Can the Adaptec 3210S do RAID 1+5?

Old October 13th 03, 06:50 PM
Rick Kunkel

Default Can the Adaptec 3210S do RAID 1+5?

A couple weeks ago, I wrote a post asking about the
feasibility/craziness of a RAID 1+5 setup with 10 U160 drives. I'm
trying to find a SINGLE card now that is capable of doing this. (Yes,
I know that many people may argue that this seems a little bonkers,
but unfortunately I have been given the budget and the amount of
equipment that we have, and there are only a few variables here, so
please work with me...)

Anyhow, we got an Adaptec 3210S. On the Adaptec Spec sheet at

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/sup...&fromarea=prod

they mention that this card "supports RAID 0, 1, 0/1, 5, 0/5, JBOD".
There are a couple questions here...

1. Is it possible that this card DOES support it, but that it's rare
enough that they just don't mention it in the product specs?

2. If not, are there other brands that can do this on a single card?

3. Would it be easiest to just do the RAID 1 on the card and do the
RAID 5 across the RAID 1 arrays in the OS?

Thanks much,

Rick Kunkel

Old October 16th 03, 12:32 AM
Malcolm Weir

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 10:50:13 -0700, Rick Kunkel
wrote:

A couple weeks ago, I wrote a post asking about the
feasibility/craziness of a RAID 1+5 setup with 10 U160 drives. I'm
trying to find a SINGLE card now that is capable of doing this. (Yes,
I know that many people may argue that this seems a little bonkers,
but unfortunately I have been given the budget and the amount of
equipment that we have, and there are only a few variables here, so
please work with me...)

Anyhow, we got an Adaptec 3210S. On the Adaptec Spec sheet at

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/sup...&fromarea=prod

they mention that this card "supports RAID 0, 1, 0/1, 5, 0/5, JBOD".
There are a couple questions here...

1. Is it possible that this card DOES support it, but that it's rare
enough that they just don't mention it in the product specs?

Very unlikely.

2. If not, are there other brands that can do this on a single card?

The LSI brands (LSI and Mylex) don't seem to do it either.

3. Would it be easiest to just do the RAID 1 on the card and do the
RAID 5 across the RAID 1 arrays in the OS?

*Shudder*!

The other way around would be much cleaner: mirror (in the OS) two R5
arrays.

Rick Kunkel

Malc.
Old October 16th 03, 02:25 AM
Brian Inglis

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 10:50:13 -0700 in comp.arch.storage, Rick
Kunkel wrote:

A couple weeks ago, I wrote a post asking about the
feasibility/craziness of a RAID 1+5 setup with 10 U160 drives.

^^^^^^^^^ uh-huh!
So you want to use 10 drives to get 4 drives' capacity and read
performance, and 1 drive's write performance? Why not just 0+1 to
get 5 drives' capacity and write performance and 10 drives' read
performance? With (presumably) 160GB per head, hopefully you've
got a fairly low transaction rate, you're doing large transfers,
or you have a lot of system and controller cache?

(Brian dot Inglis at SystematicSw dot ab dot ca)
fake address use address above to reply

IDE RAID Ted Dawson Asus Motherboards 29 September 21st 04 03:39 AM
Need help with SATA RAID 1 failure on A7N8X Delux Cameron Asus Motherboards 10 September 6th 04 11:50 PM
Asus P4C800 Deluxe ATA SATA and RAID Promise FastTrack 378 Drivers and more. Julian Asus Motherboards 2 August 11th 04 12:43 PM
Gigabyte GA-8KNXP and Promise SX4000 RAID Controller Old Dude Gigabyte Motherboards 4 November 12th 03 08:26 PM
DAW & Windows XP RAID Tips, ProTools error -9086 Giganews Asus Motherboards 0 October 24th 03 06:45 AM