cant partition drive ...help !!!!

Old July 1st 03, 11:36 PM
hammer

Default cant partition drive ...help !!!!

Ok, I have ran fdisk to partition IBM deskstar 40gb drive all goes ok ,
reboot then partitions are lost. drive used to work. Then one day all
partitions where lost. Is this drive DEAD or can i repair it .

Have tried this to no avail:

fdisk/mbr
fdisk re-partitioning ( goes ok but doesn't hold partitions)
used diskpather but has error reading disk, can see old data but was only

demo version so limited functions)
partionmagic from Windows XP , get error on start up .
Tried installing Linux (mandrake 9.1 and redhat 7) to see if they could

partition drive, they failed.

any ideas would be gratefully recieved or do i just bin it, have new drive
now , but just wanted to see if i can salavage the drive.

cheers all

Jamie

There is a solution!"

http://www.giantcompany.com

Old July 2nd 03, 12:26 AM
Rod Speed

hammer bad_company'ala'barrysworld.com wrote in message

Ok, I have ran fdisk to partition IBM deskstar 40gb drive all goes
ok , reboot then partitions are lost. drive used to work. Then one
day all partitions where lost. Is this drive DEAD or can i repair it .

I'd personally bin it, essentially because those IBM GXP drives
are absolutely notorious, hard drive failure is such a complete
pain in the arse, even if you are fully backed up, and drives of
that size are now so cheap that its not worth the hassle.

Have tried this to no avail:

fdisk/mbr
fdisk re-partitioning ( goes ok but doesn't hold partitions)
used diskpather but has error reading disk, can see old data but was only

demo version so limited functions)
partionmagic from Windows XP , get error on start up .
Tried installing Linux (mandrake 9.1 and redhat 7) to see if they could

partition drive, they failed.

any ideas would be gratefully recieved

You could try doing it over at the most thorough level with DFT.
But even if that does make the drive usable again, it will almost
certainly just bite you on the arse again in the future.

or do i just bin it,

Yep, I would. I've got plenty better things to do with my
time than to fart around with another IBM GXP drive.

have new drive now , but just wanted
to see if i can salavage the drive.

It probably is salvagable, but I wouldnt bother myself.

Old July 2nd 03, 07:14 AM
hammer

thx for advice , will still prolly have a mess about with it when i'm bored
again .....

There is a solution!"

http://www.giantcompany.com