Painting a CRT & Brightness Problem

Old July 26th 06, 06:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Travis King

Default Painting a CRT & Brightness Problem

I'm thinking about painting a CRT that I have black to match my computer as
the picture quality is great but the beige looks horrible. It's a Compaq
P110 21" and I picked it up for $10. My Proview 19" that I have is black
and matches my computer, but I think the gamma went out or something in it
because the screen is always dark even on 100% brightness - I have to use
the software on my video card to adjust the brightness. (And it so happened
that the screen lost its brightness when I went to increase its brightness.)
Anyway, back to the Compaq P110. I've heard most CRTs have a cage over the
bad stuff that can kill you, but I don't think I really want to tear in it
if it's not certain. Also, how do you open up the casing on this monitor?
If I would be better off not tearing into the monitor, is there a way that I
can cover all the ventilation holes? (The holes on the side are rounded and
the holes on the top are strips, which would probably be easier to cover.)

If I were to fix the Proview, would it really be worth it? Thanks.

Old July 26th 06, 06:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Travis King wrote:
[...]

Multiple issues.

1) It's easy to find a black monitor.

2) THe risk of opening a monitor is electrocution, followed by dropping
a bare CRT.

3) It's hard to paint plastic and make it look good. Plus the Buttons
will probably stick afterward.

4) The plastic is much harder to but back on, than it is to take off.

5) It's easy to find a black monitor.

6) It's not worth fixing a monitor unless it's super valuable.

Old July 26th 06, 11:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Osiris

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 05:16:53 GMT, "Travis King"
wrote:

[...]

Supposing you're not going to spray paint it:
you could position the surface to be painted in such a way that the
paint won't drip in... like upside down, on it's side etc.
Use a new, very soft brush with long hairs.
Do a test on an invisible surface . try acrylic, water based paint.

Old July 26th 06, 07:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

wrote:

I'm thinking about painting a CRT that I have black to match my computer as
the picture quality is great but the beige looks horrible. It's a Compaq
P110 21" and I picked it up for $10.

How new is it? I suspect rather old to have gotten it for
$10, and therefore it may not be worth the trouble.

Anyway, back to the Compaq P110. I've heard most CRTs have a cage over the
bad stuff that can kill you, but I don't think I really want to tear in it
if it's not certain. Also, how do you open up the casing on this monitor?

I suggest that if you can't get it open, you shouldn't try
anything more.

If I would be better off not tearing into the monitor, is there a way that I
can cover all the ventilation holes? (The holes on the side are rounded and
the holes on the top are strips, which would probably be easier to cover.)

If I were to fix the Proview, would it really be worth it? Thanks.

No, the Proview is not worth fixing.

Trying to cover the vent holes will look like crap.

Here is what you need to do:

1) Open monitor by taking back/top half of the shell off.
Of course you have unplugged it.

2) Google for method to discharge the tube. It is quite
important to be sure no HV remains.

3) Disassemble entire monitor. Sounds like a lot but
basically, the circuit board tray slides out, the tube comes
off the frame. So so carefully or you may damange it.

4) Having taken the electronics out, if there are clear
plastic pieces on the front face to let LED/other light
shine through, take those off carefully too. Also take off
any buttons which will need painted separately. Often some
plastic structures (like clear led lense) are slipped onto a
plastic stud and the stud melted down. If that is the case,
VERY carefully drill out the melted area of the stud (having
a drill bit in your hand will work as well as in a drill),
then later you'll need to epoxy or glue the piece back in.

5) Having entire shell disassembled, thoroughly wash in
strong detergent, scrubbing hard if a textured surface.

6) Wipe dry with clean towel, not air-dry as water spots
may remain. Don't touch it with hands anymore, oil will get
on it.

7) Vinyl dye, not paint, the entire shell. You'll need at
least two coats, maybe 3 to turn beige into black. Vinyl
dye is much easier to use than paint, looks better (more
like it's the original color) and resists scrapes and
flaking much better than even so-called plastic paint. It
can also be sprayed on thicker, but don't overdo it, plan on
2-3 light coats.

8) Next coat can go on within an hour, all 3 coats can be
done in the same afternoon. When finished, let it dry at
least 2 days.

9) Reassemble monitor, being very careful to get everything
situated as it was originally, content that you've spent way
too much effort on an old CRT.

Old July 26th 06, 07:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Rod Speed

kony wrote
Travis King wrote

[...]

No it isnt if you just want to get the case off to paint it.

You just need some care to not touch that area.

3) Disassemble entire monitor. Sounds like a lot but
basically, the circuit board tray slides out, the tube comes
off the frame. So so carefully or you may damange it.

Not a good idea to take the tube out etc.

Makes more sense to take the backshell off so you can paint
that easier and paint the front carefully with the tube still attached.

Old July 27th 06, 12:10 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Osiris

wrote:

[...]

Oh dear Jesus:
Do not listen to Rod (not so) Speed: he is downright dangerous !
His vocabulary fits on a stamp. And with that, you cannot give sound
advice.

Kony is more sensible.
However, I suspect his procedure will lead you to the conclusion to
keep the CRT casing shut... Which sounds real sensible.

Old July 27th 06, 01:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

wrote:

[...]

May I suggest doing step 2 (figure out how to discharge monitor) BEFORE
doing step 1 (open monitor)?

Old July 27th 06, 05:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 04:47:23 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

2) Google for method to discharge the tube.
It is quite important to be sure no HV remains.

No it isnt if you just want to get the case off to paint it.

You just need some care to not touch that area.

If you are foolish enough to start pulling out circuit
boards without discharging the tube, fine, but please do not
risk others with your irresponsible attitude.

3) Disassemble entire monitor. Sounds like a lot but
basically, the circuit board tray slides out, the tube comes
off the frame. So so carefully or you may damange it.

Not a good idea to take the tube out etc.

LOL, you'll work around high voltage but taking a tube out
seems a bit deal to you? Ever heard the phrase
"ass-backwards"?

Makes more sense to take the backshell off so you can paint
that easier and paint the front carefully with the tube still attached.

It'll look like crap, carefull use of masking tape will
still leave an unpainted area OR paint on the screen and
it's best to not put adhesive/etc on the screen because of
the anti-glare coating.

It's not that I recommend painting that old monitor because
I don't... but if I did, I'd take out the tube too.

Old July 27th 06, 05:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On 26 Jul 2006 17:45:41 -0700, "
wrote:

1) Open monitor by taking back/top half of the shell off.
Of course you have unplugged it.

2) Google for method to discharge the tube. It is quite
important to be sure no HV remains.

May I suggest doing step 2 (figure out how to discharge monitor) BEFORE
doing step 1 (open monitor)?

Ok, but if you can actually discharge it before opening
it...
Old July 27th 06, 05:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 14:23:51 -0400, kony
wrote:

8) Next coat can go on within an hour, all 3 coats can be
done in the same afternoon. When finished, let it dry at
least 2 days.

8a) Vinyl dye stinks, paint outside and plan to leave it
outside or in a well ventilated area for at least 1 day.
It may even be unhealthy to have it inside, an entire
monitor shell is a large surface area. After a half hour or
so, it will already be dry enough that dust/etc should not
stick to it so it need not be an extremely clean area.