Is the CPU too hot?

Old March 24th 07, 07:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

Default Is the CPU too hot?

On 23 Mar 2007 09:43:30 -0700,
wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I got the system custom-built from a computer
shop. Its been about 7 months since I got it.

What case? Is that case's ventilation system mostly
obsttructed by grills made of mostly blocking, stamped-out
holes in the case wall?

What temps were the system when new?
I'm wondering if the temps have risen, you dont quite say
why you now wonder about them.

Since I have a see-
through case, I checked the inside and the CPU fan. There is barely
any dust. This is the current status of the fans:

Power Supply Fan: OK
GPU Fan: OK
CPU Fan (stock Intel): OK
Chassis Fan: OK

I felt the air that was coming out of the chassis fan and it was just
barely more than room temperature (around 25C, I estimated) I think
its always been this hot, I just noticed it now. Do you think I should
use a different utility to check the temperature? By the way, I
checked the motherboard temprature too. No matter what i do, the
motherboard temperature is always 40C - 42C, and I also checked the
RPM for the CPU fan, it always varies from 4000RPM - 4150RPM.

take the case side-panel off, point a desk fan at it and see
if it reduce temps much. If only a small single-digit # of
degrees, you probably need to replace or at least remount
(with fresh thermal compound, after cleaning off the
original) the heatsink. If temps change more than that, you
may have dust in the case intake or exhaust areas or need
better case cooling - but we can't be sure of this since it
would depend on what has changed since it was new, but your
reported temps are an indication it has poor cooling.

Compare the temp report you see to the one in the bios
health/hardware monitor page. Sometimes a bios update may
fine-tune these temps more, you might check Asus website for
such a bios and notes describing whether there is any such
problem with reported temps or at least an improvement in
accuracy of reporting.
Old March 25th 07, 12:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Mar 24, 12:18 pm, kony wrote:
On 23 Mar 2007 09:43:30 -0700,
wrote:

[...]

I dont know the temps when new. I just noticed the temperatures in
ASUS PC probe now. The case has ventilation holes on the rear and a
fan exhaust (about a 3 inch diameter hole with a small wire mesh
covering it) on one side of the case. i have not had any problems with
performance except for a lock-up about once in 3 months when doing
processor intensive tasks, even though pc probe occasionally warns
about high temperatures. i have noticed something though. Before from
when I got the sytem to 3 months ago there was a sound of something (i
am assuming its a fan) that revved up and down. Now, the fan noise is
consistent and stays the same. Maybe, just maybe the system was a bit
louder before. Do you think it is possible to make the fans run at
full capacity without any damage to the system?

Old March 25th 07, 05:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Mar 25, 4:19 am, kony wrote:
On 24 Mar 2007 17:56:09 -0700,
wrote:

Do you think it is possible to make the fans run at
full capacity without any damage to the system?

Yes, though if they're poor quality fans it is possible that
might reduce their lifespan below that of the rest of the
system's (viable) lifespan so replacement might be required
some futureyear (interval depending on how good the fans
are).

The fan control is either in the bios or a software you are
running.

If the system keeps running at these temperatures, how long do you
think the cpu will last?

Old March 25th 07, 06:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Mar 25, 10:16 am, kony wrote:
On 25 Mar 2007 09:55:11 -0700,
wrote:

On Mar 25, 4:19 am, kony wrote:
On 24 Mar 2007 17:56:09 -0700,
wrote:

Do you think it is possible to make the fans run at
full capacity without any damage to the system?

Yes, though if they're poor quality fans it is possible that
might reduce their lifespan below that of the rest of the
system's (viable) lifespan so replacement might be required
some futureyear (interval depending on how good the fans
are).

The fan control is either in the bios or a software you are
running.

If the system keeps running at these temperatures, how long do you
think the cpu will last?

I don't know, probably 8 years would be a guess but it isn't
the important factor. The important factor is why it is
running hot, and if that is due to poor system cooling. IF
that is the fault, it will kill OTHER parts far sooner than
the CPU.

You should run Prime95. large in-place FFTs stress test for
a long time to be sure it remains stable.

thanks for everything. What I am most suspicious of is if the numbers
on PC PROBE are wrong. ASUS Motherboard monitoring programs have a
tendency to report the temperature 10-20 degrees more that the actual
temperature as said in the forum links posted previously. Is there an
accurate program (that doesnt have the power to alter fan settings ro
anything) that I can use to monitor the temperatures? Isn't 45C an
unusual temperature when starting up the computer after being left of
for atleast 10 hours?

Old March 25th 07, 08:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Mar 25, 10:44 am, wrote:
On Mar 25, 10:16 am, kony wrote:

On 25 Mar 2007 09:55:11 -0700,
wrote:

On Mar 25, 4:19 am, kony wrote:
On 24 Mar 2007 17:56:09 -0700,
wrote:

[...]

I have more details. I found out that these are the fan controls in
PC Probe:

Enabled Sensor Name Current Value
Threshold

Yes CPU
4115 1000 RPM
No CHASSIS
0 1000 RPM
No POWER
0 1000 RPM

Is this how its supposed to be? Are the CHASSIS and POWER supposed to
be enabled?