metal cases

Old August 22nd 06, 01:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Strunk White

Default metal cases

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 10:26:17 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

Oh no! Rod disagrees!

Pathetic, really. ====================

Pity you don't actually look at the drive, look at the case,

Done that more times than you have had hot breakfasts, child. ====================

or notice that for the metal to bend that
much it'd have permanent creases in it.

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that you have
never ever had a ****ing clue about anything at all, ever.

Maybe your cases are built like tin-foil. That'd come closer
to doing what you suggest but mine are a wee bit to thick.

We've already covered this topic Rod,

Yep, you got done like a dinner, as always.

don't be a sore loser.

Never ever could bull**** its way out of a wet paper bag. ====================

Never could explain how the metal drive bay stack ends
up at the same temp as the adjacent drive frame metal either.

You have macros set up for these overused "come backs" of yours or do
you type them every time?

Old August 22nd 06, 04:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
WindsorFox

wrote:
Is the primary motive for having metal cases to encourage heat
dissipation?

Thank you.

If the metal is aluminum then it could be of benefit toward cooling.

--
I used to have abs. Now, I've just got ab.
One big ol' Ab. - BigSkiff

Pyongyang sounds more like the sound effect an ACME catapult makes
as it goes off at precisely the wrong moment for Wile E. Coyote. -
Cadbury Moose
Old August 22nd 06, 04:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
WindsorFox

kony wrote:
On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 08:02:39 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

kony wrote:
On 21 Aug 2006 13:18:04 -0700, wrote:

Is the primary motive for having metal cases to encourage heat
dissipation?

Thank you.

No, for metal to be an effective conductor it has to be in
contact with the hot parts. Even with hard drives mounted
in metal bays, one can see from the side of the drive and by
taking a finely made straightedge, that their sides are only
flat enough to be in contact with a small % of the metal.

Wrong when the flexible drive bay stack is screwed up to the drive properly.

Oh no! Rod disagrees!

Pity you don't actually look at the drive, look at the case,
or notice that for the metal to bend that much it'd have
permanent creases in it.

Maybe your cases are built like tin-foil. That'd come
closer to doing what you suggest but mine are a wee bit to
thick.

We've already covered this topic Rod, don't be a sore loser.

I have 4 cases in use and only one even makes metal to metal contact
on the hard drives. The Dell cases at work have no metal to metal contct
with drives, so that puts him at *BUUZZZZZZZZT!!* Wrong in a vast
majority of computer cases.

Old August 22nd 06, 04:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
WindsorFox

Rod Speed wrote:
kony wrote
Rod Speed wrote
kony wrote
wrote

Is the primary motive for having metal
cases to encourage heat dissipation?

No, for metal to be an effective conductor it has to be in
contact with the hot parts. Even with hard drives mounted
in metal bays, one can see from the side of the drive and by
taking a finely made straightedge, that their sides are only
flat enough to be in contact with a small % of the metal.
Wrong when the flexible drive bay stack is screwed up to the drive properly.

Oh no! Rod disagrees!

Pathetic, really.

Pity you don't actually look at the drive, look at the case,

Done that more times than you have had hot breakfasts, child.

Maybe that's the trouble, senility. You should pay more attention to
what you're doing when you do it.

or notice that for the metal to bend that
much it'd have permanent creases in it.

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that you have
never ever had a ****ing clue about anything at all, ever.

Lets see, I have three hard drives sitting here right now. Laying a
steel ruler across the mounting screw holes I see; ha! whataya know,
there is a raised area around all three screw holes so when you tighten
all three screws only about 1/8" actually makes metal to metal contact.
Looks like you are, yep, wrong. And as I pointed out earlier, that is
ASSuming that the particular case in question has a mounting solution
that actually provides metal contact, most don;t these days for reason
of noise concerns. You can't back out of this one.

Maybe your cases are built like tin-foil. That'd come closer
to doing what you suggest but mine are a wee bit to thick.

We've already covered this topic Rod,

Yep, you got done like a dinner, as always.

don't be a sore loser.

Never ever could bull**** its way out of a wet paper bag.

No you can't. When you're right you are right, but when you are
wrong you try this and it rarely works. You should stop trying.

Never could explain how the metal drive bay stack ends
up at the same temp as the adjacent drive frame metal either.

On my Lian Li it doesn't. The rack gets warm, but not nearly as warm
as the drives in it and it's all aluminum.

Old August 22nd 06, 04:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mike Walsh

I suspect the main reason for using metal is electromagnetic shielding, as plastic side panels usually have a thin metal shield on them.

wrote:

Is the primary motive for having metal cases to encourage heat
dissipation?

Thank you.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old August 22nd 06, 08:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Rod Speed

WindsorFox wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

Bull****.

You can't back out of this one.

Fraid so, there are plenty of cases that have
proper metal contact in the drive bay stack.

Maybe your cases are built like tin-foil. That'd come closer
to doing what you suggest but mine are a wee bit to thick.

We've already covered this topic Rod,

Yep, you got done like a dinner, as always.

don't be a sore loser.

Never ever could bull**** its way out of a wet paper bag.

No you can't. When you're right you are right, but when you are
wrong you try this and it rarely works. You should stop trying.

You should let go of your dick before you end up completely blind.

Never could explain how the metal drive bay stack ends
up at the same temp as the adjacent drive frame metal either.

On my Lian Li it doesn't.

Pity about all the rest.

The rack gets warm, but not nearly as warm
as the drives in it and it's all aluminum.

But doesnt have metal to metal contact, stupid.

Old August 22nd 06, 08:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Rod Speed

wrote:

kony wrote:
[...]

Wrong with the cheaper cases and the technical
term for your 4 is 'pathetically inadequate sample'