metal cases

Old August 31st 06, 03:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
WindsorFox

Default metal cases

VWWall wrote:

What the evidence shows here is that you are apparently losing the
capability to think straight. Just like your comment on tube audio
amps you just throw out the first thing you think of and stick with it
no matter how incorrect it is. I suggest a supplement of Ginko Biloba
along with that Geritol. It should do wonders, and a little Paxil
would help that attitude problem.

When you go to the circus to watch the clowns, you don't have to get
into the ring with them.

--
VWW

gasp! You mean, you don't?? What's the point of going then, if not
for a ride in the tiny red car with 42 other clowns???

--
I used to have abs. Now, I've just got ab.
One big ol' Ab. - BigSkiff www.titanspot.com

Pyongyang sounds more like the sound effect an ACME catapult makes
as it goes off at precisely the wrong moment for Wile E. Coyote. -
Cadbury Moose
Old August 31st 06, 03:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
WindsorFox

kony wrote:
It is easy enough to tell if the case is helping-
feel the side of it... If it doesn't feel warm, there's not
enough of a temp difference to matter. If it does feel
warm, you need more chassis cooling as even the bare minimal
AMD and Intel recommendations will not let a chassis get
that hot unless the front bezel were a solid restrictive
panel.

And that's exactly what it did. And yes, more flow would have
cooled them to a point where the material wouldn't matter, but my point
was to see if under the right circumstances an aluminum case would cool
better. And yes it is probably a moot point because anyone that has an
aluminum case is not likely to have a lack of fans or airflow, but the
fact remains that the aluminum case *can* make a difference if the
circumstances are correct. A difference worth the price difference,
probably not.

Old August 31st 06, 06:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VWWall

WindsorFox wrote:
VWWall wrote:

What the evidence shows here is that you are apparently losing the
capability to think straight. Just like your comment on tube audio
amps you just throw out the first thing you think of and stick with
it no matter how incorrect it is. I suggest a supplement of Ginko
Biloba along with that Geritol. It should do wonders, and a little
Paxil would help that attitude problem.

When you go to the circus to watch the clowns, you don't have to get
into the ring with them.

gasp! You mean, you don't?? What's the point of going then, if not
for a ride in the tiny red car with 42 other clowns???

Just don't be the first to get into the tiny red car!
It can be hard to get out of. ;-)
--
VWW
Old August 31st 06, 10:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 09:53:42 -0500, WindsorFox
wrote:

kony wrote:
It is easy enough to tell if the case is helping-
feel the side of it... If it doesn't feel warm, there's not
enough of a temp difference to matter. If it does feel
warm, you need more chassis cooling as even the bare minimal
AMD and Intel recommendations will not let a chassis get
that hot unless the front bezel were a solid restrictive
panel.

And that's exactly what it did. And yes, more flow would have
cooled them to a point where the material wouldn't matter, but my point
was to see if under the right circumstances an aluminum case would cool
better.

The circumstance would have to be very extreme- the system
would not operate properly long-term like that, so I
completely discount this situation as the aluminum didn't
actually help, the system was still too hot.

And yes it is probably a moot point because anyone that has an
aluminum case is not likely to have a lack of fans or airflow, but the
fact remains that the aluminum case *can* make a difference if the
circumstances are correct. A difference worth the price difference,
probably not.

The fact remains that for any reasonable computer system
implementation, aluminum is not going to help enough to be
considered relevant. We don't have to acknowledge a
situation where there is an extreme problem, as then we'd
have to consider things like "having a sprinkler system in a
case is a good idea" to cover situations where we're growing
flowers in there or putting out fires.

FWIW, most of the time I'd rather a steel case, because for
the same thickness steel is sturdier. Some of the high
priced thicker Al are nice, but come to think of it I might
just as soon have it be that thick a gauge of steel instead
of it were possible (seems nobody makes a PC case anymore
over 1.0 thick, sometimes 1.2 on rackmounts but not so
common anymore).

Old September 1st 06, 03:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
WindsorFox

wrote:

kony wrote:
It is easy enough to tell if the case is helping-
feel the side of it... If it doesn't feel warm, there's not
enough of a temp difference to matter. If it does feel
warm, you need more chassis cooling as even the bare minimal
AMD and Intel recommendations will not let a chassis get
that hot unless the front bezel were a solid restrictive
panel.

And that's exactly what it did. And yes, more flow would have
cooled them to a point where the material wouldn't matter, but my point
was to see if under the right circumstances an aluminum case would cool
better.

The circumstance would have to be very extreme- the system
would not operate properly long-term like that, so I
completely discount this situation as the aluminum didn't
actually help, the system was still too hot.

Of course it helped. It had to if one box was cooler than the other and
it ran in both cases for over 8 hours each time.

[...]

Why? It shouldn't have to do anything but hold stuff and not fall
when you lean on it.

Old September 1st 06, 04:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

wrote:

kony wrote:
[...]

Helped like putting a bandage on a cadaver?

No, it did not help because it did not result in an
acceptible operating temp. if it doesn't meet this basic
goal, it was a misguided focal point, a detrimental thing to
consider at all... so not only did it not help, it hurt.

FWIW, most of the time I'd rather a steel case, because for
the same thickness steel is sturdier. Some of the high
priced thicker Al are nice, but come to think of it I might
just as soon have it be that thick a gauge of steel instead
of it were possible (seems nobody makes a PC case anymore
over 1.0 thick, sometimes 1.2 on rackmounts but not so
common anymore).

Why? It shouldn't have to do anything but hold stuff and not fall
when you lean on it.

Thicker metal flexes less, meaning less strain on boards,
and thin walled component cases (like optical drives).

It can matter merely scooting a case across a desk, or
picking it up, let alone transporting it. That's no
guarantee it will break a system immediately, but given same
design of case the thicker metal has an obvious benefit.

Thicker metal also vibrates less, and the mere weight of
components can actually deform a cheap case a little.
"Little" may not be but a millimeter, but we'd talking about
parts that mount to the rear and have slot contacts, so a
millimeter can be a lot.

Better question is, why would you NOT want a sturdy case?
Would you want a refrigerator or automobile that is flimsy
too? So what if it weighs 10 lbs more, are you lugging it
to lan parties every weekend?

Same situation with any quality merchandise, thin and flimsy
is just poor quality goods if the weight reduction isn't
targeted towards an important function of the device.
Old September 1st 06, 06:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
UCLAN

Why the long discussion about the temperature advantages of metal
cases? The *main* advantage of metal cases is RFI/EMI suppression,
and to a lesser degree, rigidity.

Trying to get a plastic case to pass FCC testing can be frustrating,
indeed.
Old September 1st 06, 11:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 10:42:14 -0700, UCLAN
wrote:

Why the long discussion about the temperature advantages of metal
cases? The *main* advantage of metal cases is RFI/EMI suppression,
and to a lesser degree, rigidity.

Agreed.

Trying to get a plastic case to pass FCC testing can be frustrating,
indeed.

.... requires metal paint that costs as much as metal
sheeting would.