Recommend a CPU?

Old January 22nd 04, 11:41 PM
BRH

Default Recommend a CPU?

I'm looking at upgarding the CPU in my current system. I have an Epox
8Kha+ mobo which has a FSB of 266, so I'm interested in getting the
fastest CPU available for that FSB speed. I'm interested in maximizing
the performance of this mobo.

AFAIK, that would mean an AthlonXP2600. Although this CPU is available
at 333 FSB, I recall it also coming out for 266 FSB, although it's now
hard to find in that flavor. Is there another faster CPU that would fit
my mobo? If not, is this one still available and from where? And how
is it overclocking-wise? (Sadly, my mobo limits me to only upping the
FSB, not the multiplier....)

Finally, is it much of a jump to go to the 2600 from my present XP2100?

Any thoughts on these questions would be appreciated.

Old January 23rd 04, 01:22 AM
David Maynard

BRH wrote:
I'm looking at upgarding the CPU in my current system. I have an Epox
8Kha+ mobo which has a FSB of 266, so I'm interested in getting the
fastest CPU available for that FSB speed. I'm interested in maximizing
the performance of this mobo.

AFAIK, that would mean an AthlonXP2600. Although this CPU is available
at 333 FSB, I recall it also coming out for 266 FSB, although it's now
hard to find in that flavor. Is there another faster CPU that would fit
my mobo? If not, is this one still available and from where? And how
is it overclocking-wise? (Sadly, my mobo limits me to only upping the
FSB, not the multiplier....)

Finally, is it much of a jump to go to the 2600 from my present XP2100?

Any thoughts on these questions would be appreciated.

Check pricewatch.com. There's two pages of sellers claiming to have the 266
MHz FSB version of the 2600+.

Although, unless you're doing something like video editing I doubt you'll
notice the 25% increase in CPU speed.

Old January 23rd 04, 02:56 AM
Wayne Youngman

"BRH wrote
I'm looking at upgarding the CPU in my current system. I have an Epox
8Kha+ mobo which has a FSB of 266, so I'm interested in getting the
fastest CPU available for that FSB speed. I'm interested in maximizing
the performance of this mobo.

AFAIK, that would mean an AthlonXP2600. Although this CPU is available
at 333 FSB, I recall it also coming out for 266 FSB, although it's now
hard to find in that flavor. Is there another faster CPU that would fit
my mobo? If not, is this one still available and from where? And how
is it overclocking-wise? (Sadly, my mobo limits me to only upping the
FSB, not the multiplier....)

Finally, is it much of a jump to go to the 2600 from my present XP2100?

Any thoughts on these questions would be appreciated.

Hi,
sorry to *stir* things up, but reading your post I can't help but think that
the thing you should upgrade is the *Motherboard* to an nForce-2. You could
then overclock your old chip to 2600+ speeds. The only thing holding you
back after the motherboard is your memory. You got PC2100 and to get the
best from the nForce-2 you would need PC3200, however you could tackle that
in a few months time. .
--
Wayne ][

Old January 23rd 04, 06:51 AM
BigBadger

You would be best to simply overclock the cpu you have (should be multiplier
un-locked or at least unlockable)...failing that a new motherboard would be
a better investment.

"BRH @comcast.net" "bhoenigno-spam wrote in message
Thanks. I'll check it out.

Old January 24th 04, 12:04 AM
BRH

Thanks for the reply. I'm not real handy and really am not interested in going
thru getting a new mobo (although I know that would be the
best-bang-for-the-buck upgrade) because of having to re-format the hard drive
and re-install everything. I'm much more interested in gaining some speed
quickly and easily.

If there's a simple way of unlocking the multiplier of my present CPU without
resorting to a hardware mod to the chip (ie - soldering, ect), I'd be interested
in hearing about it.

Old January 24th 04, 05:48 AM
David Maynard

BRH wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I'm not real handy and really am not interested in going
thru getting a new mobo (although I know that would be the
best-bang-for-the-buck upgrade) because of having to re-format the hard drive
and re-install everything. I'm much more interested in gaining some speed
quickly and easily.

You can avoid the 'format' and reinstall of your apps by starting an
'upgrade' on the existing motherboard and, after it copies the setup files
over, turning it off during the first reboot. Then move it to the new
motherboard. On the first power up it continues the upgrade, which includes
re detecting the hardware, that will be the new motherboard.

It's faster if you copy the i386 folder to the hard drive and run setup
from there.

Old January 24th 04, 05:49 PM
Immuno

"David Maynard" wrote in message
BRH wrote:
[...]

.............DAMN thats smart! Does it work with XP too?

Pete

Old January 25th 04, 10:05 AM
Immuno

"David Maynard" wrote in message