avoiding dust build-up

Old April 27th 05, 01:35 PM
Matt Lobegeiger

Default avoiding dust build-up

Hi again,
Just wondering if anyones got any ingenious methods of stopping dust from
accumulating inside their cases. Has anyone tried covering the airflow holes
with fine mesh-type filter material, like the stuff in air conditioner or
clothes dryers filters? I'm guessing it would reduce air flow quite a bit,
and possibly cause more harm than good.

Anyone tried it or got any other methods?

matt

Old April 27th 05, 02:15 PM
John Doe

"Matt Lobegeiger" wrote:

Just wondering if anyones got any ingenious methods of stopping
dust from accumulating inside their cases. Has anyone tried
covering the airflow holes with fine mesh-type filter material,
like the stuff in air conditioner or clothes dryers filters? I'm
guessing it would reduce air flow quite a bit, and possibly
cause more harm than good.

Some cases come with intake area wire/plastic mesh filters, the
Antec SLK3700AMB for example. It's fine.
Old April 27th 05, 02:27 PM
old john

hi matt the eternal problem is dust in the air. it gets sucked into your
computer, and also blown out, so any filter will eventually get blocked.
it`s probably better just to give have a clean out now and then. best
wishes..J

Old April 27th 05, 03:05 PM
Al Dykes

In article ,
old john wrote:
hi matt the eternal problem is dust in the air. it gets sucked into your
computer, and also blown out, so any filter will eventually get blocked.
it`s probably better just to give have a clean out now and then. best
wishes..J

"Matt Lobegeiger" wrote in message
u...
Hi again,
Just wondering if anyones got any ingenious methods of stopping dust from
accumulating inside their cases. Has anyone tried covering the airflow
holes
with fine mesh-type filter material, like the stuff in air conditioner or
clothes dryers filters? I'm guessing it would reduce air flow quite a bit,
and possibly cause more harm than good.

Anyone tried it or got any other methods?

matt

I've used pieces of A/C filter in front of the air intake fan on my
PCs for years. I monitor internal temp so if the filter should get
clogged I'll know in plenty of time.

It keeps the worst of the dust out of the chasis. When I open the machine
up I blow dust out with a can of gas.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Old April 27th 05, 03:11 PM
old john

"Al Dykes" wrote in message
In article ,
old john wrote:
hi matt the eternal problem is dust in the air. it gets sucked into your
computer, and also blown out, so any filter will eventually get blocked.
it`s probably better just to give have a clean out now and then. best
wishes..J

"Matt Lobegeiger" wrote in message
. au...
Hi again,

snip
It keeps the worst of the dust out of the chasis. When I open the machine
up I blow dust out with a can of gas.

pity you couldn`t blow dubbya out with a can of gas lol

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

I would have voted for Al, problem is I`m English, and they wouldn`t let me.
best wishes..J

Old April 27th 05, 03:56 PM
Shep©

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 22:35:00 +1000 If I have seen farther it is
because I have stood on the shoulder of giants "Matt Lobegeiger"
wrote :

Hi again,
Just wondering if anyones got any ingenious methods of stopping dust from
accumulating inside their cases. Has anyone tried covering the airflow holes
with fine mesh-type filter material, like the stuff in air conditioner or
clothes dryers filters? I'm guessing it would reduce air flow quite a bit,
and possibly cause more harm than good.

Anyone tried it or got any other methods?

matt

Many case fans can now have filters,
http://www.cclonline.com/product-search-results.asp
However as another poster does no harm to have a,"Spring clean" and in
fact I highly recommend it as many PC problems come from lack of
internal cleanliness/bad housekeeping.

Tools Required.

Screwdriver to open case if required.

Clean small paint brush for brushing off dust.

Tac Rag
http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/s/STATR/
to pick up dust etc.

Servisol or it's like Isopropanol Switch cleaner for cleaning PCI/AGP
slots and card edge connectors and spraying cable plugs and sockets.

Torch so you can see what you are doing.

HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply
Old April 27th 05, 04:26 PM
Al Dykes

wrote :

[...]

IMO taking things apart just for cleaning is asking for trouble and I
wouldn't spray anything into the mobo of a healthy system. I use a
case filter and I find that dust buildup can wait to the next system
upgrade and get blown out then.

Old April 27th 05, 05:10 PM
JAD

{{{Panix recovers from domain hijack
By John Leyden
Published Monday 17th January 2005 16:19 GMT
Updated The hijack of its domain name on Friday (14 January) has thrown the
operations of a New York ISP into turmoil. Panix staff worked around the
clock over the weekend to recover services after the rug was pulled out from
under its business.
"Panix's main domain name, panix.com, has been hijacked by parties unknown,"
the ISP said in a statement
We found a hairball in the works and with some cleaning all is up and
running..................}}}}}

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

IMO taking things apart just for cleaning is asking for trouble and I
wouldn't spray anything into the mobo of a healthy system. I use a
case filter and I find that dust buildup can wait to the next system
upgrade and get blown out then.
--

If you can get away with it....

seems to me that 10 pounds of cat/dog hair, bird feathers, and vairious
other microbes that make there way into my case in a years time would just
about fill the darn thing up by the time I upgrade. Whilest repairing a PC
in a hospital, i discovered....well you don't want to work on machines that
are used in hospitals.

Live in florida, near the Gulf, computer is in the basement? Then once a
year I would clean everything as descibed by Shep, ''If'' this is a
appliance that you rely on and is more than a conversation piece. Certainly
I wouldn't expect my mom to tear apart her machine to clean it, but I
wouldn't tell her not to do it or have it done if the thing is filthy.

I believe taking care of things with regular maintenance, in order to get my
moneys worth. My 604 MAc and all its scsi array drrives still work
perfectly. My truck has 320,000 miles on it. My desk is from 1901 and the
drawers still work.

Its not for everyone to do themselves, but maintenance shouldn't be ignored.

Old April 27th 05, 05:21 PM

Matt Lobegeiger wrote:
Hi again,
Just wondering if anyones got any ingenious methods of stopping dust

from
accumulating inside their cases. Has anyone tried covering the

airflow holes
with fine mesh-type filter material, like the stuff in air

conditioner or
clothes dryers filters? I'm guessing it would reduce air flow quite a

bit,
and possibly cause more harm than good.

Anyone tried it or got any other methods?

In my case I've got some filter material on my removable side panels.
It was some spare filter material that we used on an extrator fan, and
it works! They're just placed over the holes, and there's a bit of
selotape to hold them there. The amount of dust that builds up seems
to have halved i.e. it needs dusting about half as frequently.

In my case the change in airflow seems to be negligable. My one
doesn't have a huge amount of airflow though. Every month, I remove
the side panel, flick the filter stuff (outside) and a few clouds of
dust comes out of them. Then another month later, I do the same again
and blow the computer out too.

My case has loads of holes on the back of the case, and these holes in
the side panels are for the air intake. My case is big and only has
one fan (and the PSU fan), so I suspect that it won't actually suck
much air in anyway. On the whole I'm really pleased with the filter
material.

Hmm, just thinking about buying some filter material for all of the
other holes :-)

Old April 27th 05, 05:31 PM

JAD wrote:

I believe taking care of things with regular maintenance, in order to

get my
moneys worth. My 604 MAc and all its scsi array drrives still work
perfectly.

lol, until recently I still had a 25MHz 68030 Performa 450. It worked
great, but we gave it away to make some room. When we got rid of it, a
few months ago, it must've been almost 15 years old. It was the most
reliable computer in the house though.

It had been working for years in our freezing cold garage, and most
modern computers won't. My old PII 350MHz behaves very strangely in
the garage, even when it's not particularly cold in there. There were
also a few other machines that behaved weird in the garage. The one
we've got in there now occasionally decides it can't find any DLL's
when it's cold, the old PII beeped like mad sometimes. The Mac was
fine though, the only thing that had ever been replaced was the PSU,
when the switch went.