W2k EMC install problem with LUN greater 0

Old October 10th 03, 10:17 AM
Oliver Fischer

Default W2k EMC install problem with LUN greater 0

Hello NG

i hope you can help me or figure out my problem

whenn I´m in the wrong NG please told me

My System:
IBM Netfinity 7000 M10
Qlogic 2200F direct attached to EMC Symetrix
W2k Advanced Server is installed on the first HD (Disk0)(C that is
assigned
from EMC
every thing ok until here

Now my problem

I try to Install an second W2k for Backup operations on HD 2 (Disk1)
that is assigned from EMC
but i get the error message from the W2k installer that i can not
install W2k on an LUN greater than 0

I get also an Message every boot from Qlogic Adapter Bios looks like
this

Drive Letter C: is Moved to Drive Letter D:
Loop ID 27,0 is Installed As Drive C:

best regards

Oliver
Old October 10th 03, 12:12 PM
Nik Simpson

Oliver Fischer wrote:
Hello NG

I get also an Message every boot from Qlogic Adapter Bios looks like
this

Drive Letter C: is Moved to Drive Letter D:
Loop ID 27,0 is Installed As Drive C:

Sounds like you've got the BIOS enabled on the QLOGIC HBA, try disabling it,
that's worked for me in the past with booting W2K from the SAN.

--
Nik Simpson

Old October 10th 03, 02:43 PM
Kurt Duncan

I'm going to make the following assumption: Both W2k hosts can see all the
devices on the storage array. If this is true, this is a Bad Thing. This
only works for W2k cluster, and only if the two hosts cannot see each
other's system/boot drives. Additionally, it sounds like W2k / QLogic
really want at least the system drive to be LUN 0.

You need some sort of LUN masking technology, so that one volume in the
array is LUN 0 for host 1, and another volume in the array is LUN 0 for host
2. The other volumes (data volumes, I presume) on the array can be shared
by the hosts, but ONLY if you have clustering.

Specifically, you cannot let host 2 see host 1's volumes (system/boot, or
data) without some seriously intelligent file-system hacks (Veritas,
maybe?). This (if I understand correctly) pretty much puts a damper on the
backup-host idea. Been there, done that, have the corrupted data to prove
it...

This is because:
a) host 1 will host-cache data. That is, just because you write to disk,
does not mean that it actually gets to disk for some finite (sometimes long)
period of time.
b) host 2 will host-cache data. That means, even after host 1 writes data
to disk, if that sector was in host 2's cache, host 2 will not bother to
re-read the data from disk, and you'll never see the update on host 2.
c) host 2 will occasionally try to write to the drives, thus corrupting
them, as far as host 1 is concerned.

You may want to investigate the snapshot capabilities in Win2003. That may
help...

Old October 14th 03, 08:06 PM

"Nik Simpson" wrote in message ...
Oliver Fischer wrote:
Hello NG

I get also an Message every boot from Qlogic Adapter Bios looks like
this

Drive Letter C: is Moved to Drive Letter D:
Loop ID 27,0 is Installed As Drive C:

Sounds like you've got the BIOS enabled on the QLOGIC HBA, try disabling it,
that's worked for me in the past with booting W2K from the SAN.

As far as I know, Qlogics BIOS have to be enabled for SAN boot
capability. If it is enabled, the BIOS let you see all of your SAN
discs and give you a choise
from which to boot. These special boot option can be seen if you
entered Qlogics FastUtil during system boot, I guess Ctrl+Q is the
key.

My personal assumption is that W2k mixed up all detected FC-Luns each
time you boot and/or bind detected FC-Luns to one single scsi-target
id with multiple Luns. You should try to use Qlogics Sansurfer Toolkit
(it's free) for making sort of persistent binding to the detected
discs. As far as I remember this tool let you define a fixed scsi
target id for each FC-LUN, though you might overcome that problem with
windows installer.

Nevertheless, as Kurt Duncan said, no other system, except cluster
systems, should have access to these discs, too. For that purpose EMC
Symmetrix systems comes with VolumeLogix, EMC Clariion systems uses
AccessLogix.

Rene
Old October 14th 03, 08:10 PM
Maxim S. Shatskih

My personal assumption is that W2k mixed up all detected FC-Luns each
time you boot and/or bind detected FC-Luns to one single scsi-target
id with multiple Luns.

This behaviour depends not on w2k OS, but on a particular SCSI miniport
driver - Qlogic in this case.

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation

http://www.storagecraft.com

Old October 15th 03, 09:41 AM

"Maxim S. Shatskih" wrote in message ...
My personal assumption is that W2k mixed up all detected FC-Luns each
time you boot and/or bind detected FC-Luns to one single scsi-target
id with multiple Luns.

This behaviour depends not on w2k OS, but on a particular SCSI miniport
driver - Qlogic in this case.

Right. So from the customers point of view he stucks with the miniport
driver. Storport is only available for QLA23xx HBAs and Windows2003.
Port drivers aren't available, are they?

For all recommended EMC drivers use:
http://www.emc.com/horizontal/intero...t_matrices.jsp

Rene
Old October 15th 03, 02:59 PM
Maxim S. Shatskih

Right. So from the customers point of view he stucks with the miniport
driver. Storport is only available for QLA23xx HBAs and Windows2003.
Port drivers aren't available, are they?

This is not a SCSIPORT problem. SCSIPORT does not impose any requirements or
whether the devices sit on the same target - or on different targets. This is
the miniport's decision, for SCSI, it depends on the physical bus layout, for
FC, can be emulated.

It is possible to implement the sane ID invention logic using SCSIPORT.

Port drivers are available, we sell one, for instance :-)