Western Digital, Maxtor or Seagate

Old October 16th 03, 04:55 AM
Dave Hull

I have both the Seagate driver and the WD drive that you mention. The
Seagate has benchmarked about 10% better in all of the benchmarks I've put
the drives through. In everyday use there is barely a noticeable
difference, if at all, besides the fact that the Seagate drive is quieter.

Dave

"@drian" wrote in message
For a spare PC, I'm considering setting up a RAID 0 array. Which make of
drive would be best for the array? I'm looking at 120GB, Serial ATA, 8MB
cache drives. The makes I'm considering a

o Seagate / $108.00
o Maxtor / $110.00
o Western Digital / $118.00

Is any one make better for the RAID 0 array than the other? There would

be
two identical makes on the array.

Also, I'm wondering if Western Digital is that much better than Maxtor or
Seagate, for the slightly price increase they command.

@drian.

Old October 16th 03, 05:34 AM
@drian

"DaveW" wrote in message
Check out their warranties, which tells you how long they expect them to
last. Only the WD comes with a 3 year warranty; the others have 1 year.

Yes, I already did that. They are as follows:

Seagate - 1 year
Maxtor - 3 years
WD - 3 years

Good idea though. The above is for Serial ATA drives.

@drian.

Old October 16th 03, 10:18 AM
kony

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 00:43:55 GMT, kony wrote:

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 23:16:00 GMT, "DaveW" wrote:

Check out their warranties, which tells you how long they expect them to
last. Only the WD comes with a 3 year warranty; the others have 1 year.

Not all WD have 3 year, some have 1, and likewise, Maxtor also has 3
year on some, 1 yr on the others... I very much doubt it has anything
to do with expected lifespan, but rather just another way the large
corps. squeeze another few cents profit, or rather, retain it.

Dave

Hmmmm.
WD seems to have just dropped 3 year warranties on their retail
Special Edition drives... if you want a 3 yr warranty on one, you
better buy it now, while those with 3 yr. warranties are still
in-stock at your favorite store.

http://support.wdc.com/warranty/policy.asp
Old October 16th 03, 01:50 PM
Larc

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:18:26 GMT, kony pondered exceedingly, then took quill in
hand and carefully composed...

| WD seems to have just dropped 3 year warranties on their retail
| Special Edition drives... if you want a 3 yr warranty on one, you
| better buy it now, while those with 3 yr. warranties are still
| in-stock at your favorite store.
|
| http://support.wdc.com/warranty/policy.asp

It sounds as if OEM Special Edition drives would still have the three-year
warranty. That's what I usually buy anyway when I need another hard drive since
OEMs usually cost less than retail packages.

Larc

§§§ - Please raise temperature of mail to reply by e-mail - §§§
Old October 18th 03, 04:28 AM
Bob Davis

"DaveW" wrote in message

Check out their warranties, which tells you how long they expect them to
last. Only the WD comes with a 3 year warranty; the others have 1 year.

The Maxtor 6Y160P0 (160gb, 8mb buffer) I purchased last May has a 3-year
warranty. From what I understand, all WD 8mb-buffer drives are 3-year, the
rest 1-year.

Old October 19th 03, 11:09 PM

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:59:19 +0200, "Ilya Dan"
wrote:

o Seagate / $108.00
o Maxtor / $110.00
o Western Digital / $118.00

Is any one make better for the RAID 0 array than the other? There would

be
two identical makes on the array.

It's my personal experience, but I didn't see WD hard drive that succeeded
to work longer then 4 month without falling apart. I've always replaced
twice, and then had to replace to Maxtor (Quantum), which is by the way 5$
more expensive here for some reason. Making a hard drive that will live for
years, seems to be greatest WD problem. Anyway in RAID, you will be able to
replace the faulty drives forever without loosing any data, so this will be
less problem for you

No redundancy with RAID 0. Lose 1 drive and all your data.

___________
Best Regards,
Ilya Dan.

It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word.
-- Andrew Jackson
Old October 20th 03, 06:24 PM
\(\) |V| 3 G A

i`ve had experience with all the drives you mention.
seagate PATAsingle- 3 years ago
maxtor PATA single- 1.5yrs ago
westerndigital SATA in raid0 array- 3 week ago.

i`ve had NO problems with any drives (WD SATA's not been tested long enough
for a reliable answer)

tim

"@drian" wrote in message
For a spare PC, I'm considering setting up a RAID 0 array. Which make of
drive would be best for the array? I'm looking at 120GB, Serial ATA, 8MB
cache drives. The makes I'm considering a

o Seagate / $108.00
o Maxtor / $110.00
o Western Digital / $118.00

Is any one make better for the RAID 0 array than the other? There would

be
two identical makes on the array.

Also, I'm wondering if Western Digital is that much better than Maxtor or
Seagate, for the slightly price increase they command.

@drian.

Western Digital SATA WD800JD and Windows 98? Machine Messiah General 6 May 19th 04 05:04 AM
Western Digital 2000 BeeFarmer General 9 April 30th 04 08:58 PM
Adaptec vs. Western Digital. Who is DEGRADED? Who is FOS? Brian General 0 January 13th 04 05:16 PM
Western Digital, Maxtor or Seagate @drian General 25 October 20th 03 06:24 PM
Western Digital, Maxtor, Seagate - guess who spams? tiburón Homebuilt PC's 7 September 29th 03 11:19 PM