Using PS/2 and USB with a KVM Switch?

Old July 31st 03, 11:21 AM
Thomas M

Default Using PS/2 and USB with a KVM Switch?

I am currently looking at a couple of Belkin KVM switches. I have the
need for a switch that supports both PS/2 and USB, plus audio.

The Belkin F1DS104T switch supports audio, along with both PS/2 and USB
to the client computers, but is PS/2 only on the console, meaning that I
would not be able to use a USB keyboard and mouse with the switch.
Belkin maintains that I could not use a USB to PS/2 adaptor on the
console port. The Belkin F1DS104U supports audio and USB, but does not
support PS/2 at all--not on the console or to the client machines.

I think that USB will be the standard for keyboards and mice in the
future, so I really want a KVM switch that will support USB on the
console. However, at the same time, I need to use the switch with
several PS/2 machines, one of which does not have a USB port.

So here's my question: Belkin says that I cannot use a USB to PS/2
adaptor going into the F1DS104T switch (PS/2 on the console, PS/2 and USB
on all other ports). Okay. How about if I buy the F1DS104U switch (USB
only) and use USB devices going into the console port on the switch, but
then use USB to PS/2 adaptors going into the back of my PS/2 machines?
Will that work?

--Tom