thing. I don't know if I'm being overly paranoid, but I also
like the idea that no hidden software is going to be able to get my
external modem, which is switched off when not in use, to dial out an
any time.
--
Peter Ives
Remove ALL_STRESS only before sending me an email
Old September 2nd 03, 01:42 AM
@drian

COM1-COM4 you should be able to boot a DOS diskette with a terminal
emulator on it and read Usenet even if the real OS is fried. I used
to do this all the time. (I've never set up a DOS device on modern
box that does interupt sharing it should emulate classic IRQs until
XP/Linux takes over.)

So you could boot to DOS and do that with a PCI modem? Interesting.

I said _probably_. about running PCI modems in DOS.

....and I said "could". :-)

Current software modem drivers are much much better than they used to
be. I've recently supported hundreds of users with laptops. They
were very heavy dialup users and I have to say that the internal
software modems on those machines were never a problem.

Surely the internal modem I looked at and the one you linked, is a hardware
modem? It does say it's controller-based.

USR is a first rate company, with once qualification; Get a retail
modem, not OEM. It's been a few years since I worked with these but
ISTR that USR wouldn't provide end-user support and upgrades for OEM
models.

Absolutely, agree 100%. I always buy retail in that sense. I only buy OEM
when it comes to software.

Thanks.

@drian.

Old September 2nd 03, 01:45 AM
@drian

"Peter Ives" wrote in message
o.uk...
This has happened to me. A lightning strike killed my modem, but the
computer was fine.

One other thing. I don't know if I'm being overly paranoid, but I also
like the idea that no hidden software is going to be able to get my
external modem, which is switched off when not in use, to dial out an
any time.

Actually, I have had a modem that was dead for what appeared to be no
reason. A lightening strike was to blame but the thing wasn't black or
melted or anything. All good points. It looks like the external version
has some merit.

@drian.

Old September 2nd 03, 01:46 AM
@drian

What's the performance like with internal -vs- external modems? Is it a
myth that internal modems are slightly faster than external ones?

@drian.

Old September 2nd 03, 06:27 PM
@drian

Yes, I'm not basing my decision on a lightening strike alone! I do have the
phone line going into a Belkin surge protector anyway. The main item for me
is will I experience difficulties with an internal modem? But as I said
somewhere else, I do like to see the status lights and being able to switch
off and on the modem by hand...

Thanks.

@drian.

Old September 2nd 03, 06:35 PM
V W Wall

"@drian" wrote:

Yes, I'm not basing my decision on a lightening strike alone! I do have the
phone line going into a Belkin surge protector anyway. The main item for me
is will I experience difficulties with an internal modem? But as I said
somewhere else, I do like to see the status lights and being able to switch
off and on the modem by hand...

3Com(USRobotics) did make a program called "Modem Monitor", that put the
status lights as well as send and receive speed indication right on your
monitor. I have it, and use their Model 5610 internal PCI modem. It works
fine and consistantly gives me ~ 46K connections on a standard phone line.

It also has a "hang up" button on the Modem Monitor.

Virg Wall
--
A foolish consistency is the
hobgoblin of little minds,........
Old September 3rd 03, 03:33 AM
William

Hehe, modems are only as fast as their baud rate on the serial lines. Not
to mention the quality of your phone link to the exchange box. I had a
winmodem back in the day and I didn't do many stats with the thing. All I
wanted was a modem that didn't require windows. So I got a US RObotics
V.Everything external modem. Works about the same if you ask me, the only
difference is I can move it to my router in the other room and connect to
my dialup ISP for a backup route to the internet that doesn't run windows.
Old September 3rd 03, 04:03 AM
w_tom

Those are simply wrong reason to compare internal verse
external. Modems are damaged because they are in a path from
cloud to ground. They must have two paths - one incoming and
the other outgoing. Outgoing is easy since phone lines
already have 'whole house' protectors installed free by telco
and connected to earth ground. Incoming path is typically the
AC electric - wire highest on pole, most often struck, and
that can enter house without any earthed protection.

Makes no difference between internal or external. If surge
protection is important, then the homeowner must install a
'whole house' protector on AC electric with the all so
necessary connection to earth ground. What does lightning
seek? Earth ground.

This is summarizes in another newsgroup discussion:
"Opinions on Surge Protectors?" on 7 Jul 2003 in the
newsgroup alt.certification.a-plus or
http://tinyurl.com/l3m9

Lets say the incoming path to modem is via computer
motherboard. Why then were all other motherboard ICs also not
damaged? They connected to the incoming path - AC electric
(yes all computer ICs have a direct connection to an AC
wire). But those IC did not have an outgoing path. Without
both paths, damage could not occur. But modems and portable
phone base stations have both paths - and are easily damaged.
Protection is always about earthing the surge before it can
enter a building - and not with internal verses external
modems.

Old September 3rd 03, 07:55 AM
@drian

Oh I see. I thought that without the serial cable, the internal modem would
be slightly faster. That's probably a myth as well though. I did have an
external modem a while back and it was plenty fast enough. The portability
angle isn't something I need to worry about, although I may try Linux again
soon...

Thanks!

@drian.

On the brink of madness... I.C. Koets General 18 January 31st 05 10:49 PM
Updrade PC Guy Smith General 22 August 15th 04 01:57 AM
Dial up modem problem Richard Freeman General 21 September 22nd 03 05:50 AM
Internal -vs- External modem @drian General 25 September 9th 03 03:38 PM
cant install internal modem - help mr_chips Homebuilt PC's 4 June 24th 03 11:20 PM