frag tape, rubbing alcohol? - U.K translation please

Old August 30th 03, 11:40 PM
Wayne Youngman

Default frag tape, rubbing alcohol? - U.K translation please

Hi,

what are the U.K equilivalent of these things please?

Wayne ][

Old August 31st 03, 12:14 AM
Bob Knowlden

"Frag tape" is thermal tape, a double-sided tape used for attaching
heatsinks etc. I'm not sure of the etymology of "frag" tape, but I suspect
that it came out of some unnatural mating of overclocking and FPS gaming.

"rubbing alcohol" is isopropyl alcohol, aka isopropanol. Actually, the stuff
sold as "rubbing alcohol" (traditionally, for use in a rubdown after
exercise) in the US contains water, so it's probably less than ideal for use
as a cleaning solvent. It may be difficult to get the 100% stuff at the
corner pharmacy (chemist). Acetone may be better, but it's a more vicious
solvent. (Acetone dissolves many plastics quite quickly.) Acetone is
regarded as toxic, unless it is sold as nail polish remover. ;-)

I've used paint thinner (mineral spirits), although it isn't exactly
cleanroom stuff.

HTH.

Bob Knowlden

Spam dodger in use. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

Old August 31st 03, 12:31 AM
Wayne Youngman

"Bob Knowlden" wrote
[...]

thanks for reply. O.K so that rubbing stuff is *isopropyl* I have bought
that before from the local chemists (Boots). but you say that is not ideal?
can I ask them for 100% Isopropy without being arrested as a terrorist?. I
need something to help clean some old heatsink gunk off, it looks almost
like hardened plastic (glue gun?). I just bought some Akasa heatsink
cleaner but I think that's for stuff like ArticIII.

Acetone is nail polish remover? that stuff that stinks, are you suggesting
that will be a good thing to clean old heatsink compound off with? lol you
learn something everyday here!

The frag tape was suggested as a good way to attach a heatsink to the NF7-S
south bridge which by default is bare. I have some Artic Thermal Epoxy but
I'm not sure if I wanna make a permanent fixture, hence frag tape, dunno if
I can find that in the U.K?

thanks,

Wayne ][

Old August 31st 03, 02:34 AM
RD

Hi Wayne,
"Wayne Youngman" wrote in message
[snip]
The frag tape was suggested as a good way to attach a heatsink to the

NF7-S
south bridge which by default is bare. I have some Artic Thermal Epoxy

but
I'm not sure if I wanna make a permanent fixture, hence frag tape, dunno

if
I can find that in the U.K?

You might try tekheads, www.tekheads.co.uk or their partner site
www.extremecooling.co.uk
for heatsink tape.. not sure what section of the site has it offhand but I'm
pretty sure I've seen it
on there somewhe-)

BTW you can access the extremecooling site via the tekheads site, its an
option on their
homepage near the top.

Cheers,
RD

Old August 31st 03, 02:39 AM
Bob Knowlden

As far as I know, no alarms will go off if you request 100% isopropanol.
It's less toxic, and less flammable, than acetone, and acetone is readily
available. (Avoid nail polish remover, particularly the stuff with oil
added. It may take off the old goop, but you'd have to clean off the oil.)

Methanol is also a good cleaning solvent, although it's probably more toxic
than isopropanol. (Ethanol is good also, although the best form would be
"absolute" ethanol. That used to be available in two forms: one was
distilled out of benzene [benzine], and contaminated with it. The other was
distilled from water; a liquor tax was levied on it, as it was potable
[preferably after dilution].)

I used paint thinner to clean up after scraping off the goo between the GPU
on an ATI 9700 Pro chip and its heat sink. (I also removed the "shim", and
applied AS Alumina.) Sadly, the core OC gain was less than I'd hoped, but
definite.

As to a UK source of thermal tape, I have no idea. 3M is one of the
manufacturers in the US; I imagine that they sell world wide.

Checking www.digikey.com (I doubt that they ship to the UK), I find thermal
tape from Bergquist in 10" (25 cm) square sheets, at prices from about $40
(US) to $60 in thicknesses of 0.005" (0.127 mm), 0.008" (0.2 mm), and 0.011"
(0.28 mm). (Thinner has less thermal resistance, but less ability to fill
gaps.)

