EMERGENCY P4P800 won't boot NT server

Old September 16th 04, 09:14 PM
Martin Schneider

Default EMERGENCY P4P800 won't boot NT server

Hi!

Sorry for being dramatic, but our server is down due to a mainboard failure
and the replacement board won't boot up. Here are the details:

NT 4.0 Server on IDE harddisk connected to a P4P800 board.

The disk is detected correctly and is set as the primary boot device. The
partition is intact, the disk will boot correctly on another system. But the
board will just not recognize it's bootable and advises me to reset and set
another boot device.

A disk containing Windows 2000 / XP dual boot is recognized correctly.

I'm at a loss... And I have to have the system back up by tomorrow morning
:-)

Thank you for your ideas!

Best regards,
Martin

Old September 16th 04, 09:15 PM
Martin Schneider

"Martin Schneider" wrote in message
I'm at a loss... And I have to have the system back up by tomorrow morning
:-)

One more thing... I cannot boot from the NT server CD either - the system
just hangs there.

Best regards,
Martin

Old September 17th 04, 01:09 AM
Paul

In article , "Martin Schneider"
wrote:

Hi!

Sorry for being dramatic, but our server is down due to a mainboard failure
and the replacement board won't boot up. Here are the details:

NT 4.0 Server on IDE harddisk connected to a P4P800 board.

The disk is detected correctly and is set as the primary boot device. The
partition is intact, the disk will boot correctly on another system. But the
board will just not recognize it's bootable and advises me to reset and set
another boot device.

A disk containing Windows 2000 / XP dual boot is recognized correctly.

I'm at a loss... And I have to have the system back up by tomorrow morning
:-)

Thank you for your ideas!

Best regards,
Martin

Onboard IDE Operate Mode [Enhanced] for Win2K/WinXP
Onboard IDE Operate Mode [Compatible] for previous OS

Select a Compatible mode, Save and Exit, then reenter BIOS
and set up the Boot Order, as with the AMI BIOS, you are
forever reconfiguring the Boot Order.

Also check for a HAL mismatch. Maybe something in the Power Menu
is affecting the boot ?

ACPI 2.0 Support [No]
ACPI APIC Support [Enabled]

Just a guess,
Paul
Old September 17th 04, 01:05 PM
Martin Schneider

"Paul" wrote in message
Onboard IDE Operate Mode [Enhanced] for Win2K/WinXP
Onboard IDE Operate Mode [Compatible] for previous OS

Select a Compatible mode, Save and Exit, then reenter BIOS
and set up the Boot Order, as with the AMI BIOS, you are
forever reconfiguring the Boot Order.

Also check for a HAL mismatch. Maybe something in the Power Menu
is affecting the boot ?

ACPI 2.0 Support [No]
ACPI APIC Support [Enabled]

Just a guess,
Paul

Thanks for your ideas.

I got it running - it was a combination of two problems.

I already tried "compatible" setting, but this didn't work either when I had
a Promise Raid controller in the system with disks connected. Without disks
connected, now the NT disk got identified correctly. After plugging the
Promise controller into the lowermost slot, the system boots fine.

Best regards,
Martin