[UK] Evesham Technology slapped on wrist by ASA for spamming

Old February 13th 04, 09:52 AM
Bagpuss

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 23:11:02 +0000, Don Moody
wrote:

Unfortunately, there simply is no history and almost no pride in supply
of computer products and services. It's a box-shifting business with no
long term horizon. It is not mature. It hasn't yet separated into the
cheap price and no value trash versus the slightly more expensive price
and full value service streams.

It has to a certain degree round here although one dealer seems to
live on no value trash with full value service at an expensive price.

Look at the usual postings in ucv, so many are after the cheapest
price then whinges when they have a paddy when the service is poor.
Everyone wants service but doesn't want to pay. It can't mature until
the customers realise that they need good service and will start to
pay the extra 5% or 10% to get a better service.

I wish the suppliers would read what
John Ruskin had to say 150 years ago about good business deals. His law
of business is that if you pay too little you wind up with nothing
because what you buy will not do what you bought it for.

Yep, also loko at the Terry Pratchett books about upper classes and
poverty. They always seem broke becuase they have old furniture. They
have old furniture becuase they paid a lot more in the first place and
it lasted for much longer. Cheap in the long run but more expensive up
front.

Whereas if you
pay a little more for something that does do what you want, you have
value for your money. It requires a customer educated to pay enough, and
a supplier educated to deliver enough.

So I'm not bothered about people who say they are leaving Demon because
they can buy something cheaper (and inevitably nastier) elsewhere. I am
bothered when Demon doesn't deliver value it could so easily deliver.

Don

Old February 13th 04, 04:28 PM
Les Desser

In article , Bagpuss
writes

Cheap in the long run but more expensive up front.

I heard a nice quote recently from someone's ancestor - "We're not so
rich that we can buy cheap"
--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS correct - hope Swen ignores it))
Old February 13th 04, 05:28 PM
Morely Dotes

"Anthony W. Youngman" wrote in
:

Okay, I get well ****ed off with people who say "the Queen's English" is
correct and everything else is wrong (after all, "the Queen's English"
is one of the *newest* dialects in use), but having spent some time on
the phone (I'm a southerner) to a customer service guy located in (I
presume) Scotland, I had a hard time trying to understand the accent.
But at least we shared a native language.

Wot's that, then? Gaelic?

--
Want SPEWS-filtered and SBL-filtered email?
http://www.spamblocked.com/index.html
Old February 13th 04, 07:24 PM
Anthony W. Youngman

In article , Tony Bryer
writes
In article 47,
Morely Dotes wrote:
Bull****. The stuff coming through the Post is delivered at the
*senders'* expense.

And all those AOL etc CD's and the junk mail that people don't put
in the recycling bins (only 17.5% of waste in LB Richmond is
recycled and we are reputedly better than most) gets taken away at
the recipients expense - in our case ending up in landfill in
Bedfordshire (disposal cost about £20/ton IIRC). The argument that
junk snail mail is OK because it costs the recipients nothing is
fallacious.

You are better than most. The average is about 12-13%. And where I live
(LB Bexley), we're really ****ed off because our figure is about 25%,
and six other LBs - ALL of whom are below the average - want to build an
incinerator in OUR patch to burn THEIR rubbish :-(

Cheers,
Wol
Witches are curious by definition and inquisitive by nature. She moved in. "Let
me through. I'm a nosey person.", she said, employing both elbows.
Maskerade : (c) 1995 Terry Pratchett
Old February 15th 04, 08:19 PM
Jack

Hammond Organ wrote:

In article , Brian {Hamilton Kelly}
writes

[1] I suppose I ought not to be surprised, since A+L took over that
wondrous invention of Anthony Wedgwood-Benn, the National Giro, and the
latter was based in Liverpool.

s/Liverpool/Bootle/

Bootle is *in* Liverpool. Have you ever been there, Mr. Organ?

--
Jack.
Old February 15th 04, 08:45 PM
Hammond Organ

In article , Jack
writes
Hammond Organ wrote:

In article , Brian {Hamilton Kelly}
writes

[1] I suppose I ought not to be surprised, since A+L took over that
wondrous invention of Anthony Wedgwood-Benn, the National Giro, and the
latter was based in Liverpool.

s/Liverpool/Bootle/

Bootle is *in* Liverpool. Have you ever been there, Mr. Organ?

Actually, yes - and the Scousers I know would view Bootle
[together with Maghull/Kirkby/Huyton and suchlike] as _not_
part of Liverpool proper.

Dammit, you'll be suggesting _Everton_ is part of Liverpool
next.

[exit right not wishing to incite football-related genocide]
Old February 15th 04, 09:20 PM
Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr.

Hammond Organ wrote:

In article , Jack
writes

Hammond Organ wrote:

In article , Brian {Hamilton Kelly}
writes

[1] I suppose I ought not to be surprised, since A+L took over that
wondrous invention of Anthony Wedgwood-Benn, the National Giro, and the
latter was based in Liverpool.

s/Liverpool/Bootle/

Bootle is *in* Liverpool. Have you ever been there, Mr. Organ?

Actually, yes - and the Scousers I know would view Bootle
[together with Maghull/Kirkby/Huyton and suchlike] as _not_
part of Liverpool proper.

Dammit, you'll be suggesting _Everton_ is part of Liverpool
next.

[exit right not wishing to incite football-related genocide]

Where did I get the notion that there is nothing proper about Liverpool?

(I don't think I have ever been there, so I have no first hand knowledge
one way or another.)

Old February 15th 04, 09:50 PM
Jack

Hammond Organ wrote:

Actually, yes - and the Scousers I know would view Bootle [together
with Maghull/Kirkby/Huyton and suchlike] as _not_ part of Liverpool
proper.

"Kirkby"? Perhaps you were referring to "Kirby" (pron. "Kairbee") -
where the grips come from.

--
Jack.
Old February 16th 04, 12:26 AM
Edwin Petree

Jack wrote in news:c0om2n$b3t$1$8300dec7
@news.demon.co.uk:

"Kirby" (pron. "Kairbee") -

Some people over --- there, and some people over --- there, pronounce
"kairbee" in a different, and possibly suprising, way.

You might want to have a look at ascii IPA.

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Evan_Kirshenbaum/IPA/english.html

(Not sure what the IBM AS/400ers would do though...)