CD discs not recognized

Old July 5th 03, 03:33 PM
Chopperdad

Default CD discs not recognized

I switched out the cable after talking to Memorex, but that didn't do
anything.

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
Change the BIOS setup so that the boot order is removable, CD-ROM drive,

hard
disk. Then see if the system boots from the Windows 98 SE. If not, the

drive
is either dead or maybe one of its electronic connections is loose... Ben

Myers

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 09:14:45 -0400, "Chopperdad"

wrote:

It won't or at least I tried to boot to a bootable Windows 98SE CD. The
BIOS though is set up to go to a removable drive first, then the hard

drive
and then the CD-Drive.

Old July 6th 03, 12:39 PM
WDS

Did you try cleaning the drive with a CD drive cleaner?

"Chopperdad" wrote in message
. ..
Starting yesterday my CD-RW wouldn't recognize that any CD discs that were
in it. My Computer shows that I have A "D" drive and that it is a CD-ROM,
but if I put any disk into it, the icon doesn't change to show the name of
the disc. The light would flash acknowledging that a disc was put in,
attempting to auto load, but if I click on it, it says "D: Drive not

ready"
or something like that. I talked to Gateway about it and they thought the
CD drive had gone bad and I talked to Memorex and they think it is a bad
cable but I replaced the cable and it was hooked up to my Zip drive and

the
Zip drive was working okay with no problems what so ever. I've had the CD
drive about a month since it replaced a DVD-ROM that didn't work any more
and it was working great for the month until yesterday when it failed to
recognize any disks.

Is the drive bad as Gateway thinks it is or is there a problem with the
computer, and if so, how do I fix it since it won't recognize any CD

discs?

I have a Gateway G6-400 with Windows 98SE and the CD-ROM drive is a

Memorex
52/24/52 CD-RW.

Old July 7th 03, 11:02 AM
Albert Alcoceba

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 08:02:38 -0400, "Chopperdad"
wrote:

Considering the drive is only 3 weeks old I don't think that would be an
issue with it. My DVD-ROM that it replaced read disks up until the motor
died a month ago and that was 4 1/2 years.

It's weird what bit of dust or fluff can blow into your drive when you
least expect it. My current CD-R/W drive was only 5 weeks old when it
stopped reading CDs of any description. 2 mins with a drive cleaner
and it's been working flawlessly for the past 6 months.

My previous drives have lasted years without cleaning. It's not
something you can predict or avoid and it's definitly worth the few
dollars to buy a cleaner and try it out.

Gateway techs should not consider doing anything else with the drive
until you are satisfied that you have tried the cleaner. In my time
as a Gateway Tech we were not permitted to do any more trouble
shooting until that simple step had beent tried by the customer.

Albert Alcoceba

http://www.answersbook.org/
Old July 7th 03, 10:12 PM
Carol and Allen Bredt

Is there a particular brand or type of disk cleaner that you recommend?

Thanks, Carol

--
C and A Bredt (Remove X from To: address for private e-mail)

Old July 8th 03, 08:55 AM
Albert Alcoceba

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 21:12:52 GMT, "Carol and Allen Bredt"
wrote:

Is there a particular brand or type of disk cleaner that you recommend?

Not really... I urgently needed a my cd-rw drive so I just ran into
the supermarket and bought the only one they had and it worked fine.

Albert Alcoceba

http://www.answersbook.org/
Old July 8th 03, 12:20 PM
Chopperdad

They never even suggested that even after knowing that it wasn't their
drive. But we were talking about how to fix the problem for over 5 minutes.

wrote:

[...]

How do I place cues within a track? Mike Richter Cdr 2 October 6th 04 08:25 PM
When Good Discs Go Bad Ablang General 0 June 27th 04 03:47 AM
Why can't I burn + discs on my 107D +/- burner properly? Dave Reid Cdr 8 June 23rd 04 09:54 PM
Need HELP - Can Not Get QR discs to Work Steve Compaq Computers 16 May 26th 04 12:04 PM
Win XP Sp1 CD ROM and DVD Rom Not Recognizing Newly inserted discs Hunter Cdr 5 December 12th 03 06:33 AM