Who has experience Cloning LUN's with EMC Clariion

Old October 16th 03, 07:02 PM
Louis

Default Who has experience Cloning LUN's with EMC Clariion

Hi,

We are thinking of purchasing the EMC Clariion CX 600. We are going to store
our databases on it. We are told that its easy to make a clone of a
LUN.

We have a 200 GB database that we want to clone very hour. The cloned
database will be used as read-only database for clients. Has anyone
experience with this. It should be fast (less then a minute) and reliable.

Thanks,

Louis Banens

Old October 16th 03, 07:19 PM
Nik Simpson

Louis wrote:
Hi,

We are thinking of purchasing the EMC Clariion CX 600. We are going
to store our databases on it. We are told that its easy to make a
clone of a
LUN.

We have a 200 GB database that we want to clone very hour. The cloned
database will be used as read-only database for clients. Has anyone
experience with this. It should be fast (less then a minute) and
reliable.

You will not get a true clone of that amount of data, it would have to be a
copy-on-write snapshot, in which case make sure you order SnapView as part
of the package which is the Clariion snapshot option. Part from thaat it's
pretty straightforward, though you may have to flush the DB buffer caches
before each snapshot, edpends a bit on what the readonly clients will do
with the data.

--
Nik Simpson

Old October 17th 03, 04:34 AM
Maxim S. Shatskih

We have a 200 GB database that we want to clone very hour. The cloned
database will be used as read-only database for clients. Has anyone

Can database server's transaction-log-based replication help? MSSQLServer had
this since 1995, and I expect Oracle has this too for a long.

How aggressively is your data updated?

I would prefer the database-server-based solution, not the RAID-box-based. It
will preserve the transaction boundaries at least.

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation

http://www.storagecraft.com

Old October 17th 03, 11:36 AM
Nik Simpson

Maxim S. Shatskih wrote:
We have a 200 GB database that we want to clone very hour. The cloned
database will be used as read-only database for clients. Has anyone

Can database server's transaction-log-based replication help?
MSSQLServer had this since 1995, and I expect Oracle has this too for
a long.

How aggressively is your data updated?

I would prefer the database-server-based solution, not the
RAID-box-based. It will preserve the transaction boundaries at least.

An array based Snapshot integrated with the host OS & applications will also
accomplish this, i.e. quiesce the DB, flush any uncommited writes and issue
the snapshot. A good example of this approach would be W2K03 and SQLServer
along with a VSS aware storage array.

--
Nik Simpson

Old October 17th 03, 12:58 PM
Maxim S. Shatskih

An array based Snapshot integrated with the host OS & applications will also
accomplish this, i.e. quiesce the DB, flush any uncommited writes and issue
the snapshot. A good example of this approach would be W2K03 and SQLServer
along with a VSS aware storage array.

Are all database servers aware of this? what of other OSes?

Old October 17th 03, 03:08 PM
Nik Simpson

Maxim S. Shatskih wrote:
An array based Snapshot integrated with the host OS & applications
will also accomplish this, i.e. quiesce the DB, flush any uncommited
writes and issue the snapshot. A good example of this approach would
be W2K03 and SQLServer along with a VSS aware storage array.

Are all database servers aware of this? what of other OSes?

It's a good bet that all the DB vendors on Windows either have or will make
their DB VSS aware as part of revving those applications to make full use of
W2K03. As to other OS platforms, there is no standard I/F for accessing
snapshots, Windows is breaking new ground with hardware independent
functions like VSS.

--
Nik Simpson

Old October 17th 03, 07:01 PM
Maxim S. Shatskih

W2K03. As to other OS platforms, there is no standard I/F for accessing
snapshots, Windows is breaking new ground with hardware independent
functions like VSS.

Too bad UNIXen will not send some signal to processes while making a snapshot.

Also VSS is w2k3 only, lots of people are running older NTs. Nevertheless, the
technology is great and can support nearly all possible RAID boxes - the vendor
must just write a COM EXE which will send the SCSI CDBs to a box in response to
VSS calls.

Old October 19th 03, 03:57 PM
TeKn0

Can database server's transaction-log-based replication help?
MSSQLServer had this since 1995, and I expect Oracle has this too for
a long.

How aggressively is your data updated?

I would prefer the database-server-based solution, not the
RAID-box-based. It will preserve the transaction boundaries at least.

An array based Snapshot integrated with the host OS & applications will

also
accomplish this, i.e. quiesce the DB, flush any uncommited writes and

issue
the snapshot. A good example of this approach would be W2K03 and SQLServer
along with a VSS aware storage array.

Be aware that the snapshot function will still put load on your original
LUNs. The Snaphot is just a bunch of pointers to the original data blocks.
As a result, reading from a snapshot will have cache and performance
implications on your production environment.

Also be aware there are some serious bugs in Power Path 3.0.5 on Win2K3.

--T

Old October 21st 03, 06:53 PM
Sean Cummins

"Nik Simpson" wrote in message .. .
Louis wrote:
[...]

Actually, this is no longer correct. SnapView 2.0 on the CX600 now
has true cloning capability, along with the traditional copy-on-write
snapshot capability.

- Sean