Good luck.

Old August 31st 03, 02:42 AM
SLP

"Wayne Youngman" wrote in message
"Bob Knowlden" wrote

Hi,
thanks for reply. O.K so that rubbing stuff is *isopropyl* I have bought
that before from the local chemists (Boots). but you say that is not

ideal?
can I ask them for 100% Isopropy without being arrested as a terrorist?.

need something to help clean some old heatsink gunk off, it looks almost
like hardened plastic (glue gun?). I just bought some Akasa heatsink
cleaner but I think that's for stuff like ArticIII.

Just use the Akasa cleaner, it should work on all types of thermal
compounds. I bought some last week and it removes all the gunk off a
heatsink in seconds.

SLP

Old August 31st 03, 04:02 AM
Nick M V Salmon

"Wayne Youngman" wrote
thanks for reply. O.K so that rubbing stuff is *isopropyl* I have bought
that before from the local chemists (Boots). but you say that is not

ideal?
can I ask them for 100% Isopropy without being arrested as a terrorist?.

need something to help clean some old heatsink gunk off, it looks almost
like hardened plastic (glue gun?). I just bought some Akasa heatsink
cleaner but I think that's for stuff like ArticIII.

Acetone is nail polish remover? that stuff that stinks, are you suggesting
that will be a good thing to clean old heatsink compound off with? lol you
learn something everyday here!

Don't use nailpolish remover Wayne - it's mainly Acetone but it has some oil
in it too & that spoils the thermal transfer compound's contact with the
heatsink. Stuff I use is Cellulose thinners from a modelling shop - Naptha
lighter fuel would work okay too...

The frag tape was suggested as a good way to attach a heatsink to the

NF7-S
south bridge which by default is bare. I have some Artic Thermal Epoxy

but
I'm not sure if I wanna make a permanent fixture, hence frag tape, dunno

if
I can find that in the U.K?

Trouble with frag tape is it isn't very thick - the Southbridge on all my
NF7s is very concave so only the four corners would be touching - not a lot
of use. If you want Arctic Silver Epoxy at lower strength so you can remove
it then add 50% thermal grease to it when you mix it - it takes a while
longer to 'go off' but it will eventually. That will lower the strength
enough that you can lever the heatsink off easily without damaging the
chip - that's how I fixed heatsinks on all mine. (The AS Epoxy strength
reduction method is mentioned on the Arctic Silver website BTW.)

Ciao...

[UK]_Nick...

Old August 31st 03, 04:08 AM
David Maynard

Bob Knowlden wrote:
As far as I know, no alarms will go off if you request 100% isopropanol.
It's less toxic, and less flammable, than acetone, and acetone is readily
available. (Avoid nail polish remover, particularly the stuff with oil
added. It may take off the old goop, but you'd have to clean off the oil.)

Methanol is also a good cleaning solvent, although it's probably more toxic
than isopropanol.

http://www.poem.princeton.edu/MSDS/METHYL%20ALCOHOL.pdf

POISON! DANGER! VAPOR HARMFUL. MAY BE FATAL OR CAUSE BLINDNESS
IF SWALLOWED. HARMFUL IF INHALED OR ABSORBED THROUGH SKIN.
CANNOT BE MADE NONPOISONOUS. FLAMMABLE LIQUID AND VAPOR.
CAUSES IRRITATION TO SKIN, EYES AND RESPIRATORY TRACT. AFFECTS
CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM AND LIVER.

SAF-T-DATA(tm) Ratings (Provided here for your convenience)
Health Rating: 3 - Severe (Poison)
Flammability Rating: 3 - Severe (Flammable)
Reactivity Rating: 1 - Slight
Contact Rating: 3 - Severe (Life)

(Ethanol is good also, although the best form would be
"absolute" ethanol. That used to be available in two forms: one was
distilled out of benzene [benzine], and contaminated with it. The other was
distilled from water; a liquor tax was levied on it, as it was potable
[preferably after dilution].)

I'm trying to figure out how ethanol, a hydrocarbon, is distilled from
non-carbon containing H2O.