Standard or Widescreen monitor?

Old July 21st 06, 12:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer
Roderick Stewart

Default Standard or Widescreen monitor?

In article , Agamemnon wrote:
16:9 is a horrid ratio to watch TV on because the screen ratio feels
completely wrong. It's too wide for the golden ratio and its too narrow for
Panavision so films cropped to fit into it look odd.

As far as I know, nobody makes any programme material, film or electronic,
designed for "golden ratio".

Rod.

Old July 21st 06, 12:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer
Roderick Stewart

In article . com,
wrote:
Why are so many laptops in Currys/Dixons/Comet etc widescreen? The
dork in Comet told me internet pages are designed for widescreen...

Yes, films fit it better but for everything else it's just the loss of
height, which you need for web pages and documents.

It allows them to specify the screen size with an impressively big
number, even though the screen is actually slightly smaller in area than
a conventionally shaped one would be on a similarly sized laptop.

One possible advantage on a laptop is that a shorter screen is a little
more mechanically stable so won't flap about so much.

Rod.

Old July 21st 06, 01:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer
Slurp

"Agamemnon" wrote in message

(LCD's only go up to 1600x1200 which is not big enough.)

???? the Dell 30" does 2560 x 1600

http://tinyurl.com/hozec

Slurp

Old July 21st 06, 01:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer
Hawkins

Pressing F11 on most browser set ups will remove the 2 to 3 toolbars at the
top of the screen and also the main bar at the bottom. A second press will
bring them back again. It is also possible to drag the bars to display
vertically at either side of the screen. I have not tried the effect of F 11
in this configuration.

Richard.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Bazzer Smith wrote:
I am probably thinking a big standard shape monitor would be best?
I incidently I have a Freecom DTTV stick so I sometime watch TV
on my PC, but the monitor shape is not really a problem as you watch in
a nicely framed box, you don't get black ugly bars wasteing space as you
do on a proper TV.

If you watch a reasonable amount of TV on it then i'd go for a
widescreen. 17" is usable but doesn't have a huge amount of vertical
space - for a desk a 19 or 20" widesceen is nice and will let you work
two docs side by side (or a document and email say). You can move the
windows bar to the side to maximise the amount of vertical workspace.

It also depends on how much you're going to spend - w/s monitors tend
to cost more and i'd go for a really good 4:3 over a 'budget' w/s

Widescreens on laptops are a terrible idea as theres just not enough
vertical height on a 15" screen (above that and they're not really
portable). I think a 12" 4:3 screen for a laptop you regularly carry
and a 15" for one you carry less often.

Old July 21st 06, 02:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer
[email protected]

Hawkins wrote:
Pressing F11 on most browser set ups will remove the 2 to 3 toolbars at the
top of the screen and also the main bar at the bottom. A second press will
bring them back again. It is also possible to drag the bars to display
vertically at either side of the screen. I have not tried the effect of F 11
in this configuration.

Indeed - f11 is the IE shortcut for fullscreen, presumably copied by
Firefox and others for compatibility. Has various different functions
in M$ desktop apps. Now a quick shortcut to hide all toolbars in Word,
and then get them back again, would be useful but F11 isn't it.

Old July 21st 06, 03:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer
Agamemnon

"Slurp" wrote in message

"Agamemnon" wrote in message

(LCD's only go up to 1600x1200 which is not big enough.)

???? the Dell 30" does 2560 x 1600

It needs a dual link DVI graphics card so I can't use it on my present
computer which would need a new motherboard as well as a new graphics card.

http://tinyurl.com/hozec

Its only 16:10.

If its not 16:9 I can't see any advantage for it over a 4:3 display at
1920x1440.

Slurp

Old July 21st 06, 03:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer
ThePunisher

"Agamemnon" wrote in message

Get a 19 inch or larger CRT that can display up to 1920x1440
resolution or over. Then you will be able to watch HD movies at
1920x1080 and tile 4 wordprocessor or internet explorer windows on
the screen at the same time and have no problems with loss of usable
area. (LCD's only go up to 1600x1200 which is not big enough.)

LOL!! have you any idea how small the 4 open windows on screen at the same
time would be?

--
ThePunisher

Old July 21st 06, 03:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer
David Taylor

On 2006-07-21, ThePunisher wrote:
"Agamemnon" wrote in message

Get a 19 inch or larger CRT that can display up to 1920x1440
resolution or over. Then you will be able to watch HD movies at
1920x1080 and tile 4 wordprocessor or internet explorer windows on
the screen at the same time and have no problems with loss of usable
area. (LCD's only go up to 1600x1200 which is not big enough.)

LOL!! have you any idea how small the 4 open windows on screen at the same
time would be?

A quarter the size of said 19 inch or larger CRT. Have you any idea how
silly that question was?

--
David Taylor
Old July 21st 06, 04:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer
Agamemnon

"ThePunisher" wrote in message
"Agamemnon" wrote in message

Get a 19 inch or larger CRT that can display up to 1920x1440
resolution or over. Then you will be able to watch HD movies at
1920x1080 and tile 4 wordprocessor or internet explorer windows on
the screen at the same time and have no problems with loss of usable
area. (LCD's only go up to 1600x1200 which is not big enough.)

LOL!! have you any idea how small the 4 open windows on screen at the same
time would be?

Since I am using 1920x1440 resolution right now the answer is yes. The size
of each of the windows would be 93% of the window size when expanded to full
screen if you were using 1024x768 resolution. If you overlap the top and
bottom borders of each window and the side scroll bars then you'd be able to
see the same work area you would see at 1024x768 in each quadrant and anyway
there is not need to overlap. You can tile 4 instances of Word with A4
documents selected at 100% and still be able to see the whole of the page
within the standard margins. For most web pages 4 instances of Internet
explorer tiled will display the whole width of the page since most pages are
set to 800 pixels wide.

If you want more you could always use 2048x1536 resolution by my monitor
isn't really designed for that resolution although it can go up to it.
Useful for editing lots of images side by side though or very large spread
sheets where the fonts are not too small.

--
ThePunisher

Old July 21st 06, 05:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer
Bazzer Smith

"Agamemnon" wrote in message

Get a 19 inch or larger CRT that can display up to 1920x1440
resolution or over. Then you will be able to watch HD movies at
1920x1080 and tile 4 wordprocessor or internet explorer windows on
the screen at the same time and have no problems with loss of usable
area. (LCD's only go up to 1600x1200 which is not big enough.)

LOL!! have you any idea how small the 4 open windows on screen at the same
time would be?

960X720 bigger than the 800X600 I have been using for the last 10 years.

--
ThePunisher

Beware of LG Yugo Printers 31 July 12th 06 08:06 PM
Widescreen LCD Monitor HP L2335 has some motion blur in Quake 3. Michael Hawes Homebuilt PC's 0 March 31st 06 10:20 PM
Can't use higher resolution with Topcon 10" monitor emil_lam Nvidia Videocards 20 December 7th 05 11:57 PM
Is Dell P1110 21" monitor the same as Liyama S102GT 21" monitor? private person Homebuilt PC's 0 February 25th 04 04:56 PM
Matching print colors to Monitor screen David Chien Printers 8 January 25th 04 01:58 PM